Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

Wasn't a rescheduled Design Review Panel hearing supposed to be this week? I don't think it happened. That would be two cancelled meetings to present the new design. Looks like they're being advised off the record to go back to the drawing board.

Wasn't a rescheduled Design Review Panel hearing supposed to be this week? I don't think it happened. That would be two cancelled meetings to present the new design. Looks like they're being advised off the record to go back to the drawing board.

The next WT DRP is scheduled for October 19th. Agenda not available yet.

AoD

From the upcoming October 25 WT Board Meeting CEO Report:

Waterfront Innovation Centre (Blocks 1 & 2)
Waterfront Toronto continues to work with Menkes towards completing a Development Agreement and Ground Lease for the Innovation Centre. Menkes has provided a financial offer for two options to the City – a long term land lease with a lump sum payment or a land purchase. Waterfront Toronto is preparing recommendations for City Council consideration in January, 2017. Menkes continues its marketing and leasing efforts to pursue tenants for the Innovation Centre, with a number of exciting potential tenants showing interest. (p.2)

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/item_4___ceo_report___october_25_2016_1.pdf

AoD

Now, if we want to see innovative architecture, here is an excellent example that walks the talk:

http://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/11965-the-port-house-by-zaha-hadid-architects

AoD

I feel like a not altogether terrible (though admittedly highly subjective) litmus test for the design of all of the new buildings along the waterfront should have been something along the lines of "will tourists ever want to swing by and take pictures of this building?" That Zaha building, whether or not one likes its design, definitely satisfies that criteria.

You see regular, non-architecture-nerd folks stopping to snap pictures of the Libeskind ROM crystal, of Alsop's OCAD pencil sticks, and of a few others around the city, but I really wish we had at least one of that sort completed (or even planned) for the waterfront.

Unfortunately ,we are not ready to see that in Toronto.
Toronto never was a leader in term of striking architecture.
I would like to see more innovative project in Toronto.

I feel like a not altogether terrible (though admittedly highly subjective) litmus test for the design of all of the new buildings along the waterfront should have been something along the lines of "will tourists ever want to swing by and take pictures of this building?" That Zaha building, whether or not one likes its design, definitely satisfies that criteria.

You see regular, non-architecture-nerd folks stopping to snap pictures of the Libeskind ROM crystal, of Alsop's OCAD pencil sticks, and of a few others around the city, but I really wish we had at least one of that sort completed (or even planned) for the waterfront.

There are caveats using that criteria, but in general I'd say it's definitely one test to look for.

AoD

There are caveats using that criteria, but in general I'd say it's definitely one test to look for.

AoD

Oh yeah -- super imperfect, and of course inadequate as a standalone test, but also kind of how I think about one type of design intrigue and diversity.

The amount of people who do this with the SLC is astounding, even approaching two years since it's opening.

A lot of them seem like tourists as well.

The amount of people who do this with the SLC is astounding, even approaching two years since it's opening.

A lot of them seem like tourists as well.

Yup, there is a surprising number of people taking photos of SLC. It's a resounding architectural success. It anchored the corner and served extremely well as the face to the city, as an entrance/exit point as well as a quasi-public space (just look at how populated the steps are). Let's not forget for a moment that the initial proposal for the WIC attempted to crudely imitate the SLC either.

Anyone seeing this with the current Menkes proposal? Waterfront Toronto should ask themselves that before they blow another horn about how this project is about "innovation". No, this project is conservative - a soul-deadening generic nothing that could fit in Airport Corporate Centre just as well.

AoD

Last edited:
Or how about this by DS+R:

http://www.architecturalrecord.com/...-center-at-columbia-university-medical-center

It looked even more spectacular than the renderings suggested. This is innovation. Interestingly:

According to Melrose, the Vagelos Center is one of only a handful of U.S. projects to deploy weight-saving void formers (hollow plastic balls embedded in the concrete) and the country’s first to use them in conjunction with post-tensioning.

This project used the void former system as did the NADAAA U of T FALD project.

AoD

Well, it's inching closer - from the Dec WT Board Meeting CEO Report:

Waterfront Innovation Centre (Blocks 1 & 2)
Waterfront Toronto is working closely with the City on a staff report to Council for March 2017 to
consider the proposal from Menkes for the proposed Innovation Centre at Queens Quay East and
Dockside Dr. City Staff, Menkes and Waterfront Toronto are currently finalizing the major terms of
the transaction for inclusion in the staff report. In the meantime, Menkes has fully launched the
marketing and leasing efforts to pursue tenants for the Innovation Centre, with significant market
interest.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo..._report___december_12_2016_consolidated_1.pdf

AoD

Back