Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

Both look cool. There are sufficient differences between the two, as well. I'd be quite happy to look at either one from my office. The staircase on the proposed building makes for a killer grand entrance.

Their similarities are undeniable to me. However I'd love to see it built, its gorgeous and I'm curious to see how it will turn out material wise etc, and in such a different setting. Maybe its coincidental, maybe it is a direct reference, maybe we are just seeing Snohetta in this because Ryerson slc is in the spot light right now. I don't know. But the waterfront could use something like this for sure.

Don't we want local firms to be inspired by international ones?

Geesh we should be celebrating not whining! This city has been on quite a roll. I'm sure we've all noticed the similarities between so many of the condos going up....is that plagiarism? Every one is influenced by everyone else to some degree...some people call it fashion...whether in clothing or whatever else

Definitely, but I don't know that it would encourage any more sitting than concrete.

Honestly though, I suspect comfort will be all but a minor issue for usage of that space. I would put far, far more stock on durability and presentablity instead.

AoD

What would be a better material that is as durable?

I think for a bench durability should be a secondary concern after user friendliness and maybe even a tertiary concern after good aesthetics. A wood bench might wear faster than concrete, metal or stone, but those same alternatives are unbearable to use for 1/3 of the year in our climate. (Which, ironically, probably helps them stay in good repair even longer.)

For my two cents, an ideal bench for Toronto's climate might be wood or plastic at the seat and back rest (if applicable) with a stone/concrete/metal framework.

I think for a bench durability should be a secondary concern after user friendliness and maybe even a tertiary concern after good aesthetics. A wood bench might wear faster than concrete, metal or stone, but those same alternatives are unbearable to use for 1/3 of the year in our climate. (Which, ironically, probably helps them stay in good repair even longer.)

For my two cents, an ideal bench for Toronto's climate might be wood or plastic at the seat and back rest (if applicable) with a stone/concrete/metal framework.

I highly doubt that any materials, short of being heated, would be bearable to use 1/3 of the year in an exposed area given our climate in any case.

AoD

This is at the Waterfront Toronto Design Review Panel for its first review now. It would appear that the value engineering process is in full swing since the winning design was announced… in other words, the design is getting more rectilinear.

This is at the Waterfront Toronto Design Review Panel for its first review now. It would appear that the value engineering process is in full swing since the winning design was announced… in other words, the design is getting more rectilinear.

What's the point of holding a design competition and RFP if the design gets diluted? At what point is this considered a bait and switch?

When my company responds to an RFP, we can't change our delivery plan after the fact. We'd get shown the door.

Good question. Some competitions only require an uncosted concept. Not sure if that was the case here exactly, but IIRC, the winner was chosen based on a Design Build Finance scheme. The panel members were not involved, AFAIK, in choosing the winning proposal.

The panel has voiced considerable concern over this design, with many of them questioning its resemblance to Ryerson's Student Learning Centre, its porosity at ground level, its dearth of apparent architectural innovation for a building called "Innovation Centre", and on and on. Details of the concerns will eventually emerge with the minutes in a few weeks.

The vote is for non-support.

For some reason the Toronto waterfront is a magnet for second-rate architecture, when it should have been the exact opposite. This has been going on for decades, and now we have a watered down "innovation centre" to look forward too which I'm sure will fit in beautifully with the ultra boring Chorus Quay and George Brown buildings.

Back