Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

aside from the $1 transit announcement today. i think you can catch a glimpse of work on the USEP in the background of this image. believe those are tracks 24-27 that have been riped up already.
anyone know exactly where this is? i was thinking some kind of platform at the simcoe street overpass?
It looks like he's just above the crash wall along the south side of USRC. There's a few low flat rooftop spaces near the back of the Delta Hotel. I expect the hotel has exclusive use of one of them and that some arrangement was made for this announcement. I can't see the brown fencing behind him on any of the satellite photos to get an exact location. If someone was motivated enough I assume it can be seen from the Skywalk as it crosses the corridor just west of the hotel.

Looks to be on the patio at the MTCC. I think that is the fencing there.

Apple Maps look around:
Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 5.09.54 PM.png

Let me bring that forward for everyone:

1652216793062.png

In order:

Several years late
Would have been cheaper when it should have been done
There is no waterproofing under the plaza currently?
I'd have to see what accessibility issue is material to costs or delays here, it should be nothing more than layout.....sigh.
What does the TTC require other than space for a bus to stop?

In summation: Too many excuses, insufficient ambition.

Last edited:
What is interesting in this is not the update on bollards taking a long time, I mean the concrete barriers became a work item only in 2018 so not actually having work started on a permanent solution until 2023 seems right on "Toronto city time" (i.e. 5 years from knowing you need to do it, to actually doing it is actually pretty good for Toronto compared to other projects... like Eglinton Connects or Waterfront Transit that isn't properly funded yet). The more surprising thing is that the Union Station Revitalization which has been a project for something like 12 years didn't yet include the concept of a moat that doesn't have leaks. It is an impressive level of mismanagement or poor attention to detailed scope of what must be done that the moat being sealed from leaks has not been included in the work done to date. This is after ripping up the road completely for a new subway station platform, rebuilding the plaza, new sewers, new PATH, and installing the moat skylight!

What is interesting in this is not the update on bollards taking a long time, I mean the concrete barriers became a work item only in 2018 so not actually having work started on a permanent solution until 2023 seems right on "Toronto city time" (i.e. 5 years from knowing you need to do it, to actually doing it is actually pretty good for Toronto compared to other projects... like Eglinton Connects or Waterfront Transit that isn't properly funded yet). The more surprising thing is that the Union Station Revitalization which has been a project for something like 12 years didn't yet include the concept of a moat that doesn't have leaks. It is an impressive level of mismanagement or poor attention to detailed scope of what must be done that the moat being sealed from leaks has not been included in the work done to date. This is after ripping up the road completely for a new subway station platform, rebuilding the plaza, new sewers, new PATH, and installing the moat skylight!
Indeed! The whole of the area they are supposedly going to waterproof was fully exposed when they laid the new sewer (and/or watermain) before Front was paved with pavers - prior to Pan Am Games. It really is very sloppy that they did not do it properly then and certainly very poot that to fix it and put in bollards (how imaginative!) will take yet another year (until work (may!) start.) We saw during covid that the City CAN do better, Transportation is clearly not in the same League! (The fiasco of Wellington being another example ...)

I’d like to know what kind of “design” and “accessibility” updates there are with bollards. The ones at first Canadian place look fine, they got some at the new CIBC Square/USBT. Built years apart and I don’t see many design or accessibility updates to speak of. Sounds like the TTC may be paranoid like they were with the Presto privacy issues. Only Toronto can make metal rods sound like we’re building a modern pyramid

I’d like to know what kind of “design” and “accessibility” updates there are with bollards. The ones at first Canadian place look fine, they got some at the new CIBC Square/USBT. Built years apart and I don’t see many design or accessibility updates to speak of. Sounds like the TTC may be paranoid like they were with the Presto privacy issues. Only Toronto can make metal rods sound like we’re building a modern pyramid
If the TTC are worried that the bollards will be buried so deeply that they will stick through the station roof the answer is simple. Use something else! The aim is to stop vehicles getting too close to the building (bomb laden cars) and/or protecting pedestrians from psychotic drivers. This could be done with MANY things and there are examples all over the world; bollards (retractable or static), large benches, large planters, and, the TO solution, jersey barriers and/or concrete blocks. It is inexcusable to have concrete jersey barriers (standard issue) in a prime City location for 4 year and be planning a 5th.

If the TTC are worried that the bollards will be buried so deeply that they will stick through the station roof the answer is simple. Use something else!
My cynical take is that this is Toronto municipal culture: don’t try to solve the problem, because that would involve taking risks, and spending money. Instead, point to existing rules (as if they’re insurmountable), hypothetical problems and spending constraints - all as an excuse, and hope people stop talking about it.

EDIT: I just want to say that I don’t think this is a government/public sector problem. I’ve seen this in the private sector too, and happens when departments are under severe resource pressure, there’s institutional aversion to failure, and staff aren’t covered if something goes sideways. In that environment everyone goes full CYA mode.

If the TTC are worried that the bollards will be buried so deeply that they will stick through the station roof the answer is simple. Use something else! The aim is to stop vehicles getting too close to the building (bomb laden cars) and/or protecting pedestrians from psychotic drivers. This could be done with MANY things and there are examples all over the world; bollards (retractable or static), large benches, large planters, and, the TO solution, jersey barriers and/or concrete blocks. It is inexcusable to have concrete jersey barriers (standard issue) in a prime City location for 4 year and be planning a 5th.

Off the shelf solution, customizable appearance.

1652271460576.png

1652271499613.png

Turn them over to the local BIA for a four season planting display.

Back