Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

How soon can we get the York-side moat covered?

That side doesn't need to wait for Bay. I'd like an alternate indoor winter walk from TTC without waiting for Bay to finish.

We should build a real moat (filled with alligators) and have drawbridges too. Alternatively, people could be catapulted over Union Station, right to the tracks.
Hear, hear!

Faster way to commute.

What's the fare for the TTC/Metrolinx public transit catapult?

May I see the EA and safety statistics for all available commercial public transit catapults, and the schematics for their planned locations?

If possible, locate one of the planned public transit catapults a little further north on Wellington on Bay Street. At the intersection between the TD and RBC buildings, so I can leap over the crowds rushing to Union at 5pm. The catapult line of sight should be adjusted to allow me to land at the very eastmost edge of Platform 25 ;)

/s

Last edited:
We should build a real moat (filled with alligators) and have drawbridges too. Alternatively, people could be catapulted over Union Station, right to the tracks.

They did have some suggestions, back when the station flooded.

7320887482_f56c011ab2.jpg

7320887660_24638db7b9.jpg

October 6th, 2015
Changes have taken place near the temporary connection to the TTC (dubbed the "narrow stairs"). The western-most of the three stairs has been devoted to a new;y constructed ramp. This ramp then crosses the entire moat at elevated grade heading north before coming down to level alongside the north wall. This blocks any opening of the Front St tunnel/moat to the York side in the near future.

I am seriously starting to wonder if given the quick progress on demolition being made by Bondfield that the powers-that-be (i.e. project managers/planners) are seriously considering closing the Bay hoarding route and forcing everyone through the "narrow stairs" route. THIS IS A BAD IDEA! The addition of the ramp indicates that at the very least the Bay hoarding ramp will be removed soon (as an accessible route MUST be maintained between the TTC/Union).

PS. Asked some TTC contractors constructing hoarding on TTC stairs. They did not know exactly what it was for. If I had to hazard a guess I would say that it is a continuation of the new Bondfield "sub" moat being constructed. It looks like during Bay demolition pedestrians will be given use of the moats perimeter, whilst construction occurs on the inside. Remember those stairs at the TTC/Union transfer are temporary. Union will be dropping in grade to match the TTC concourse level.

Pictures of the new ramps are included below. Sorry for the lack of updates/grammar/syntax/formatting/etc. I have been super busy as of late.

IMG_20151006_105931.jpg
IMG_20151006_105941 - IMG_20151006_105946.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151006_105931.jpg
    IMG_20151006_105931.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 1,475
  • IMG_20151006_105941 - IMG_20151006_105946.jpg
    IMG_20151006_105941 - IMG_20151006_105946.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,504
I do wonder what purpose the wing walls at the existing temp stairs to TTC serve in relation to construction staging/planning. I am talking about specifically the areas in the temp stairs at the west and east sides that were built w/out stairs but retaining wall instead. Specifically they built three sets of stairs instead of one. They specifically built these stairs knowing they would be demo'ing this area. Thoughts?

EDIT: My prediction is we lose the big centre stair in two stages until underpin complete/grade is level. Then once main connection back into TTC established via new Bay concourse, moat will be completed. Ie. The wing walls will be removed and the final staircases installed in the east/west locations. (I do hope they can do this work with a glass canopy overhead... I remain optimistic that the glazing is coming soon as the flashing has been changed near the moat doors to the TTC and around the upper moat perimeter. Yet I am not sure on the structural details of this canopy frame, nor has any progress been made on flashing or anchor points on the Union side.)

tnarduzzi wrote on October 6th, 2015:
'...closing the Bay hoarding route and forcing everyone through the "narrow stairs" route.'

So it looks like all *indoor/under cover* traffic between the subway and rail stations will have this one corridor, punctuated (;-) by the now-ramped single doorway plus a double set of doors just adjacent.
Otherwise, it's up the stairs to Front St. or an alternate route via the east side of the Bay Concourse.

The ramp reduces a long (and exposed, and poorly signed in parts) walk-around -- or wheel-around -- via the Bay Concourse.

Too bad this temporary ramp wasn't available long ago (and unclear why not -- presumably construction access to the moat...?) and too bad the permanent accessible route just inside TTC constitutes four or five tight switchbacks. A lift to Street level would have been great. The nearest is somewhere inside RB Plaza.

But much improved.

A lift to Street level would have been great.

My understanding is once Union is renovated there will be many elevators.

For example, the York concourse opening added a new elevator from concourse to street level (inside the Harvey's space). I know this is not much more convenient in your specific argument but rather just an example of things to come. Union itself is a tricky place with many grade changes, give it time to pan out.

Perhaps this belongs in one of the cycling threads but, I see they're building what appears to be a more robust indoor bicycle storage area on the north west side of the building where the new doors are going in the York moat, before the teamway.

As CoT already operates the storage area on the other end of the teamway I wonder if the old one will close and, if so, what will the space be used for? Street level retail? Starbucks ?

Perhaps this belongs in one of the cycling threads but, I see they're building what appears to be a more robust indoor bicycle storage area on the north west side of the building where the new doors are going in the York moat, before the teamway.

As CoT already operates the storage area on the other end of the teamway I wonder if the old one will close and, if so, what will the space be used for? Street level retail? Starbucks ?

This will not happen at Union:

P1100983-1.jpg

bikes-1.jpg

delft-bikes.jpg

For now. One can always hope.

Back