Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

yeah well, this entire miller asking for the link to be done - hasn't the city basically been pissy about this project from day 1? I mean, they worked to undermine the initial project, to block the george town line grade separation, to force electrification on the route, etc, etc.

Now the mayor complains about delays, calls on the province to get moving? Give me a break...

how dare you point out the hypocrisy of the situation!!!

Did he really take that stand??? I don't remember hearing much from the mayors office on the issue.

If he did take that position though, and now is complaining about the delays. Then.....

Mayor Miller was in support of the ARL before the summer, but was conveniently silent during the EA process and the controversy that surrounded it.

From August 5, 2008:

"Both Mayor Miller and Premier McGuinty have stated that Toronto needs what most of the world's biggest cities have, which is a rail connection between the airport and downtown," [Nicole] Lippa-Gasparro [Secretary to the Environment Minister] said.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/472255

Mr. Giambrone has also supported the project as proposed, although less vocally (end of article): http://www.westoncommunitycoalition...cklesFearsInWestonAreaPremierSays-22Jan09.pdf. During the summer he appeared to join the anti- airport link movement.

Last edited:
Miller also fouled up the Union Pearson Group deal, which in the end left Union Station in city hands. Not sure exactly how that happened however.

Don't get me wrong... Mayor Miller has done more for Toronto than any other leader in recent memory. However, I am disappointed in his silence on the issue when the politic heated up.

Miller hasn't been a part of the obstacles to building the Georgetown line enhancements and didn't foul up the Union Pearson deal. Get your facts straight. I know people love to blame everything on Miller like he has some kind of control over the province (which controls Metrolinx, GO, and the environmental assessment process), the federal government (which initiated the air-rail link project), and council (where he still has only one vote). The Weston community coalition and other resident groups are not controlled by Miller nor was Paula Dill a puppet of Miller. Resident groups supported by local politicians have slowed the Georgetown line, and the Union station redevelopment process was fouled up before Miller was even elected mayor in December 2003 by strange bid evaluation irregularities. As a result of both delays however the end result in Weston will allow for better neighbourhood connections in Weston and a far better Union Station master plan than what was proposed by both LP Heritage and Union Pearson Group.

Did I blame Miller?

No

I simply said he could have said more in support of the project after the new proposal went to EA review...

I resent your comment.

I would also blame the province for their the original Blue 22 idea, which was widely deemed ill-conceived on this forum and hence delayed an airport link, and GO Transit, for their refusal to implement noise proper noise mitigation strategies in building their infrastructure through dense areas. Metrolinx should also be held accountable for the Georgetown Line delays, for using inferior rail technology that has been condemned by the Toronto's medical officer of health on what's supposed to be a busy line through dense urban neighbourhoods.

I would also blame the province for their the original Blue 22 idea, which was widely deemed ill-conceived on this forum and hence delayed an airport link, and GO Transit, for their refusal to implement noise proper noise mitigation strategies in building their infrastructure through dense areas. Metrolinx should also be held accountable for the Georgetown Line delays, for using inferior rail technology that has been condemned by the Toronto's medical officer of health on what's supposed to be a busy line through dense urban neighbourhoods.

Didn't the medical officer retract their condemnation?

Didn't the medical officer retract their condemnation?

Retracted that it would cause cancer, not that they didn't like it. But yeah, it is now approved (the EA) so the only road block is the spur (and where to build the boarding platform at Union).

But yeah, it is now approved (the EA) so the only road block is the spur (and where to build the boarding platform at Union).

Pretty sure the EA covered the spur. A separate study that I can't find a link to off-hand recommended that ARL trains should board on Union platform 3/track 1.

Did I blame Miller?

No

The comment was directed primarily at Darwinkgo and others like him who love to blame Miller for everything including cloudy weather.

I simply said he could have said more in support of the project after the new proposal went to EA review...

Why would he? The air-rail link is a federal project, and the GO expansion on the line is a provincial project largely to serve residents who are not Torontonians while passing many Toronto neighbourhoods which don't have access to rapid transit and would be impacted by the construction. I fail to see how it would be in his best interest to get more involved in federal and provincial matters which don't deliver value to impacted residents even if he does support it.

Last edited:
Georgetown EA left the spur tbd, so will need its own TEA.

What?? The Georgetown EA included the spur to the airport including elevations showing exactly where the track would go (Appendix I - Plates 30 through 34) and where the train servicing depot would be located (i.e the properties at the end of Dorman Rd). The ground floor plan of the Union Station revitalization clearly shows that the airport rail link will use track 1 (platform 3) and their lounge will be located on the ground floor in the west wing on the south side with direct access to the platform.

I would also blame the province for their the original Blue 22 idea, which was widely deemed ill-conceived on this forum and hence delayed an airport link, and GO Transit, for their refusal to implement noise proper noise mitigation strategies in building their infrastructure through dense areas.

The province has nothing to do with Blue 22. Blue 22 is the name SNC Lavalin gave their plan to meet the needs of a plan set in motion by David Collenette, the federal transport minister, for an air-rail link. Blue 22 can't have delayed the airport link when it is simply a brand name for the airport link. The airport rail link being built is exactly what Blue 22 proposed plus corridor enhancements to meet GO requirements plus the demands of vocal communities along the route.

Back