Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

As for the 4 tracks in the corridor, the following areas will see only 3 for the time being: 401, Etobicoke North Station, Weston Tunnel, Weston Station and Bloor Station. The rest is to have 4 tracks late this year and by the summer of 2015.

Bloor may happen sooner than later since it will be part of the next platform work to be done this winter. Etobicoke North can't happen until the new station is built. Weston Tunnel should happen regardless if the Weston platform is not on the table as well the 401 underpass since the area between them will be 4 tracks by year end.

As for fare, one needs to look at systems around the world to see the fare on trains is the same as local transit, as well part of the transit fare.

It is a 6 hour walk from Milton GO station to Pearson.

On the other hand, it is a 45 minute walk from Malton GO station to Pearson. Still a long walk but I'm sure this is what you were referring to. ��

The Malton GO station is 4.8 km to Terminal 3.. quite a long way for a LINK train to go.

Oops. Yes, I meant Malton.

And Google says Malton to Terminal 1 is 4 km (40 minutes) and to Terminal 3 is about 3 km (30 minutes)--although if you if you just type Terminal 3 it gives you some convoluted route for some reason which gives the 45 minutes you quoted--I don't think that can be right.

And unless it goes underground, a LINK train extension to Renforth gateway would be even farther than an extension to Malton GO.

Last edited:
As for the 4 tracks in the corridor, the following areas will see only 3 for the time being: 401, Etobicoke North Station, Weston Tunnel, Weston Station and Bloor Station. The rest is to have 4 tracks late this year and by the summer of 2015.

There will be 4 tracks all the way up to the 401 at the least by April. There also appear to be 4 mainline tracks at the interlocking at Pearson, which is where the spur to the Airport branches off.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There will be 4 tracks all the way up to the 401 at the least by April. There also appear to be 4 mainline tracks at the interlocking at Pearson, which is where the spur to the Airport branches off.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
The airport interlock block is setup for 4 tracks, but only 2 tracks in place on both sides of it. The block starts at Martin Grove with the block setup for 5 tracks, but mast up for 4. Track 5 out of service due to station construction. 4 & 3 are mainline with 2 being used as a spur to the Islington industrial building. There is a run around track 2 just west of Kipling for a short section with the current 2 becoming #1 there.

The only way you can get 4 tracks in at Weston Station is to built it without the platform for the #1 track. You only got 3 track platforms there now. That track 1 platform will have provision for the future Bolton line on the east side of it.

As I stated, the #1 track is being left out the Weston Tunnel at this time since it can't connect to the station as will not being able to have service on it to the Weston interlock north of it. 4 tracks will be in place from the interlock to the Islington Interlock.

#1 was a down the road for Bloor Station, but is now being advance, but can't go in until late 2015 after the built the new platform for it and track 2 starting Dec/Jan and subject to weather.

4 tracks will be in place north of Bloor Station to Dennison Rd.

The Eglinton Crosstown and the Finch West LRT are already planned to go to Pearson Terminal 1 in The Big Move. If rapid transit network connectivity is such a big priority for Metrolinx, they would have both of them terminate at Malton GO instead. I think this would have the added bonus of being less of a security issue too IMO.

Is there a UT thread about this mythical LINK train connection to Malton GO? People talk about it like it's actually something being planned. Well, Malton GO and the airport have been there for decades and there is no LINK train.

Is there a UT thread about this mythical LINK train connection to Malton GO? People talk about it like it's actually something being planned. Well, Malton GO and the airport have been there for decades and there is no LINK train.
I think everyone else is well aware that there's no plans for such a link. Which thread? Fantasy map thread I'd say.

A) I reject your characterization that its just for tourists, Torontonians flying in and out of Pearson will use it.

I don't see many Torontonians using it. At $30/person, it's cheaper to take a cab if you're 2 or more. At that kind of fare you also price out the people who work at the airport, who would be a more reliable source of ridership. And of Torontonians flying out of Pearson, how many live by Union Station who aren't flying out of Billy Bishop for short-haul flights? SNC-Lavalin backed out of the project out of concern that there may not be enough ridership for it to be successful.

B) Isn't it useful that serving a "few people" will eliminate 1.2 million car trips off the 427 and the Gardiner?
For me, I live by Dundas West and work by the airport, and yet I will continue to drive because this service does nothing for me. The 1.2 million number is optimistic, according to the auditor general. And I am arguing that we could attract more riders, and therefor eliminate more car trips off the 427/Gardiner if it were treated more like public transit and less as a premium service.

C) If you noticed the thread title, this is part of the Georgetown South project. This means some of that track capacity is in fact for 2 way all day GO service, which will receive heavy usage

The Georgetown South project is a very good idea. It was started by GO before metrolinx was in charge. I just think that having a dedicated airport shuttle using the tracks is not an effective use of track space, especially since the UPX trains have to go from the southernmost track to the northernmost track, which has a strong potential for conflict with the AD2W service on the Georgetown corridor. The reason for doing this, that the UPX *lounge* for a service that comes every 15 minutes is on the northernmost track, is somewhat silly. I think that service to the airport should be part of the AD2W GO, either through a people-mover to Malton, or by rerouting the Kitchener line to have an airport station.

The Georgetown South project is a very good idea. It was started by GO before metrolinx was in charge. I just think that having a dedicated airport shuttle using the tracks is not an effective use of track space, especially since the UPX trains have to go from the southernmost track to the northernmost track, which has a strong potential for conflict with the AD2W service on the Georgetown corridor. The reason for doing this, that the UPX *lounge* for a service that comes every 15 minutes is on the northernmost track, is somewhat silly. I think that service to the airport should be part of the AD2W GO, either through a people-mover to Malton, or by rerouting the Kitchener line to have an airport station.

The southernmost track in Georgetown corridor and the northernmost track at union are side by side with nothing inbetween (don't forget about the expanded fly under). There are some conflicts, but not from that particular manoeuvre, and nothing that would prevent ~10 minute service on all GO lines using the Georgetown corridor (Barrie, Milton, Kitchener).

Second to that, UPX frequencies are only 15 minutes and there is no technical need to dedicate 2 tracks to it for that, nor is Metrolinx expecting to do so.

Last edited:
The airport interlock block is setup for 4 tracks, but only 2 tracks in place on both sides of it. The block starts at Martin Grove with the block setup for 5 tracks, but mast up for 4. Track 5 out of service due to station construction. 4 & 3 are mainline with 2 being used as a spur to the Islington industrial building. There is a run around track 2 just west of Kipling for a short section with the current 2 becoming #1 there.

The only way you can get 4 tracks in at Weston Station is to built it without the platform for the #1 track. You only got 3 track platforms there now. That track 1 platform will have provision for the future Bolton line on the east side of it.

As I stated, the #1 track is being left out the Weston Tunnel at this time since it can't connect to the station as will not being able to have service on it to the Weston interlock north of it. 4 tracks will be in place from the interlock to the Islington Interlock.

#1 was a down the road for Bloor Station, but is now being advance, but can't go in until late 2015 after the built the new platform for it and track 2 starting Dec/Jan and subject to weather.

That's not what the final track maps say Drum.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't see many Torontonians using it. At $30/person, it's cheaper to take a cab if you're 2 or more.
There's been no indication that the fare for 2 riders to Pearson will be $60. Shouldn't we wait to see what fares are before dismissing it?

For me, I live by Dundas West and work by the airport, and yet I will continue to drive because this service does nothing for me.
If your worried about the fare, why drive to the airport? It's 15 minutes on the subway to Klpling Station, and the express bus from Kipling to Pearson takes 19 minutes. 40 minutes for the whole trip. I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 10 minutes for an airport bus, normally there is one there when I get to Kipling. Might save a couple of minutes driving, but I can't drive any faster from Kipling than the airport bus, and it drops you at the front door of the terminal, so much quicker than parking. I've been doing this from Woodbine since airport parking started to cross the $100 mark.

The fares haven't been announced and there will likely be family discounts and airport worker or regular user discounts.

The group of people who travel by themselves and live or do business near Union or downtown in general is actually pretty large.

A public transit (read regular) link to the airport and a private express link are NOT mutually exclusive. Why do people continue to act like the UPX is being built at the expense of some other transit link.

Why do people continue to ask rhetorical questions without using question marks?

A public transit (read regular) link to the airport and a private express link are NOT mutually exclusive. Why do people continue to act like the UPX is being built at the expense of some other transit link.

We're flogging a dead horse, here, people.

But all the capital has been spent on a "private" express link. That's what the powers that be wanted. The Eglinton LRT extension funding was deferred (read: cancelled) while UPX (with its suspect business case) goes ahead. There is no money for a regular transit rail link.

Back