Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Yes, but my point is that there should be a single joint site discussing the entire scope of work, rather than a reference to a City site that is so disorganized that it is difficult to understand what the work will be.

I guess the issue is that the entire scope of work is being done by three different parties, Toronto, GO, and the TTC, with their own tendering processes (not including fit out which will be done by tenants such as VIA and UPRL). They probably should have created a Toronto Union Station Corporation with ownership split amongst the stakeholders like Waterfront Toronto, but they haven't. The GO Union website, the city Union website, the TTC Union Station new platform website, VIA's Union Station website, and Union Pearson's eventual Union website are all paid for by different companies and agencies. I saw the tender go out for GO's train shed work but no tenders yet for the TTC portion nor the city portion.

there was an article in today's Sun that described the new train shed roof as being a glass box, suspended over the tracks on stilts like OCAD...there was a small rendering, but I cant find anything online....

I haven't been following this too closely....is this news?

It was news a year ago. You can see the renderings on GO's Union Station website.

Those pictures are so depressing. I can't help but think of all the development that could have happened if those train tracks were buried.

The glass section will be only located 5 bays on either side of centre line from platform 7 to 27. Original track 3 south

The south end along platform 25 will be rebuilt not as it is today.

The original south end will be rebuilt as original built.

Roof over platform 3-6 (original track 1 and 2) will be rebuilt as original built using original material from the other roof section been replace. It will have solar panel on top of it.

Rest of the roof will see new metal decking with a green roof on top of it.

Work will start on platform 24-20 or 2 tracks at one time. Once finish will move north to the next 2 tracks.

2 more elevators and stairs will be added per platform.

The original elevators will stay as well the stair covers.

Nothing will be built over the tracks at each end at this time.

thx guys, sometimes it is hard to keep up with all the stuff going on...:eek:

Those pictures are so depressing. I can't help but think of all the development that could have happened if those train tracks were buried.

It's not always a good thing. Look how grim the platforms are at Gare Centrale in Montreal; now compare that to the trainshed at St Pancras. I can tell you right off which one I'd choose.

It's not always a good thing. Look how grim the platforms are at Gare Centrale in Montreal; now compare that to the trainshed at St Pancras. I can tell you right off which one I'd choose.

Agreed. Gare Centrale has to be the worst train station I have ever been to. It was so dark and dingy, it made Union in Toronto seem like heaven.

It was news a year ago. You can see the renderings on GO's Union Station website.

Thx, this was the rendering in the Sun today....

UnionStationRendering_300x225.jpg

Agreed. Gare Centrale has to be the worst train station I have ever been to. It was so dark and dingy, it made Union in Toronto seem like heaven.

Ouf. Ok, here I have to disagree. Union Station has to be the most depressing train station of any big NA cities. No place to eat anything other than a bag of chips or a bad coffee... the place is dark and looks decrepit compare to Gare Centrale.

Ouf. Ok, here I have to disagree. Union Station has to be the most depressing train station of any big NA cities. No place to eat anything other than a bag of chips or a bad coffee... the place is dark and looks decrepit compare to Gare Centrale.

Well on the basis of passenger amenities I'll admit that Gare Centrale has Union beat. Trackside however, Centrale is dark, dank, and dingy

The glass section will be only located 5 bays on either side of centre line from platform 7 to 27. Original track 3 south

The south end along platform 25 will be rebuilt not as it is today.

The original south end will be rebuilt as original built.

Roof over platform 3-6 (original track 1 and 2) will be rebuilt as original built using original material from the other roof section been replace. It will have solar panel on top of it.

Not quite grokking your platform math, drum...

I reckon the names convert out like this:
Code:
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
__________________platform 3 (formerly platform 1)__________
+++++track 1++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++track 2++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 4 (formerly platform 2)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 5 (formerly platform 3A)_________
+++++track 3++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 6 (formerly platform 3B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 7 (formerly platform 4A)_________
+++++track 4++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 8 (formerly platform 4B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 9 (formerly platform 5A)_________
+++++track 5++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 10 (formerly platform 5B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 11 (formerly platform 6A)________
+++++track 6++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 12 (formerly platform 6B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 13 (formerly platform 7A)________
+++++track 7++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯platform 14 (formerly platform 7B)¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
__________________platform 15 (formerly platform 8A)________
+++++track 8++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Going purely by the rendering on page 3 of the GO News issue--and who knows about its accuracy or my eyeballing skills--the northern sliver of Bush shed that's running the whole length appears to cover tracks 1 and 2 and stops overtop platform 4/5. The bilevel car in the picture looks like it's on track 3, under the atrium.

Wouldn't that be 'formerly Tracks 1, 2, 3A, 3B'?

I've been wondering whether they will take the removed original Bush trainshed parts from the atrium area and use them to replace the later trainshed over the southernmost covered tracks... then it would all match. Is this what you mean, drum118?

And yes, Gare Centrale's retail amenities are far nicer than those at Union Station. I like the design of Gare Centrale's main hall too. But Union Station's platforms are much nicer than those at Gare Centrale... which is scary.

And yes, Gare Centrale's retail amenities are far nicer than those at Union Station. I like the design of Gare Centrale's main hall too. But Union Station's platforms are much nicer than those at Gare Centrale... which is scary.
Let's hope Union catches up with its new retail areas.

Then again, I'm fond of what squats upon Gare Centrale's platforms and makes them scary: Place Bonaventure...

Oh come on ... the space inside the Crystal is horrible. The building is interesting enough (though the finish seems mundane ... it was far more interesting from the outside when it was still structural steel!). But the usable space inside? The actual volume of space provided seems small compared to the building. And much of the new space is taken up by the exhibition hall in the basement (which works reasonably) and the new entrance hall (which while spacious, has some major problems ... the lack of a washroom for example ... last time I was there, I needed to change a baby before putting on winter clothes an hour before the store closed, but as they were shooing everyone out of the galleries; and they said what I needed to do was walk across the street and use the bathroom in the McDonald's across the street!). Not necessarily the architects fault, but typical of the design failings of the extension.

An interesting experiment, but as usuable gallery space, it seems a complete fail to me; and I'm sure that a dozen Toronto-based architects could have provided something better. In comparison the new entrance hall at the Louvre is a wonderful use of space, that closed quadrangle at the British Museum is magnificent, the new British Library is wonderful space, and the AGO extension is light-years ahead. Even the new opera hall at Queen/University is some great space inside ... though the outside is pretty dull.

Sacrificing usable space for fantastic visuals isn't necessary.

Liebskind's Crystal proposal actually provided the greatest increase in gallery space. It has the "wow" factor, but as far as space is concerned it was also the most practical.

Back