Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This is what the Bay Concourse looks like.

A Kodak opportunity occurred during my evening commute, thanks to a wall tear down in the Bay Teamway Plaform 7|8 access:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

(And an earlier one when the construction access was open to where I was standing on the sidewalk)
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,041
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 216
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 216
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    835.2 KB · Views: 1,024
@mdrejhon Nice pics! Things are coming along nicely.

Also, just to put the discussion about the sub-levels to rest. @Richard White is correct in the sense that there was a sub-level under the Bay head house. It was more a maze of steam tunnels than a full out slab. Anyways these tunnels housed fan rooms, mechanical equipment, steam pipes, etc. and for the most part did not extend under the tracks proper, only under the head house. There was one tunnel that used to run dead south down the middle under the tracks (visible on the *old* map below).

This sub level is/was contiguous with the sub level under the York and Front Promenades and is also at grade with the new excavations under the tracks. For a while there was a door leading from these tunnels into the excavated area at the point where the "southbound" tunnel used to intersect. Pics are attached.

Old sub-level under Bay head-house and York/Front promenades:
IMG_20150827_002002.jpg
IMG_20150827_001514.jpg
IMG_20150827_002107.jpg
IMG_20150827_002156.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150827_002002.jpg
    IMG_20150827_002002.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 1,204
  • IMG_20150827_001514.jpg
    IMG_20150827_001514.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_20150827_002107.jpg
    IMG_20150827_002107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_20150827_002156.jpg
    IMG_20150827_002156.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_20150827_002255 - IMG_20150827_002259.jpg
    IMG_20150827_002255 - IMG_20150827_002259.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 182
Also, in other news:

The City of Toronto has decided to install high-traffic door-delay-devices on the teamways. Essentially these are similar to handicap door openers except that they are controlled by photocells mounted on the doors; during peak times these devices "hold" or "delay" the door from closing for 5 seconds.

Keep your eyes open for these. They were installed on the north end doors of the York- -w-e-s-t- (correction: York East) teamway today and are scheduled to be installed in both of the teamways shortly.

Last edited:
Also, in other news:

The City of Toronto has decided to install high-traffic door-delay-devices on the teamways. Essentially these are similar to handicap door openers except that they are controlled by photocells mounted on the doors; during peak times these devices "hold" or "delay" the door from closing for 5 seconds.

Keep your eyes open for these. They were installed on the north end doors of the York-west teamway today and are scheduled to be installed in both of the teamways shortly.

About time - good to see action on that front.

AoD

Also, in other news:

Keep your eyes open for these. They were installed on the north end doors of the York-west teamway today and are scheduled to be installed in both of the teamways shortly.

Ah. I saw someone working on those doors on the north end of the York teamway yesterday. I noted the panel above the doorway he had open appeared to have a lot of computer equipment inside for what I thought was a simple door. This is a great change.

Also, in other news:

I've noticed that some of the doors in Union have that already! Several of the doors within the York East Teamway leading to/from the York Concourse have them--assisted (reduced physical effort) opening, and ~5-second hold. Seems triggered more by someone actually pushing/pulling the door open than photocells, but these might be different.

I absolutely love it. I understand the need for full powered doors for the mobility-impaired, but these are EXCELLENT for high-volume passages...they've had them in the PATH directly outside the east of Union TTC leading to Brookfield Place for a while now and I think they're hugely beneficial during the rush.

@Megaton327 Perhaps we are speaking of the same devices in the teamway, I was mistaken earlier when I said York-west, I am actually referring to York-east teamway. Next time you pass through take a look, there are "photo-eyes" mounted on both the inside and outside of the doors (little black boxes with coloured LED). I believe these are what is controlling the delay... however I could be mistaken. Perhaps the circuit is based on the mechanical action of the door opening, and the photocell is just for safety? I am not sure exactly.

@Megaton327 Perhaps we are speaking of the same devices in the teamway, I was mistaken earlier when I said York-west, I am actually referring to York-east teamway. Next time you pass through take a look, there are "photo-eyes" mounted on both the inside and outside of the doors (little black boxes with coloured LED). I believe these are what is controlling the delay... however I could be mistaken. Perhaps the circuit is based on the mechanical action of the door opening, and the photocell is just for safety? I am not sure exactly.

These were within the teamway leading into the concourse, you mentioned them on the north-end doors of the teamway itself--pretty sure I hadn't seen them there before. And it's very likely that those would be higher-capacity since there's much more passenger flow through them than individual concourse/platform doors once people actually get in.

As for the photocell, the ones in the Brookfield PATH tunnel seem, as best as I can tell, maybe prime the motor for opening effort assistance when they detect someone approach, as I believe when you walk up to them while closed a light comes on or off on the bar at the top. Then I think there's a standard 5-second hold-open phase, but I believe that it waits until it detects nobody approaching to close, or maybe at least extends the 5-second hold to 15 or 20 seconds before requiring somebody nudge it back open.

Anyways, we'll see for sure soon! Lot of different configurations of semi-powered doors on the market.

They appear to be working.

IMG_20160322_170724.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160322_170724.jpg
    IMG_20160322_170724.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,040
Last edited by a moderator:
Also, in other news:

Keep your eyes open for these. They were installed on the north end doors of the York- -w-e-s-t- (correction: York East) teamway today and are scheduled to be installed in both of the teamways shortly.
Excellent. This is much needed. During continuous pedestrian traffic, the door'll no longer be an encumbrance for the occasional time when I have only 30 seconds left to catch an express train to make an engagement near home.

Or if there's a security incident (...see Europe...) and people scramble through the bottlenecks (like the doors, or between ticket machines & plywood shed around stairway 6/7 entrance)

Now that said, why only one TV timetable screen at the entrance of the Bay Teamway? FAIL.

In times of displaying information messages instead of a timetable on the front screen = FAIL. I now have to go all the way to the middle of the teamway, then double-back to Platform 4/5 trying to fight my way through pedestrians around the platform 6+7 block-off enclosure.

They need two TV screens there -- one for GO schedules and one for information messages. They already pair-up the screens in the new York concourse, they should do the same for the screen at the entrance to the Bay Teamway.

That way, when one is displaying an information message, the other TV is still available for displaying timetables, so I don't have to become an obstruction to pedestrians going to the middle of the teamway to check timetables.

The combination of (A) lack of two timetable TV screens at entrance to Bay teamway and (B) the closure plywood shed; and (C) me squeezing my way to the middle of the teamway to see the nearest GO timetable -- has made peak period worse again.

(Credit where credit due: Earlier, lots of additional Presto machines were installed in the Teamway, and that helped immensely. But now crowds are getting "dicey" again thanks to the bottleneck between the ticket vending machines and stairway 6/7 closure)

If GO is going to build more closure sheds in the Bay Teamway for the next 12 months, they really need to put a 2nd TV at the entrance to the Bay Teamway! This is also a safety issue.

There seems to be an increased number of people bottlenecking to the center of the teamway because of the "notice" displayed instead of "timetable" at the only TV at the entrance to the Bay teamway. What if there is a security incident like over the pond?

The automatic doors will be a big help (good move!) but reducing the amount of unnecessary back-and-fourth walking through the peak-period Bay Teamway sardines would be a big step too.

Aside: We should have a crowd-crush "Sardine Award" contest between, Bloor+Yonge TTC, Union TTC, and Union Bay Teamway. The teamway is now pulling up in the sardine rankings again now with the double whammy of the loss of a timetable + a shed appearance (ironically forcing people to go past the shed bottleneck to see a timetable screen).

cc: @femwriter @GOgrodzinski301

Last edited:
As for the photocell, the ones in the Brookfield PATH tunnel seem, as best as I can tell, maybe prime the motor for opening effort assistance when they detect someone approach, as I believe when you walk up to them while closed a light comes on or off on the bar at the top. Then I think there's a standard 5-second hold-open phase, but I believe that it waits until it detects nobody approaching to close, or maybe at least extends the 5-second hold to 15 or 20 seconds before requiring somebody nudge it back open.
And many hold-open systems can be programmable to be disabled during an alarm -- to stay compliant with a fire code. I'm not sure if it's configured this way at Union to revert to complete manual operation during a fire alarm, or simply modify variables (e.g. don't continuously hold open as long, disable motion sensors, run in only touch-activated/assisted-open mode).

Also, one possible pro and con of hold-open is if there are doors open, lazy people begin walking towards them, avoiding the closed doors! This may create a peak-period bottleneck if opening effort is intense. On the other hand, this is good during the winter. If the opening effort is extremely light, this is not a problem since when there's any scant slowdown in pedestrian flow, people will approach the unused doors if it speeds up their walk.

So when there's lots of pedestrian traffic, regular commuters will bother to open unused doors, if the door-opening effort is already known to be light. So extra open doors appear and appear, and all doors continuously stay open (continually triggered by sensor) right on the dime of the peak period crush.

Many older doors on TTC require amazingly strongman effort to open just one door. We need to avoid this situation, or everyone is just going to walk through the only open doors once the hold-open activates, even during peak period.

Ideal door opening effort is motor assisted, yet not-speed-governed, still allowing rushed commuters to yank-swing open as usual. You don't want a situation where you try to yank open the door but the motor insists opening the door at its own speed (like many automatic wheelchair door opening systems).

The best systems for motor-assisted door opener is fully programmable (adjustable door-opening resistance, like adjustable-resistance power steering in cars) -- while not self-speed-limiting (letting people swing open faster, just like a regular door). These good systems also can increase closing-assist power during windy days when the door is unable to close by itself.

But the best motor-assisted keep-open systems are great; you just yank at door and it opens lovely and easy just like a reasonably lightweight wooden door (despite being a heavy metal-glass door), without its manual-open swing speed being too severely limited (like when a wheelchair automatic door is currently motoring itself open).

There were also flawed systems deployed elsewhere in the world. For example, you pull, and the door insists on opening slowly. You don't want to create undue new bottlenecks because of a cheap, flawed hold-open system with high-door-opening resistance and/or speed-limited door-opening that you can't yank faster.

Hopefully the opening-effort is fairly light (e.g. motor power-assisted) so that it will quickly cascade to an all-open scenario during a peak-period crush. People avoid high-resistance heavy doors intentionally, preferring to crush through fewer open doors.

That said, door-opening effort needs to be a sweet spot (not supermarket automatic, just lighter opening effort, enough to avoid "press the wheelchair button" laziness) so some doors stay closed during winter, in moderate pedestrian traffic situations, to keep the teamway warm. Door opening resistance adjusted to balancing intentional encouragement of laziness (during lower pedestrian traffic, avoid unnecessary extra numbers of open doors in winter) and encouraging of all doors open (for peak period crush).

Last edited:
F Y & I:
-perhaps more insight into why Osmington upped its preferred ratio of food...
http://experience.usatoday.com/food...train-station-food-around-the-world/81964978/

BTW: A previous tenant in the building, who ran a popular fast food outlet some time ago (and had taken other retail space over the years) commented to me that Union traffic would/could not support any sort of high-end products. People just did not buy anything expensive, he believed. We were not talking about food at the time, but instead items that might interest train riders, either long-distance or commuter. You'll recall few, if any, pricey souvenirs in the station. The convenience stores were pretty low-end, including the one in the VIA concourse up 'til what, two years ago. It had post cards and some generic toys, with some VIA-specific products for a while. I'd have thought some of the cooler train stuff would sell, but that did not seem to be the case back then.

Back