Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Regarding the discussion of what's offered and the operating hours of retal at Union, I thought the high level concept of the retail offerings was to service the passengers going through the station as well as the population in the immediate surroundings of Union. Overall I thought the daily riders of various transportation services were secondary to serve, and the main concept was to become more of a destination retail area serving the greater downtown populace.

I know I took the photos! I heard someone mention it on Twitter but didn’t think that was actually going to happen, then I immediately saw it when I got off
ok ... your post sounded like you wondered what was going on :) In the other thread, the explanation was there.

Freshly Squeezed/Cheesecake Factory opened:
IMG_7035.jpeg

Hey folks, is there anywhere I can find what the final concourse + track layout is after the removal and streamlining of the existing tracks are completed? I've been scouring Metrolinx and Toronto.ca websites but unable to find anything concrete.

This is the only reference that I found for the new track layout in the urbantoronto front page story.

Current:
1725499507641.png

After:
1725499478763.png

Sorry if the information is embedded in the thread itself, but I haven't been able to find it with ease.

Hey folks, is there anywhere I can find what the final concourse + track layout is after the removal and streamlining of the existing tracks are completed? I've been scouring Metrolinx and Toronto.ca websites but unable to find anything concrete.

This is the only reference that I found for the new track layout in the urbantoronto front page story.

Current:
View attachment 593940

After:
View attachment 593939

Sorry if the information is embedded in the thread itself, but I haven't been able to find it with ease.
Yea that after image im 99% sure is accurate only for the southern concourse
Check this. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...on-m-s-city-of-toronto-norr.4308/post-2077460

Note that any other tracks have yet to have their designs finalized by Onexpress/Go expansion

Yea that after image im 99% sure is accurate only for the southern concourse
Check this. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...on-m-s-city-of-toronto-norr.4308/post-2077460

Note that any other tracks have yet to have their designs finalized by Onexpress/Go expansion

Understood, thank you for the detailed response! Kinda silly that we've been going on this rebuild for more than a decade and we haven't fully decided on the design for something as critical as track layout, but then maybe it's good to also wait for all the GO expansion schedules etc to finalize before fixing on a track layout. It'd be a super-duper huge hassle to change anything after the full rebuild is completed in this round.

Understood, thank you for the detailed response! Kinda silly that we've been going on this rebuild for more than a decade and we haven't fully decided on the design for something as critical as track layout, but then maybe it's good to also wait for all the GO expansion schedules etc to finalize before fixing on a track layout. It'd be a super-duper huge hassle to change anything after the full rebuild is completed in this round.
I think platform layout depends a lot on final service patterns, which Metrolinx has waited to determine based on design and feedback from the contractor.

We should be approaching the end of the 2-year development period with ONExpress, so it means they likely have a better idea of service patterns and therefor track layouts now, but it has yet to be released publicly.

Current:
View attachment 593940

After:
View attachment 593939

Oh I made that, I got that platform layout off of a blueprint I found on the city of Toronto website that is no longer accurate anymore and hasn’t been for a little while now, definitely don’t take that layout seriously.

Oh I made that, I got that platform layout off of a blueprint I found on the city of Toronto website that is no longer accurate anymore and hasn’t been for a little while now, definitely don’t take that layout seriously.
Its inaccurate? since when? the post I linked to was off the same doc.

I fully thought it was a legit government design document for the Union Station track layout! Really good job with it! Thanks for the clarification.

I fully thought it was a legit government design document for the Union Station track layout! Really good job with it! Thanks for the clarification.
Thanks! I made that just over a year ago. It was stupid of me to not include some sort of clarification that it’s not from the government, I have started doing that now with more recent stuff.

My guess at the Union Station Rail Corridor redevelopment status:
  • Everyone has signed off on a target Trains Service Plan (TSP) - Metrolinx management, the Metrolinx Board, the Provincial Government, OnXpress management
  • A track layout similar to WillyBru21's posted maps has been agreed upon as capable of supporting the TSP
  • Metrolinx has signed the contract with OnXpress Operations and Maintenance co based on:
    • A comparable station layout being delivered
    • A staged migration to the TSP, over a number of years, as the USRC is redeveloped by the OnXpress Development team
    • Taking over operations and maintenance of GO Trains on 1-Jan-2025
  • The OnXpress development team has been doing site investigation (e.g. drilling cores through the slab below the tracks) to support preliminary design of the future station, and preparation of the Development Agreement, which has yet to be signed.
  • The final layout of Union Station will be dictated by the TSP and the site investigations, it will be included in the Development Agreement, and will include:
    • A slightly smaller number of, wider, platforms
    • Some bay tracks for trains that terminate at Union (e.g. 13W)
    • Some through tracks with cross-overs at mid-point to allow a train to stop at each end of the platform but have operational flexibility to depart by crossing to the other track if it's clear
  • Agreeing the final layout is a key decision that will allow the Metrolinx-OnXpress Development Agreement to be finalized and signed off.

Back