Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The New York metropolitan area has a LOT of suburban areas outside city limits such as Westchester County north of New York, Nassau/Suffolk Counties on Long Island, parts of Connecticut (especially Stanford), and large sections of northern NJ and there are many jobs in these areas. Plus there are many jobs within the outer boroughs of NYC (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island). An example of a "business park" in the suburbs of New York is IBM world headquarters in Armonk, NY (a distant suburb north of NYC in Westchester County).

I would have to look carefully at the US census data that I linked to in order to figure out how many jobs are where (they are listed by county), but I think that the proportion of jobs in Manhattan/outer boroughs/elsewhere in metropolitan area is pretty similar to the proportion of jobs in downtown Toronto/416 suburbs/905. Also it is pretty clear from the census data that most of the residents of these outer suburbs work locally, and only a small minority commute to NYC, which is similar to the pattern in the GTA. Not surprisingly, transit mode share in greater New York is pretty low, even though it is very heavily used within NYC proper, because the transit systems in many of the suburbs of NYC are much, much worse than those in the 905.

I'd be really curious to see the numbers - I remember when I looked at the amount of office space in Chicago's core compared to the rest of greater area there was a larger % located in the core then Toronto, but not by as much as I thought. I'll try to find the numbers again.

This is what I like to see!

UNION.jpg

It's wonderful that we have all these overlapping massive projects, that we can't keep track of what is what!

Has anyone put together a total cost of all this Union Station work? The 3 contracts together must be over $750-million ... pushing $1-billion.

It's wonderful that we have all these overlapping massive projects, that we can't keep track of what is what!

Has anyone put together a total cost of all this Union Station work? The 3 contracts together must be over $750-million ... pushing $1-billion.

Possible. The initial pledge was $640m for just Union Railway Station . We'll have to see how it comes down if any complication arises.

Last edited:
No, the work in the moat is also the subway station work. They wont get to digging under the north part of the GO Bay Concourse until the York Concourse opens up.

stationxsectionc.jpg

From a digging perspective, I guess that makes sense. It was my understanding that the moat rework, skylight, etc are by the City. Checking out the City's website, I can see why this is all so confusing. The City website has renderings of GO's project and their own, making it seem as one.

Last edited:

Costs stated on the web -> 640 + 196 +161 + Path?? = 1B+

Definitely, and I think it's good that multiple different projects can happen simultaneously, under the umbrella of "Union Station Improvements". I bet you 8/10 people passing through the station don't even know they're being administered by 2 separate levels of government.

And the best part is, a lot of the different elements of these projects are going to finish around the same time, so it's going to be like one massive rollback of the curtain, to reveal something that I think is going to amaze a lot of people.

Back