News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto vs Melbourne

canadaniel

Member Bio
Reaction score
All this talk about colour has me all riled up lol. I do architecture photography regularly in Australia. My soft spot is Melbourne. I’ve never been in a city where my jaw drops on every street corner and I want to photograph every building in sight! Not one building looks like the other and the towers burst with colour, every colour imaginable. And the designs are even more incredible. It’s like developers want to out-do each other. It’s breathtaking. I wanna cry every time I come back to Toronto and look at our skyline from my balcony. So much architectural potential never realized. Ugh. Trust me, colour makes all the difference

Yes but if you don't have the grey, you will have neon and pastel colours! The horror!!! Just think of the children.

;)

All this talk about colour has me all riled up lol. I do architecture photography regularly in Australia. My soft spot is Melbourne. I’ve never been in a city where my jaw drops on every street corner and I want to photograph every building in sight! Not one building looks like the other and the towers burst with colour, every colour imaginable. And the designs are even more incredible. It’s like developers want to out-do each other. It’s breathtaking. I wanna cry every time I come back to Toronto and look at our skyline from my balcony. So much architectural potential never realized. Ugh. Trust me, colour makes all the difference

Looking at it right now. I don't think it's all that. In fact, I like the Toronto skyline better.

All this talk about colour has me all riled up lol. I do architecture photography regularly in Australia. My soft spot is Melbourne. I’ve never been in a city where my jaw drops on every street corner and I want to photograph every building in sight! Not one building looks like the other and the towers burst with colour, every colour imaginable. And the designs are even more incredible. It’s like developers want to outdo each other. It’s breathtaking. I wanna cry every time I come back to Toronto and look at our skyline from my balcony. So much architectural potential is never realized. Ugh. Trust me, colour makes all the difference
Really ???
I find Melbourne really bland and rather a smaller version of Toronto. Their new buildings are all glass as well. For me, the most jaw-dropping skyline is Chicago (with its iconic towers), Singapore (Just Brilliant) and Shenzhen (Due to the brilliant lighting and density).
Melbourne I find like a cheap knockoff version of Sydney with more towers but half the iconic beauty. Toronto is much better in my humble opinion.

I mean grey can be sometimes good. Toronto has taller towers. But I love Melbourne too.

Really ???
I find Melbourne really bland and rather a smaller version of Toronto. Their new buildings are all glass as well. For me, the most jaw-dropping skyline is Chicago (with its iconic towers), Singapore (Just Brilliant) and Shenzhen (Due to the brilliant lighting and density).
Melbourne I find like a cheap knockoff version of Sydney with more towers but half the iconic beauty. Toronto is much better in my humble opinion.
Oh gosh, to each his own but there’s nothing bland in any way about Melbourne. I go to Melbourne every few years and there simply is no comparison to here whatsoever. Like, at all! Even their car parks are dazzling. I’ve never seen so many beautiful podiums and atriums in my life and their creative use of geometry in their design with colour is unreal and even unthinkable. Clayton and LaTrobe campuses and even Melbourne Uni are wild. Chadstone and Eastland shopping centres are stunning! Don’t get me wrong, I love Toronto but I go back to Melbourne regularly just for architecture photography alone. Anyway, I’m off topic so I’ll stop. Apologies.

Looking at it right now. I don't think it's all that. In fact, I like the Toronto skyline better.
Toronto’s skyline from the lake is awesome and hard to beat!!!! For Melbourne though, it had to be seen to be believed for me. I would have never ever thought it until I went in 2019 and now I go back every 1-2 years just for photography, ok, and fresh Australian mangoes and lychee too lol

I don't know why Toronto is so averse to bold colours. Not just for buildings, but also public art, infrastructure, etc - at least until recently. Take the large public art that resembles a double-headed giant whisk at Yonge & Queens Quay, across from 1 Yonge /old Toronto Star tower. I think there's another nickname, but I can't recall right now. The square was recently rehabilitated, and as I walked under the structure I thought how nice and striking it would look in cobalt blue or fire-engine red, especially on gray days (at least 60% of the year in Toronto). Instead it's in .... dull gray of course! I'm not sure if the city/ developer wanted that specific colour or if it was the artist's vision (if so, why didn't choose another artist?). Thank goodness there are encouraging signs that things are changing - new bridges in West Donlands, Love Park, public art at X condos, to name a few.

Oh gosh, to each his own but there’s nothing bland in any way about Melbourne. I go to Melbourne every few years and there simply is no comparison to here whatsoever. Like, at all! Even their car parks are dazzling

1680881366995.png

. I’ve never seen so many beautiful podiums and atriums in my life and their creative use of geometry in their design with colour is unreal and even unthinkable.

1680881423137.png

1680881501374.png

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Melbourne here, it's a great place with lots to recommend it; and it does have some good architecture, but I do think you're overdoing the hype, and under-selling Toronto.

Clayton and LaTrobe campuses

Clayton:

1680881717631.png

1680881747342.png

This one is interesting:

1680881785012.png

1680881828506.png

Full points for this one:

1680881882004.png

But I really don't know about your thing for their parking garages:

1680881923893.png

.... Chadstone and Eastland shopping centres are stunning!

Chadstone:

1680882048062.png

I will grant, the interior skylight is interesting:

1680882153294.png

Taken from: https://www.archdaily.com/804275/ch...ntre-callisonrtkl-plus-the-buchan-group-photo'

Eastland exterior:

1680882317242.png

Interior:

1680882447255.png

Taken from: https://www.weekendnotes.com/im/009/04/eastland-shopping-centre-one-day-shopping-sales-an1.jpg

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

One more comment on Melbourne. I agree the recent downtown ultra modern towers seem to generally have been built to a higher architectural standard than some of those in Toronto, there aren't many ugly ducklings, however once outside the downtown core Melbourne feels pretty suburban, like a western American city. Toronto's inner suburbs are much more dense and lively. Honestly I find it hard rating one against the other as Toronto is a much larger city.

Oh gosh, to each his own but there’s nothing bland in any way about Melbourne. I go to Melbourne every few years and there simply is no comparison to here whatsoever. Like, at all! Even their car parks are dazzling. I’ve never seen so many beautiful podiums and atriums in my life and their creative use of geometry in their design with colour is unreal and even unthinkable. Clayton and LaTrobe campuses and even Melbourne Uni are wild. Chadstone and Eastland shopping centres are stunning! Don’t get me wrong, I love Toronto but I go back to Melbourne regularly just for architecture photography alone. Anyway, I’m off topic so I’ll stop. Apologies.
Haha I’ve been following you on IG for a while. Didn’t realize you were here too. Your Melbourne shots actually informed what I wanted to see when I went there. I agree with you. There was so much eye candy!

View attachment 467095

View attachment 467096

View attachment 467097

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Melbourne here, its a great place with lots to recommend it; and it does have some good architecture, but I do think you're overdoing the hype, and under-selling Toronto.

Clayton:

View attachment 467100

View attachment 467102

This one is interesting:

View attachment 467106

View attachment 467107

Full points for this one:

View attachment 467108

But I really don't know about your thing for their parking garages:

View attachment 467109

Chadstone:

View attachment 467110

I will grant, the interior skylight is interesting:

View attachment 467111
Taken from: https://www.archdaily.com/804275/ch...ntre-callisonrtkl-plus-the-buchan-group-photo'

Eastland exterior:

View attachment 467112

Interior:

View attachment 467113
Taken from: https://www.weekendnotes.com/im/009/04/eastland-shopping-centre-one-day-shopping-sales-an1.jpg

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Agree with those dull ordinary hideous shots for sure. But I could show you hundreds of amazing ones I’ve taken recently as well that are incredible and the sheer amount of it is what shocks me. Anyway, my lips are sealed about it now 👌🏼

Agree with those dull ordinary hideous shots for sure. But I could show you hundreds of amazing ones I’ve taken recently as well that are incredible and the sheer amount of it is what shocks me. Anyway, my lips are sealed about it now 👌🏼

LOL, nothing wrong w/talking about other places, and highlighting things you like. Worth saying, this forum counts some architects among its members, inspiration could be just the ticket. Though we don't want to go too far off topic
in a given thread.

However, perhaps you could find a spot in the design and architectural style section and start a thread showing us all your favourite buildings/public realm in Melbourne.

Back