Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

As a self confessed UT worrywart, I have to say - that moat skylight is going to be fantastic.

But.....a Union Station that doesn't smell like Cinnabon?

- Paul

But you are going to have "nekkid beauty bar". Surely that's sufficient to make up for the lack of olfactory stimulation from said buns?

AoD

But.....a Union Station that doesn't smell like Cinnabon?

- Paul
If Cinnabon won’t come back, maybe Cinnaholic, TJ Cinnamon’s or the other cinnamon bun bakery with the pitchfork logo (forgot which).

Any, any. Miss my freshly baked cinnamon buns.

Last edited:
I would have thought the answer to that was obvious.

The vast majority (by a huge margin) of users of the station are commuters who know their train schedules and arrive just in time to board their trains. No a lot of “linger here” time built in.

So the cost of building a licensed establishment is not worth it. There was one bar pre renos and there might be one or two post.....but that is it.

Airport travel, on the other hand, has a lot of waiting around time built in.

That's what they're trying to change with the new retail spaces at Union. The idea is to have it become a destination in itself - sorta like a second Eaton Centre.

I lament the missing PATH connections on the York side -- the "proposed" dotted line is still taunting us today.

upload_2017-10-30_10-31-23.png

The dotted line taunts.

It's going to be very important to the viability of the Union Mall as a destination -- lunch destination included too.

With connections to CitiGroup Place, One University, Royal York, 95/100 Wellington West, and 70 York, and all the connecting buildings, the Union Mall would definitely be economically viable. But where are the connections today in the pre-electrification era?

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-30_10-31-23.png
    upload_2017-10-30_10-31-23.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 345
That's what they're trying to change with the new retail spaces at Union. The idea is to have it become a destination in itself - sorta like a second Eaton Centre.
Yes....people said that when plans were first unveiled.....I received a bit of grief from posters when I suggested, then, that this was going to end up just being a gigantic food court....nothing wrong with that but the notion that a broad category retail destination would sprout up at Union just did not jive with the knowledge I have about retail.

So, when tenants start appearing that contradict the "big food court" that I saw developing, I might start to change my view.

With connections to CitiGroup Place, One University, Royal York, 95/100 Wellington West, and 70 York, and all the connecting buildings, the Union Mall would definitely be economically viable. But where are the connections today in the pre-electrification era?

It is connected to CitiGroup Place, that connection opened a couple of years ago, as indicated by the short solid line. Similarly there is an underground connection that goes across to the northwest corner of the Front/York intersection then it's about a 15 second outdoor walk to One University. Royal York is directly across the street, while a PATH connection would be nice, it's less than a one minute walk door to door.

But yes, it would be very nice to have the full path connection from the north side of Front up to Wellington. Shame they scrapped it.

It's hard to tell what some of the proprietors at Front Street Promenades will be selling by their names. Stomach purges? Instadates from California?

AoD
Calii Love is a Poke restaurant. There’s one on King and Peter and another in Yorkville. Amazing food, though very pricey for fast food.

Yes....people said that when plans were first unveiled.....I received a bit of grief from posters when I suggested, then, that this was going to end up just being a gigantic food court....nothing wrong with that but the notion that a broad category retail destination would sprout up at Union just did not jive with the knowledge I have about retail.

So, when tenants start appearing that contradict the "big food court" that I saw developing, I might start to change my view.

Perhaps, but the thing is, there's no room for expansion at Eaton Centre (unless the Atrium is redeveloped), so a retailer may be forced to "settle" for Union.

Can we keep the slide? :rolleyes:
I want to slide like the Simcoe Wave Deck :D:)

Most likely for cycles.

I expect the other side will be a ramp for accessibility.

Perhaps, but the thing is, there's no room for expansion at Eaton Centre (unless the Atrium is redeveloped), so a retailer may be forced to "settle" for Union.
If the retail world in Toronto was as binary as that I might agree......it is not.

EDIT: thought about it even more....no, if the retail market was that binary and a new tenant was looking at the market, and the Eaton Centre was full...there is no guarantee that any tenant would say "heck, I will locate in the other place".....just not how it works.

If the retail world in Toronto was as binary as that I might agree......it is not.

EDIT: thought about it even more....no, if the retail market was that binary and a new tenant was looking at the market, and the Eaton Centre was full...there is no guarantee that any tenant would say "heck, I will locate in the other place".....just not how it works.

"Settle" might have been the wrong word, but perhaps Union would give downtown some much-needed mall space.

Back