Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

How many tracks are being put above that tall bridge over Black Creek Drive? Its just the one now, but the base of the bridge looks as though it was designed wider to accomodate expansion. Any info on this?

How many tracks are being put above that tall bridge over Black Creek Drive? Its just the one now, but the base of the bridge looks as though it was designed wider to accomodate expansion. Any info on this?

There are two separate bridges now. The south western bridge which only has one track will be widened to handle for tracks although the rail will only be laid for three initially.

York MPP calls for Canadian content

Newmarket Aurora MPP Frank Klees is railing against what he describes as an “untendered backroom deal” to purchase trains to run from the airport to downtown Toronto.
I bet he's a Tory ...

... same ninnies that railed against the HST that they said they would keep if elected ...

There is some waste in not buying electric trains from the beginning. Mind you, it's not an absolute disaster in the making, but a concern nonetheless.

Perhaps, but not the "all the money spent" is wasted as you suggested. The maximum extent of waste would be the cost difference between Electric for delivery in 2014/2015 and the cost of these deisels (including the cost of conversion)....but wether that is actually a waste or not depends on what value you put on the system being up and running 3 or 4 years earlier?

I bet the "waste" is not that significant really.

I highly doubt the electric conversion will happen as soon as people seem to predict when they are talking about waste on here. It isn't funded, and the province already has lots of projects in the ten year plan time frame that are.

Unless an NDP government gets elected (the horror!) I would cast serious doubt on the electrification project for this corridor being complete by mid next decade.

I highly doubt the electric conversion will happen as soon as people seem to predict when they are talking about waste on here. It isn't funded, and the province already has lots of projects in the ten year plan time frame that are.

Unless an NDP government gets elected (the horror!) I would cast serious doubt on the electrification project for this corridor being complete by mid next decade.

What makes you say that? The wheels have been set in motion for electrification the purchase of these trainsets is so that the ARL will be ready for 2015. No reson to think that conversion would not continue.

What makes you say that? The wheels have been set in motion for electrification the purchase of these trainsets is so that the ARL will be ready for 2015. No reson to think that conversion would not continue.

Only the environmental assessment is funded. Pretty easy to stop things as we can see with Transit City if there is little money.

Only the environmental assessment is funded. Pretty easy to stop things as we can see with Transit City if there is little money.

I don't see what the impetus would be to stop. The purchase of the trainsets, like the purchase of the TBM's etc for the Eglinton line, show clear intent to continue along the current path. Like Transit City it would take a herculean effort, not to mention the bad press, to cancel any plans to electrify the corridor.

The WCC for one would have a holy fit if the trainsets were purchased, with the promise of future electrification, only to yank out the carpet on them at the end.

The purchase of the trainsets, like the purchase of the TBM's etc for the Eglinton line, show clear intent to continue along the current path.

You realize they bought diesel trainsets don't you? They haven't paid for anything electric yet. The only promise I have heard is Tier-4 diesel plus the Electrification Study. Right now the approval of the electrification study is similar to a lot of approved and unfunded projects of the past. It has less momentum than Obama's high speed rail plan at this moment and I am not convinced that project will deliver anything other than a quicker trip between Fresno and Bakersfield.

You realize they bought diesel trainsets don't you? They haven't paid for anything electric yet. The only promise I have heard is Tier-4 diesel plus the Electrification Study. Right now the approval of the electrification study is similar to a lot of approved and unfunded projects of the past. It has less momentum than Obama's high speed rail plan at this moment and I am not convinced that project will deliver anything other than a quicker trip between Fresno and Bakersfield.

The diesel train units are convertible to electric use, I've heard.

The diesel train units are convertible to electric use, I've heard.

Yes, earlier in this thread I said as much. However SMART who also bought this model and ran the open tender process weren't looking for something upgradable to electric at all. There isn't much to suggest that this is anything more than fortunate co-incidence. It certainly doesn't indicate that Metrolinx is on an unstoppable course to electrification in the near term. I would agree that in the long term it is likely... as is a Yonge extension to Richmond Hill, and GO trains on the Orangeville line.

Back