Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

The worst design element I've seen in the subway system is Wilson Station's fake plants. They look like fake Christmas tree branches. Most Spadina line stations were designed by independent Canadian architectural firms and have interesting design features. St. Clair West and Wilson were designed by the TTC's in-house architects. St. Clair West turned out to be a decent station; Wilson is quite ugly. The exterior looks like a utilitarian garage. I wouldn't mind seeing it demolished and rebuilt.
Does anyone see Glencairn station looking like a repurposed nuclear bunker?

Were there fake plants at St Clair West at one point? There are a couple empty planters in the station that I've always wondered about.

What is currently the accessible route from street level to the subway? Imagine you were giving directions to someone on Front St with a pram, heavy luggage or a mobility device.

They could take the sidewalk down either York or Bay to the moat, and then there's that long serpentine ramp just to the west of the stairs.

Thanks. I'd say York is out- that's near a km of mostly unsigned (as accessible) turns and a wiggle past McDonalds then double back for the labyrinthine ramps east of the stairs (which is signed).
Same challenge coming from the Great Hall. How to simplify "three lefts, two rights, stay slightly right and find the ramp at McDonalds then two lefts and a right to find the labyrinthine ramps." It's sad.

Thanks. I'd say York is out- that's near a km of mostly unsigned (as accessible) turns and a wiggle past McDonalds then double back for the labyrinthine ramps east of the stairs (which is signed).
Same challenge coming from the Great Hall. How to simplify "three lefts, two rights, stay slightly right and find the ramp at McDonalds then two lefts and a right to find the labyrinthine ramps." It's sad.

Accessible routes at Union really are convoluted and unintuitive. It can be so bad that I think they need to put stripes on the floor indicating the accessible route to certain destinations.

The thing I like about Line 1 is that even though each station has a relatively unique designs, there are clear demarcations in the architectural styling for each extension of the line. It should be obvious to observant riders that the Yonge subway (King - Eglinton), Yonge north (Eglinton - Finch), University (St. Andrew to Museum), Spadina (Spadina to Warden), Downsview and now Union were designed/built by different people at different times.

Since all of Line 2 was deigned and built at one time, we don't get the same effect on that line. Instead we're left with a rather drab and monolithic design. It also doesn't help that west of Victoria Park, Line 2 is almost 100% buried. This gives passengers who are travelling longer distances few opportunities to experience natural light, which doesn't help with the mood of the riders. Ever notice how passengers tend to perk up when crossing the Prince Edward Viaduct?

Thankfully the TTC has gone out of their way to avoid the mistakes of Line 2 with TYSSE, by ensuring stations have prominent natural light at platform level and unique station designs.

Downsview is my favorite station design so far. It was actually the very first station I walked into when I first moved to Toronto. So when I saw the other, older stations, it felt kind of depressing and regressive. :p

I love how open it is. Tons of space to walk around, at the bus level and the main concourse. And being able to see down into the subway level from the concourse is really nice too. It feels so much more modern and cohesive. Also, to newbies, very easy to navigate.

Downsview is my favorite station design so far. It was actually the very first station I walked into when I first moved to Toronto. So when I saw the other, older stations, it felt kind of depressing and regressive. :p

I love how open it is. Tons of space to walk around, at the bus level and the main concourse. And being able to see down into the subway level from the concourse is really nice too. It feels so much more modern and cohesive. Also, to newbies, very easy to navigate.

Downsview is the best station in the TTC.

Downsview is the best station in the TTC.

Tell us how you really feel about Downsview?
201524-penis-ttc-map.jpg

Attachments

• 201524-penis-ttc-map.jpg
    201524-penis-ttc-map.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 889

Back