Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

This is terrible. Absolutely braindead stuff. As an added train it could make sense, but cutting the service from Bloor is totally goofy. At 30 minutes, if you miss a train you're in danger of missing your flight and the service becomes useless and unreliable. Not to mention how busy Bloor has become as an RER style service to get downtown. I find this move totally bizarre.
LOL, you do realize that you can still take a train from Union to Pearson and vice versa every 15 minutes still. Just, one is express and one isn't.

Very few people take the train to the airport for the purpose of travel from Weston or Bloor. That's why they are doing this.

As a regular rider of UP and a huge fan of the train both as a commuter and flyer, I'm extremely angry by this move. Actively makes the service worse for a ton of people for a negligible benefit.
There are tons of airport workers and flight attendants who take the train from Bloor Station.

And as a traveller who takes the train from Bloor to and from the airport, it's one thing to time your departure based on the revised schedule, but I'm not looking forward to arriving at Pearson and then worrying that I will need to wait for 30 minutes for my train.

There are tons of airport workers and flight attendants who take the train from Bloor Station.

And as a traveller who takes the train from Bloor to and from the airport, it's one thing to time your departure based on the revised schedule, but I'm not looking forward to arriving at Pearson and then worrying that I will need to wait for 30 minutes for my train.

I wonder if this is permanent or if they would go back to stopping every 15 minutes at Bloor and Weston once the Kitchener Line/Weston Sub 4th track is fully operational, including (or excluding) the 409-401 tunnel? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

Doesn't say how fast the express trip will be. I believe the current trip is about 25 minutes? That would make the express potential less than 20 minutes which is pretty amazing.
Internal schedules show 23 minutes, but there’s a chance that’s padded as stuff tends to be on GO; we’ll see when service begins

I'm sorry, but if you're timing your flight in such a way that one missed transit connection makes you in danger of missing your flight, that's on you.

Back in 2022, when the airport was jam packed with delays and the media outlets were advising travelers to show up 3-4 hours in advance, I was baffled, because that's what my family has been doing for as long as I've been on this mortal coil. People who leave their flight connections to the last minute are always so fascinating to me. What are you going to do in the time that you save, run errands? Show up well in advance and enjoy the peace of mind... or at least, as much peace of mind as you can reasonably hope for out of modern travel.

That being said, I agree that the expresses should have been put in. Cutting the level of service for Bloor and Weston seems needlessly punitive.
As said by someone doesn't travel for work. ^

When you have a flight every couple of weeks (or more often), you'll have NEXUS for transborder trips and priority security. I'm through security and US customs in <15 mins every time I travel, and like most other business travellers am not going to spend 3-4 hours at the airport, because that would mean living a good part of my life there.

I can always just expense an uber, but I don't mind taking the UPX and as long as it's a 15 min service, it's a reasonable alternative. At 30 mins, it's not.

I wonder if this is permanent or if they would go back to stopping every 15 minutes at Bloor and Weston once the Kitchener Line/Weston Sub 4th track is fully operational, including (or excluding) the 409-401 tunnel? cc @crs1026 @smallspy
Good point! It's also hard to square with the fact that the pedestrian tunnel is being built to connect to the Dundas West subway

Interesting dilemma - would the average Bloor/Weston traveller order an expensive Uber or Airport Limo just to save the 15 minutes of waiting for the train? It's definitely a less convenient service to the airport for these folks, but I wonder if the loss of revenue will be all that great.

The huge strategic error in all this was only starting an appropriate regional GO transit service nine years after the airport service started operation.

I expect the Bloor (and before long, Liberty) UPE stop(s) will return once the local travellers have discovered and been weaned onto the now-more-frequent GO trains. Maybe the pricing will be adjusted so there is a premium paid to jump on UPE.

- Paul
Not to mention Mt. Dennis, which will have the fastest connection to UPX of any of its stations.

I can always just expense an uber, but I don't mind taking the UPX and as long as it's a 15 min service, it's a reasonable alternative. At 30 mins, it's not.

Then hopefully express trains will stop at Mount Dennis once it opens. Depending on how it's scheduled, you could take a Kitchener Line train from Bloor to Mount Dennis, then transfer to UPX.

The huge strategic error in all this was only starting an appropriate regional GO transit service nine years after the airport service started operation.
The Terminal Link train should go to the Malton GO station. It's nuts that we have a regional GO train station beside the airport, with now not infrequent trains in both directions, but with no link to the airport.

Last edited:
Toronto urbanists are repulsed at the sight of express trains flying past train stations.

"The train must stop at every station!"
Adding express service to the line is a great idea. But that's not the full story of what's happening here. Bloor and Weston are seeing a 50% service reduction while Union and Pearson see the same levels of service (perhaps a few minutes faster for the express trains).

It is a service cut and the people who live near Bloor and Weston stations are correct to see it that way.

From the Non-Pearson GO commuter’s perspective, a service that offered a stopping train every 15 minutes has become. Service offering two stopping UPE trains and two stopping GO trains. If the GO trains are scheduled appropriately, the impact is zero, other than perhaps having to watch the boards carefully at Union so one heads for the right platform.
The Pearson to Bloor market is adversely affected. I’m not so upset that the Weston to Pearson market is affected, Weston was never a desirable stop.
The other market is the Mount Pleasant to Pearson market - people do get off GO at Weston to backtrack to Pearson.

- Paul

Then hopefully express trains will stop at Mount Dennis once it opens. Depending on how it's scheduled, you could take a Kitchener Line train from Bloor to Mount Dennis, then transfer to UPX.
Or instead of adding another stop on the UP Express, you could just ride the Eglinton Crosstown all the way to Renforth, once the Western extension is complete, and take an express Airport bus from there.

Back