Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I wonder why more airports with mainline rail links don't do so with windy elevated guideways!

I await the day we have a proper rail link to the airport ala AMS, CDG, BER (even Heathrow has fast trains). It won't be cheap but a tunnel and one big station in the terminal area (that can't only support short janky DMUs which aren't compatible with most of the network) will be a good investment.
When Union station West is built they should just extend the people mover to the station and eliminate the airport spurr all together.

When Union station West is built they should just extend the people mover to the station and eliminate the airport spurr all together.
You must build a new people mover as the existing one is unable to be extended period.

People movers are windy to get around the layout of the terminals as well where it connects to main transit/rail line.

Running transit under an airport is not cheap and it has been done for a fair number of airports. Berlin new airport has rail under it and was built when the airport was being built. There have been plans for several airports to have rail run to them and have been scraped due to cost as well not being cost beneficial in the first place.

You must build a new people mover as the existing one is unable to be extended period.

People movers are windy to get around the layout of the terminals as well where it connects to main transit/rail line.

Running transit under an airport is not cheap and it has been done for a fair number of airports. Berlin new airport has rail under it and was built when the airport was being built. There have been plans for several airports to have rail run to them and have been scraped due to cost as well not being cost beneficial in the first place.
I thought the cable car was difficult to extend but not impossible - wasn’t it supposed to be expandable to the T1 extension?

the fact that the other end has the car park right behind always seemed to me a bit of a showstopper for extending the other way.

As for the upthread comments about UPX, yes, the spur is slow and winding. That is a factor of Pearson not having much interest (or having seeming hostility) to a mass transit link, no proper alignment preserved for it, and the trains therefore having to thread through a spaghetti of auto junctions and ramps while under strict control against overrunning at the stub platform.

The business case for Blue 22 was an express connection which then became compromised into a direct connection. If it terminated at Woodbine or Malton for connection to an AirTrain APM then it would be an admission that the trains and infra for UPX be taken out of service, and the track slots repurposed for additional GO service. That would facilitate better GO service to eastern Brampton and access to Pearson from the entire Kitchener line west of Weston, but equally loud cheers would likely be heard from the management of City Centre/Billy Bishop Airport

It can both be extended and have additional cars BUT they would need to buy the "Pinched Loop" modules which allows the car to be unlinked from the cable at stops and crossover points, and an additional rope & power station. It's not a cheap upgrade but it is available.

The Oakland airport installation is 5km long and runs 4 trains.

Last edited:
That said, the Link is definitely extendable to the second proposed T2 station, which was in the original design.

If Union Station West is near the current Viscount Station, then I don't see any reason that a replacement for Viscount couldn'tbe built; though I think they'd need additional capacity.

I thought the cable car was difficult to extend but not impossible - wasn’t it supposed to be expandable to the T1 extension?

I could be mistaken but an extension of the cable car would mean a reduction in service frequency since there is no infrastructure in place for the cable cars to change sides.

I chuckle every time I’m on the UPX towards Union and the PA announces Bloor Station “with connections to TTC and GO.” Is there any scenario where someone travelling on the UPX towards Union would transfer to Bloor GO? How about those travelling towards Pearson?

I chuckle every time I’m on the UPX towards Union and the PA announces Bloor Station “with connections to TTC and GO.” Is there any scenario where someone travelling on the UPX towards Union would transfer to Bloor GO? How about those travelling towards Pearson?
Why not? There are plenty of people who live on the Bloor Line and would want to commute to the airport. Imagine if you lived at, idk, Christie Station, and you were heading to the airport. Transfering to the UP Express saves about 15m compared to going all the way to kipling and taking the 900.

Likewise there are plenty of people who use the UPX for non-airport related trips as a sort of west end rapid transit line. If you live west of Bloor station, it is often faster to transfer to UP and ride that to downtown instead of hauling all the way to Line 1.

Edit: I misread and completely misunderstood the question. Ye the GO part doesn't need to exist, although at the same time its technically true and it doesn't hurt to mention it.

Last edited:
If you live west of Bloor station, it is often faster to transfer to UP and ride that to downtown instead of hauling all the way to Line 1.
I used to do this to get High Park from Union until they separated the UP fare from the GO fare. Back then, with the transfer credit at Union from the Lakeshore Line, the Union to Bloor leg was free.

Why not? There are plenty of people who live on the Bloor Line and would want to commute to the airport. Imagine if you lived at, idk, Christie Station, and you were heading to the airport. Transfering to the UP Express saves about 15m compared to going all the way to kipling and taking the 900.
Sure - but how does that involve transferring between GO and UP.

Presumably announcement are generic. Perhaps one days there's a GO train north that stops at Bloor but doesn't stop at Weston? Or in case there's system problems.

I don't see the harm.

I suspect that the call to the connection there is made for people who are going west from the airport, not east, and missed the first chance at Weston.

When the new station is built at Garrison Common, and won't be there to serve UPX trains, the connection for people heading further east will then become more important. How well it is used, well, that's a different question.

Dan

I suspect that the call to the connection there is made for people who are going west from the airport, not east, and missed the first chance at Weston.

When the new station is built at Garrison Common, and won't be there to serve UPX trains, the connection for people heading further east will then become more important. How well it is used, well, that's a different question.

Dan
Garrison Common? What? unless you mean the liberty village KW smart track stop?

Back