Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Cue the cries of under built and moar construction!!!

I think the UPX should have always been GO-RER from the get-go, but obviously we would be sans airport train right now if that was the case. We are looking at 2025 for GO-RER so we will still get 6 more years minimum out of the system. That being said, I believe the most expensive part was the airport spur; as long as they reuse this with GO-RER trains then its not a total wash. The spur had to be built to mainline standards, as is the rule by Transport Canada for using the UPX on a mainline, so it should support the weight of a double decker EMU. The Pearson station might have to be modified a bit. Perhaps we can buy some dual level boarding trains for the Kitchener Line, like Caltrain has

Caltrain-Stadler.jpg

and the high platforms can be maintained at the UPX stations. The current trains can be easily sold to SMART in California.

Modifications would have to be made to Pearson station, but I think this is the best option.

Last edited:
I think the UPX should have always been GO-RER from the get-go, but obviously we would be sans airport train right now if that was the case. We are looking at 2025 for GO-RER so we will still get 6 more years minimum out of the system. That being said, I believe the most expensive part was the airport spur; as long as they reuse this with GO-RER trains then its not a total wash. The spur had to be built to mainline standards, as is the rule by Transport Canada for using the UPX on a mainline, so it should support the weight of a double decker EMU. The Pearson station might have to be modified a bit. Perhaps we can buy some dual level boarding trains for the Kitchener Line, like Caltrain has

Caltrain-Stadler.jpg

and the high platforms can be maintained at the UPX stations. The current trains can be easily sold to SMART in California.

Modifications would have to be made to Pearson station, but I think this is the best option.

Will those be light enough for the raised sections at the airport?

I really love the UPX station at Union. I hope they don't screw that up. Adding a bridge into somewhere in the middle of the railway area is expected to add 5 minutes to the walk from Front street to the airport train where it's 1 minute now.

When drivers complain that they'll lose 3 minutes if we replace the elevated Gardiner East with a boulevard, we spend a billion dollars to rebuild a 1950's relic. When transit riders are going to have their boarding time quintupled, no problem right? ?

Also, how are we going to just use interchangeable trains to the airport? I have no problem matching the technology, electric trains are better, but the interior layout is always going to need to be different for airport riders than it is for daily commuters. Everyone going to the airport is carrying luggage and the UPX interior layout was designed specifically with that expectation. If they bring in regular commuter layouts, you can bet that every second seat is going to be used to pile on luggage.

Also, how are we going to just use interchangeable trains to the airport? I have no problem matching the technology, electric trains are better, but the interior layout is always going to need to be different for airport riders than it is for daily commuters. Everyone going to the airport is carrying luggage and the UPX interior layout was designed specifically with that expectation. If they bring in regular commuter layouts, you can bet that every second seat is going to be used to pile on luggage.

Have racks that fold up so people can stand there. When it is going to YYZ, the racks would be used and people would be seated. When going beyond YYZ, the racks lift up and people can stand there for the added space.

I have no problem matching the technology, electric trains are better, but the interior layout is always going to need to be different for airport riders than it is for daily commuters.

I expect this is the intention and not terribly different from running bicycle cars to Niagara.

I imagine the GO RER vendors flagged this physical differences of this line as adding non-trivially to their bid price (maintenance, operations, fleet renewal) and asked for permission to reconfigure it, ditch custom branding/procedures, etc. The internal report is Metrolinx's way of agreeing to changes provided capacity increases.

That being said, I believe the most expensive part was the airport spur;...

The most expensive part was the Georgetown South reconfiguration, which probably would have just started construction recently (see 401 tunnel cut from the original Georgetown South plan as it only helped GO service, not UPX) if the frequent airport service wasn't a very high priority with a deadline.

I really love the UPX station at Union. I hope they don't screw that up. Adding a bridge into somewhere in the middle of the railway area is expected to add 5 minutes to the walk from Front street to the airport train where it's 1 minute now.

When drivers complain that they'll lose 3 minutes if we replace the elevated Gardiner East with a boulevard, we spend a billion dollars to rebuild a 1950's relic. When transit riders are going to have their boarding time quintupled, no problem right? ?
That 5 minute is going to become 15 minutes when the bridge is stuff with people. Even if they convert to regular GO trains, they should stick with platform 3. It's absolutely crazy to consider having everyone with luggages to take escalators and elevators up and down from a bridge. This isn't making a good impression for tourists either.

That 5 minute is going to become 15 minutes when the bridge is stuff with people. Even if they convert to regular GO trains, they should stick with platform 3. It's absolutely crazy to consider having everyone with luggages to take escalators and elevators up and down from a bridge. This isn't making a good impression for tourists either.

That's where the 5 minutes increase comes from. It's not the relatively short increase in distance, it's the added escalators/elevators and crowding. That they're even considering this option is ridiculous.

Why would they spend this kind of money to worsen the experience?!

I'd think they'd spend this money to create a subway/rail connection at Dundas West.

This is absurd.

Why not wait until the subway/RT are connected to the airport before reinventing the UPE?

It's the 2 kph speed the UPE takes as it approaches Pearson that's most annoying. What part of "E" don't they understand?

If capacity is the issue, buy more trainsets. Right now they're over 20 mins apart, make it 5-10 mins at peak and use ATC to space them properly.

Why not wait until the subway/RT are connected to the airport before reinventing the UPE?

It's the 2 kph speed the UPE takes as it approaches Pearson that's most annoying. What part of "E" don't they understand?

If capacity is the issue, buy more trainsets. Right now they're over 20 mins apart, make it 5-10 mins at peak and use ATC to space them properly.
It is the Canadian definition of "E" LOL

Back