Toronto Vü Condos | 83.51m | 24s | Aspen Ridge | Hariri Pontarini

Thanks for the pics Torontovibe.

Nice to see that glass is being installed.
I'm curious as to why they started on what seems like the 5th floor?
Is it to prevent any possible damage to the glass during construction with the lower floors?

^^^ since they're partially cladding the lower levels in brick, my guess would be that they have to get that in place before installing any glass

Projects like Vu have helped to remove most of the parking lots in the core and create a 'proper' street wall.

3247656414_32e4bcb7bf_o.jpg

Projects like Vu have helped to remove most of the parking lots in the core and create a 'proper' street wall.

Though I agree that fewer street parking lots in the city is a good development it should be noted that VU is NOT built on a former parking lot - the site used to be Goodwill. (OK, between demolition of Goodwill and the start of construction there WAS a parking lot on the site.) It would be great to see some of the long-term parking lots developed, there are still FAR too many in downtown Toronto.

... however it's also nice to see low density, low rise buildings in the core being replaced, especially when they're not particularly attractive, historic or interesting in any way. I can't remember the Goodwill building but I don't think it stood out in any way. Vu is definitely an improvement.

IIRC, Goodwill was a 1 storey building that encompassed the whole block from Jarvis/Adelaide/George st.

There was surface parking but it was minimal, maybe 20 spaces.

IIRC, Goodwill was a 1 storey building that encompassed the whole block from Jarvis/Adelaide/George st. There was surface parking but it was minimal, maybe 20 spaces.

There were actually three connected Goodwill buildings. A one (or two?) storey older building at Adelaide and George with bulk clothing and bulk shoes; a 4-5 storey newish building further up George to Richmond used as offices and a 2 or 3 storey 1970s building at the corner of Adelaide and Jarvis which housed the main Goodwill store. The parking lot was really for customers of the store only and was on Jarvis and there was a loading dock area off George. In my opinion none of these buildings were of any architectural or historic value and VU is CLEARLY a great improvement.

There were actually three connected Goodwill buildings. A one (or two?) storey older building at Adelaide and George with bulk clothing and bulk shoes; a 4-5 storey newish building further up George to Richmond used as offices and a 2 or 3 storey 1970s building at the corner of Adelaide and Jarvis which housed the main Goodwill store. The parking lot was really for customers of the store only and was on Jarvis and there was a loading dock area off George. In my opinion none of these buildings were of any architectural or historic value and VU is CLEARLY a great improvement.

The Adelaide + George building *could* have been judged of architectural merit, for its Deco proto-functionalism...

February 1 2009 update

Vu North Tower (from George St)
IMG_3291.jpg

Southwest View
IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

The only issue I have with this one is that the Adelaide side should have been set back from the street a bit more. I've seen a bunch of accidents at Adelaide and George over the years as cars race down Adelaide and can't see someone coming from George St.

The only issue I have with this one is that the Adelaide side should have been set back from the street a bit more. I've seen a bunch of accidents at Adelaide and George over the years as cars race down Adelaide and can't see someone coming from George St.

nice. Should have some decent street entertainment then when I'm bored.

Back