Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

I don't think it's as bad in person as some of those last photos. I've walked past it a few times since then. And though not remarkable. It did not look as dull grey. Looked a bit more on the dark grey side which isn't anything to rejoice over. But I feel like it's not as offensive from most pedestrian views.

How hard would it be to demolish a building like this in the future? Would it be possible while keeping the historical buildings intact?

I don't think it has to be demolished entirely. A simple recladding could still make a world of difference if done right.

It's really starting to build a presence at Yonge-Dundas.

Before, I hardly noticed it in the background. Now, it's all that I see walking south on Yonge.

"Elegant"

23489394291_368a6ec025_b.jpg

23203878799_3f3f006357_b.jpg

No.

I don't mind Pantages, although the original development by Safde looked much better with the curving facade reminiscent of the tower at the Vancouver central library. The final revised project and resulting tower was disappointing. As for HNR I see nothing remotely elegant here so far- the dark panelling looks very down market. At best it might help create the urban room experience the original designers of the square envisioned. at worst it will add to the junky, fallacious and underwhelming experience of this area.

I don't mind Pantages, although the original development by Safde looked much better with the curving facade reminiscent of the tower at the Vancouver central library.

A lot of UT members were not happy back in the day when they cut the fins from the top leaving the flat roof.

Yeah its nostalgic alright, but seeing whats going on Yonge its days are numbered
..away from that first building @ Dundas Square, everything south of there excluding the last bldg. @ Shuter Street is a mishmash of mostly nothing heritage worthy,
hopefully in time something half decent gets planned down that stretch

I disagree. The Pantages/Ed Mirvish Theatre is worth keeping in my humble opinion. Maybe it's not fancy to others and they want to tear it down asap, like the crowd that wanted the POW torn down, but it holds a special place in my heart. Maybe it too will become a condo with a podium for foreign investors. But it's nice to enjoy now and to see a show before its demo'd!

Back