Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Today:

28177802550_6d1d4d4e21_h.jpg

28382353731_0170e5c82d_z.jpg

I just saw from the Gardiner Expressway coming to Downtown eastbound how blatantly maladroit this building is in comparison to the rest of downtown. The pink-concrete band running down the edge of the tower is a huge contrast to the darker tones of the other downtown towers from the Gardiner, it's really quite the unsightly observation. If anyone s/else has seen the tower from the Gardiner, I wanna know what you think of it from the expressway.

I just saw from the Gardiner Expressway coming to Downtown eastbound how blatantly maladroit this building is in comparison to the rest of downtown. The pink-concrete band running down the edge of the tower is a huge contrast to the darker tones of the other downtown towers from the Gardiner, it's really quite the unsightly observation. If anyone s/else has seen the tower from the Gardiner, I wanna know what you think of it from the expressway.

Ive seen it from the Gardiner, it's average
..take the time to look around, there is much worst

I know there is worse, but it's just the abysmal overall design, colour and general form choice of this building that seems to put it off from other buildings in it's vicinity. Sure, one could argue something like.. King Charlotte is a tad worse of a highrise, but this project holds itself in a somewhat more key location of the city, and with the decently dramatic idea of this tower rising from two older, heritage-esque, it's a tad disappointing to see the spandrel and concrete used in the way it is.
*From the Gardiner, I meant to include that this tower also seems to be an eye catcher, with the thick band of grey-pink concrete in relation with any buildings seen near it at that perspective.

Whiles not an architectural masterpiece, this building is not as bad as people hate on this forum. I actually like the "pink-Salmon" color lots of people are complaining about.
Its a HUGE break from the 'blatant grey/blue/green' nonsense we've been accustomed to. This building will stand out when finished, unlike several currently under construction that will all end up being just another forgotten GLASS BOXES in the city. We keep complaining about lack of colors, yet we dismiss someone's little effort to inject a variety.

I know there is worse, but it's just the abysmal overall design, colour and general form choice of this building that seems to put it off from other buildings in it's vicinity. Sure, one could argue something like.. King Charlotte is a tad worse of a highrise, but this project holds itself in a somewhat more key location of the city, and with the decently dramatic idea of this tower rising from two older, heritage-esque, it's a tad disappointing to see the spandrel and concrete used in the way it is.
*From the Gardiner, I meant to include that this tower also seems to be an eye catcher, with the thick band of grey-pink concrete in relation with any buildings seen near it at that perspective.

King Charlotte blows this out of the water.

Whiles not an architectural masterpiece, this building is not as bad as people hate on this forum. I actually like the "pink-Salmon" color lots of people are complaining about.
Its a HUGE break from the 'blatant grey/blue/green' nonsense we've been accustomed to. This building will stand out when finished, unlike several currently under construction that will all end up being just another forgotten GLASS BOXES in the city. We keep complaining about lack of colors, yet we dismiss someone's little effort to inject a variety.

Again, it's not the use of colour that's an issue. It's the bizarre combination of pink and brown, combined with the cheap materials. A pink stripe up a building would probably look pretty good if the rest of the building was quality glass or precast in white or some other contrasting colour.

From Sunday:
DSC_0090.jpg
DSC_0092.jpg

And Yesterday:
DSC_0146.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 686
  • DSC_0092.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 672