Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

What are the plans for the shanty town that covers the tracks? Any drawings of what it will look like? Have they begun the process of tearing it down? Picture taken from my condo:

IMG_9692.jpg

More info on the train shed project here: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...ement-amp-Track-Upgrades-(Zeidler-Partnership)

The train shed project is GO Transit's while the Union Station Revitalization is the City of Toronto's. Different builders, architects, etc.

This is regarding Queen Quay, maybe there's a better thread.

From Steve Munro
Queen’s Quay Streetcar Track Reconstruction

The staff report recommending that the TTC proceed with rebuilding tracks on Queen’s Quay independently of any plans for the street’s reconfiguration is back on the July agenda. I understand that Waterfront Toronto has sorted out its budgeting problems and the full Queen’s Quay project should proceed this fall, but nothing official has come out yet to confirm this.
http://stevemunro.ca/?p=5376

interesting ...

More from waterfront Toronto (from a poster, can be seen in the above link):
“The 90% Detailed Designs were presented to the Design Review Panel on June 8, 2011 and the project received unanimous approval. The design team is planning to finalize the Detailed Design package and submit it to the City in July. Assuming the Contribution Agreement is signed in the near future, our design schedule will keep pace with the TTC schedule to rebuild the Queens Quay Light Rail Transit.”

I did search! really I did :p

'queens quay' didn't do the trick.

Thanks !

For some reason the Commuters Lounge Bar's last day was June 30th. Looking at the plans for Union Station on the arrivals level in that location I don't see any difference in the before and after floor plan. I realize that they are going to restore the whole building but I am a bit surprised that everything in that location needs to close. I wonder if walkways will be maintained through the area considering everything is now closed.

:mad:
For some reason the Commuters Lounge Bar's last day was June 30th. Looking at the plans for Union Station on the arrivals level in that location I don't see any difference in the before and after floor plan. I realize that they are going to restore the whole building but I am a bit surprised that everything in that location needs to close. I wonder if walkways will be maintained through the area considering everything is now closed.

Not the Lounge! :mad:

As I guess, I would think most of the utilities in this area are going to be discconnected or at best intermittent during the construction, so they would not be able to operate.

One thing I noticed today: the walkway from the GO Concourse to the ACC is "straight" again, after a year or more of being diverted eastward...

One thing I noticed today: the walkway from the GO Concourse to the ACC is "straight" again, after a year or more of being diverted eastward...

Don't suppose you took a picture? I can't remember this diversion you mention...

He is referring to the corridor which contained Ford vehicles on display, shown in the map below running diagonally above the platform 26-27 access point north of the ACC.

Union-optimized.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's back to the way it was. It was really annoying and maze-like during the construction, and some parts of the floor had holes covered with plywood.

Imagine a bare concrete floor and drywall walls in a corridor going diagonally. Now imagine the same corridor going straight. :)

I think in my memory it was straight. I don't use Union train station often, really. Is it just back to the way it was then?

I think in my memory it was straight. I don't use Union train station often, really. Is it just back to the way it was then?
Sounds like it ... it was only changed for ... what ... the last 9 months or so?

Though given the amount of construction going on, I'd expect everything changing very frequently for the next 4-5 year or so.

Back