Toronto Velocity at the Square | 122.52m | 40s | HNR | P + S / IBI

Wow, i actually really like that GIF idea ^^^ the billboards/flashy stuff will make it fit in better and will make the square look even cooler with billboards in all directions!

This is farther along than I thought.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5B 1V8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 111476 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Jan 24, 2012

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 40 sty condo with commercial on ground floor, 4 levels of below grade parking, and 336 dwelling units. 252 & 258 Victoria St and 21 Dundas Sq.

Last edited:
Has this been in sales even? I thought it was still simply a proposal?

Maybe these guys will pull off a ""Cinema Condos"", start building while sales go on....either way considering the location, these guys should have very little problem selling 336 dwelling units quickly.

Gee..I wonder if they already have the demolition permit to raze the smaller warehouse building.

Maybe these guys will pull off a ""Cinema Condos"", start building while sales go on....either way considering the location, these guys should have very little problem selling 336 dwelling units quickly.

Gee..I wonder if they already have the demolition permit to raze the smaller warehouse building.

I think they are moving pretty fast. There used to be a discount student bookstore on the lower level, and recently has been moved to the other side of Victoria.

I would say it is great news. A 40 story is appropriate for that area, particularly when the existing building has almost no value. I agree with you that selling would be easy.

What about the horrible parking lot on the other wise of the street, just opposite Mirvish Theatre. It needs something there!.

By the way, is there any story behind the "Senetor Restaurant" by the parking lot, that narrow long skinny house? Everytime I see it, it looks more out of place. http://g.co/maps/82kz9

What about the horrible parking lot on the other wise of the street, just opposite Mirvish Theatre. It needs something there!.

By the way, is there any story behind the "Senetor Restaurant" by the parking lot, that narrow long skinny house? Everytime I see it, it looks more out of place. http://g.co/maps/82kz9

There was rumour a while ago that something tall might be built there
And regarding the "Senator Restaurant"...just by looking at the location and empty lot next to it, id say it will probably bite the dust as part of the future development.

Has the design changed since?

dundas_square_3.jpg

From http://www.globizen.com/?p=660

Hi, I'm just wondering if there's a height restriction here (and hence the application at 40 storeys and not taller)? Thanks.

Is it just me, or does anyone else kinda think it's too bad that 258 Victoria needs to be demo'd for this fugly thing?

yeah I know the Heritage Committee wrote it off: "Staff consider the loss of the Hermant Annex a necessary compromise in order to secure the long-term preservation of the Hermant Buildings". But still.. :(

Is it just me, or does anyone else kinda think it's too bad that 258 Victoria needs to be demo'd for this fugly thing?

yeah I know the Heritage Committee wrote it off: "Staff consider the loss of the Hermant Annex a necessary compromise in order to secure the long-term preservation of the Hermant Buildings". But still.. :(

I'm with you. I'd like to see 258 Victoria retained. If a perfectly, handsome building needs to be torn down, then at least give us something spectacular to replace it. The current plan would be a step backwards to what is already there.

if you think harder, buildings like 258 Victoria are practically everywhere downtown. If you walk on queen east, or Richmond East, and lot of other places, there are dozens of them.
It is not well maintained (the first 2 stories look like sh*t) and it takes too important a location. It might have some historical value, but just not enough to stay.

Dundas Square and surrounding areas are bound to be modernized and densified. 30 or 40 stories will be normal eventually. I know some people like old buildings and always want to keep as many as possible, but just not at some areas which serve different functions. The city simply can't keep all old lowrise buildings in each corner.

I can totally imagine many similar old houses on Queen West, King West (south side), Yonge st (already happening), Dundas etc to be replaced too in the coming years. A city has to grow and there is simply not enough space for major downtown commercial streets to be dominated old 2 or 3 story houses, which are more suitable for smaller side streets.

We'll never get to that point, this building frenzy can't last too much longer in fact I'd be willing to bet that half of what hasn't broken ground yet will not get built this cycle. What's happening in Toronto is nearing a tipping point of just not being sustainable. What happens in Europe and the US in the next two or three years will play a big role too.

Back