Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Wow, that sign is a new standard of ugly for the TTC.
Actually, I believe that's TTC, GO, VIA and UPX. Only TTC has been installed.

On my morning commute, I saw they've removed several blank placeholders exposing the lights behind the sign. Presumably, the GO, VIA and UPX signage is coming shortly.

Last edited:
Cost overruns can be for many reasons, but when you look at distressed big construction projects (my job), it usually comes down to some combination of
a) poor contractor performance, either themselves or by mismanagement by the owner
b) poor estimating in the beginning - this is often the case in mining projects, where the go to tender with low design definition (and here it's only 20-30%). Poor contingency estimation relates to definition.
c) scope creep by the owner (or goldplating)

Sounds like this one is a combination of a) and b). Managing the contractor depends A LOT on how strong the contract is, and how strong the owner's project manager is.

Well, the street is clearly coming along, but I'm a bit deflated to still sign fences and mess behind them. Hopefully by the end of the month this street is finally cleared up.

It'll be especially nice when Bay/Front is cleaned up. I literally can't remember when that intersection wasn't a mess.

Well, the street is clearly coming along, but I'm a bit deflated to still sign fences and mess behind them. Hopefully by the end of the month this street is finally cleared up.
At this rate, they are definitely going to be gone by July 10, and probably much sooner.

I commute through here everyday, and it's a big relief to see the Bay+Front intersection become far more pedestrian friendly. Now there's 40 to 50 feet of road-crossing width where there was only 6 feet of width. What remains in fencing appears to be actively worked on (concrete under brick and tiles) and I see rapid progress in the remaining part of the sidewalks now. All the Union scaffolding on the Bay side is gone now, and if construction materials disappearance continues at this pace, the exterior construction stuff will be gone by early July.

I think we'll be fine on that front (pun intended).

They are now installing (re-installing) the restored the old clock in front of Union Station. I am not sure how long it has been gone but I think it has not been there for many years.

From Sunday.
IMG_7720.jpg
IMG_7725.jpg
IMG_7726.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7720.jpg
    IMG_7720.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 923
  • IMG_7725.jpg
    IMG_7725.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 950
  • IMG_7726.jpg
    IMG_7726.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 924
Actually, I believe that's TTC, GO, VIA and UPX. Only TTC has been installed.

On my morning commute, I saw they've removed several blank placeholders exposing the lights behind the sign. Presumably, the GO, VIA and UPX signage is coming shortly.

Regardless, it's an incoherent design. Looks nothing like any other system signage, and is, imo very ugly.

Nice to see the good old clock back.

I hope its illumination isn't out-illuminated by the overly-bright TTC signage in the background. Perhaps we should ask them to slightly dim the lighting in the two glass monoliths in the northeast corner of Union -- it's brightly fluorescent lit at night. I don't mind their appearance, but the nighttime illumination dominates the facade, and probably could be de-tuned by about 75% and still be quite visible.

It's the sculpture that is of secondary importance to me. It's not exactly elegant, and that won't be improved upon with its new neighbour, but I think the clock, being black, actually gives it a little more context.

Back