Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

saw the Bay side, Union Station sign. It looks better there than I thought.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 762
Wow, I think that looks great. Is the Bay and Front intersection completely cleaned up now too?
Finally, yes. There's a few odds and ends like the ugly fence where TTC removed the signposts, and the Bay moat has a reduced spot of construction clutter, but standing in the middle of Front street, I can't see construction barriers anymore. Whee!

There are two square-sided bollards (a bit like mini obelisks) on either side of Front near Bay - one of them is metal (possibly copper?), the other appears to be encased in wood. They're completely different from the rounded steel bollards on the rest of Front. Anyone seen these and know what they are for?

(I should have taken a picture.)

There are two square-sided bollards (a bit like mini obelisks) on either side of Front near Bay - one of them is metal (possibly copper?), the other appears to be encased in wood. They're completely different from the rounded steel bollards on the rest of Front. Anyone seen these and know what they are for?
The wood "bollard" is a temporary cover for bolts/electrical for a post of some kind (e.g. streetlight, stoplight).

Based on their locations, it is probably the post for the new permanent traffic lights.

Last edited:
There were doing it today too, looks like pigeon-proofing (or maybe that's wishful thinking!

Checked today and they seem to have been installing equipment so that they can hang banners in between the columns. Not sure I like this idea but ....

Banners is correct. Also noticed a Bike Share station going in on Front Street.

The area is being prepared for the open air food market beginning Monday.

HPIM0824.jpg
HPIM0796.jpg

Attachments

• HPIM0824.jpg
    HPIM0824.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 1,577
  • HPIM0796.jpg
    HPIM0796.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 1,568
Finally, yes. There's a few odds and ends like the ugly fence where TTC removed the signposts

I wonder how fast they're going to turn that around. They clearly changed their minds entirely about what to put there but with the PanAm Games now less than a week away, is it possible that whatever alternative they're going with will be fabricated and assembled in time? That's the one thing I've loved about PanAm so far. Construction on projects all over the city are being completed all at once in this simultaneous removal of hoarding and fencing city wide.

Also noticed a Bike Share station going in on Front Street.

What a pleasant surprise! The absence of a Bike Share station on the north side of Union Station always struck me as a serious oversight given the ridership potential from people arriving in town by train.

What a pleasant surprise! The absence of a Bike Share station on the north side of Union Station always struck me as a serious oversight given the ridership potential from people arriving in town by train.
I believe that there was previously a Bixi station on Front north of Union, which was removed for construction.

Is it in the taxi lane or is it in a different location for it?

It's in the pick-up/drop-off lay-by, with beaten-up black & orange pylons next to it.

I believe the only official taxi lay-by is in front of the west moat (at least the only one with a sign indicating such), although taxis are using the space in front of the east moat as well.

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5067.jpg
    IMG_5067.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 925
  • IMG_5069.jpg
    IMG_5069.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 905
Yes, it was there until the area became a construction site. It was moved to in front of the Dominion Public Building about a block east.

Correct, and it remains in front of the Dominion Public Building. So there are now 2 bike stations in this immediate area.

Last edited:

Back