IMG_20140908_161311156.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,328
  • IMG_20140908_161320474.jpg
    IMG_20140908_161320474.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,275
  • IMG_20140908_161347405.jpg
    IMG_20140908_161347405.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,301
This is not even a rendering of a proposed scheme - note the fine print - it's from the USMP dating to the early/mid-2000s.

AoD

I see. Hopefully we'll get something comparable. This is one development where I expect them to go beyond just meeting functionality and build something beautiful. What we got on that 2nd Union Station platform shattered my optimism. Maybe this will end in disappointment as well.

Last edited:
I see. Hopefully we'll get something comparable. This is one development where I expect them to go beyond just meeting functionality and build something beautiful. What we got on that 2nd Union Station platform shattered my optimism. Maybe this will end in disappointment as well.

What didn't you like about the second platform?

There was a discussion a few pages back about the lack of the promised (at least rendered!) granite sidewalks. Today they have started laying GRANITE SIDEWALKS in the area immediately in front of the main Union Station building. It appears there will be concrete block sidewalks in front of the two wings and granite in the centre where there was already granite laid during Phase 1.

They have also started to remove the old sidewalk on the NORTH side of Front at the Royal York and traffic has again been moved around - now it is one way east-bound between York and Bay and the whole road is blocked between Bay and Yonge. It is starting to take shape.

I agree. Dead trees would look good for Halloween at least!

Sadly true. Toronto is incapable of creating environments that allow street trees to survive and thrive. We should just accept the fact that we're incapable of doing this basic thing that other cities manage as a matter of course, and simply try to get the paving right. Maybe even widen the odd sidewalk a tad, if we want to be really daring.

I'm disappointed that there will be no trees down the center median. I think it's going to look rather barren.

I think the reason they wanted to keep trees off the median was to preserve the historic view of Union station looking down Front, to make the plaza feel more open (like a front door to the city), and to save money.

The trees will be on the north side of Front. I thought it's ok without the trees in this case - it magnifies the metropolitan scale and formality of the plaza.

AoD

from the City:

September 18, 2014

York Street reopens to traffic north of Front Street

Two lanes of York Street, from Front Street north to Piper Street, will reopen to traffic tonight after being closed for more than one year for construction work to extend the PATH pedestrian tunnel network north from Union Station.

Additionally, Wellington Street from University Avenue to York Street, which had been changed to provide an eastbound lane of traffic, will be reinstated to one-way, westbound traffic.

The work carried out in coordination with the Union Station Revitalization Project will improve pedestrian access to and from Union Station.

This construction project is part of the City's comprehensive and coordinated strategy to rehabilitate and upgrade our roads, transit and underground infrastructure for current and future needs.

Back