Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Last edited:
This sketch best shows what they are doing for the typical passenger to understand.

urbantoronto-8839-34728.jpg

It shows an LRT connection on the south side. Is that for the Spadina and Harbourfront LRT or the future WWLRT?

Attachments

• urbantoronto-8839-34728.jpg
    urbantoronto-8839-34728.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 736
That's the existing loop for the Harbourfront LRT. The current plans see the expansion of said loop for the future lines.

AoD

I wonder where the public ever got the idea that St. Clair, Spadina, and Harbourfront were LRT - it must have been Ford.

I wonder where the public ever got the idea that St. Clair, Spadina, and Harbourfront were LRT - it must have been Ford.

'Harbourfront LRT' was wishful thinking on the part of the TTC circa 1990 - the idea that a separate ROW would mean faster service and a more modern image. They dropped that because people didn't know from the name what to expect that would be different from streetcar service.

As far as I know, they've never used 'LRT' for Spadina but they again misapplied it to the new St Clair ROW, hoping to demonstrate what LRT would be like by simulating it with a streetcar with no signal priority. LRT opponents have jumped on this to project dystopian scenarios of what LRT would be like elsewhere, based on the alleged 'St Clair disaster'. The TTC seem to have stopped using LRT to describe St Clair.

Interestingly, they've never used LRT to refer to the 501 west of Roncesvalles, even though the separated ROW and speeds achieved by streetcars are the closest thing to LRT service here.

Any updates on what time the first revenue service train will pull into the station and let off passengers on the new platform? I'd like to be on that train.

I'm not sure that using glass to separate the platforms is the best choice, because it will get dirty very quickly.

It's going to be glass art, not transparent glass.

AoD

The glass art should be better at hiding the dirt/brake dust for a while (as opposed to the transparent glass). Eventually it will have to be cleaned, in which case I'm proposing a subway car with a sprinkler and one long squeegee on the side.

The TTC has work cars that I'm assuming would be used to help clean things like this at night when the subway isn't running.

They already clean the station tiles periodically in any case - and I would trust their ability to clean tiles and glass more than structural concrete - I fear for new stations.

AoD

Back