Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Good news for the UPX but it is still grossly underused. This is due to only one issue...the fare.

$5 from Weston for a fast service is OK but who lives right at Weston station and is going only to Union? Not many. Most people who get on between the airport and downtown used the TTC to get to the station. That's a doubling of fares. That doesn't mean much if you are going to Pearson for your flight to Mexico to sit in the sun but for the rank and file user, it's too much to pay and hence they don't and still head to the Spadina line to get downtown.

The UPX is Smart Tracks in the making. If they allowed a 100% fare integration between UPX and the TTC all of a sudden the person is only paying an extra $1.50 on their ride downtown as opposed to $5. That's a difference of $7 a day which adds up pretty damn fast. Ideally of course, Metrolinx should just hand the line over to the TTC and run it on TTC fares. This also greatly improves productivity of the best as more of the buses going to Weston and {hopefully} Etobicoke North could short-turn and provide more frequent service to the UPX. Using the UPX would also lessen the strain of overcrowding on the Spadina line which isn't too bad now but will become busier when {if ever} the extension opens.

Last edited:
How long is a train ride that a person could not wait to get home to drink water - if one is riding subway from kipling to the east end thats at least 40-45min ride. No water fountains on those trains

In theory everyone can take water with them everywhere they go, but when one is caught out, the need may be urgent. At least on the subway there are vendors every few stops, and it's easy to get off and back on again.

- Paul

If they allowed a 100% fare integration between UPX and the TTC all of a sudden the person is only paying an extra $1.50 on their ride downtown as opposed to $5. That's a difference of $7 a day which adds up pretty damn fast.
Who is "they" in this situation and what fare split do you envisage between Metrolinx and TTC?

Remember, TTC expects riders on the 141- series to pay $6.50 cash to ride a bus.

My family (1 x Senior, 2 x Adults, 2 x teens) needs to get to Pearson for a January flight to the USA leaving on a Friday at 7:15am. We live in Cabbagetown. I'd like to take the train instead of a limo or parking at the airport, mostly because I like trains and hate the traffic. However they'd be no traffic in the morning, and the earliest train leaves Union at 5:30am, arriving at 6am, leaving only one hour to get through security and to the gate - cutting it close for an international flight. Thoughts? I don't really care about the expense unless there's a huge difference.

My family (1 x Senior, 2 x Adults, 2 x teens) needs to get to Pearson for a January flight to the USA leaving on a Friday at 7:15am. We live in Cabbagetown. I'd like to take the train instead of a limo or parking at the airport, mostly because I like trains and hate the traffic. However they'd be no traffic in the morning, and the earliest train leaves Union at 5:30am, arriving at 6am, leaving only one hour to get through security and to the gate - cutting it close for an international flight. Thoughts? I don't really care about the expense unless there's a huge difference.

I'd say go for the limo. Last January i was planning on using UP but i booked a limo instead, because it was -20 with the wind chill outside. And i didn't want to drag my suitcase through the snow and slush.

Given US preclearance, there is no way I'd risk only 60 mins to flight, especially with a group. Only one thing needs to go wrong at any point and you're toast.

Yeah, the 5:30 start time for UP Express precludes getting to Pearson in time for those early morning departures to the US, and many, if not most, charter flights. When my partner and I went to Havana, we took the 300A bus on Bloor Street in Yorkville at 4:30 and got to Pearson by 5:15. That time of the morning, the 300A isn't that slow.

Reactions: rbt
I'd say go for the limo. Last January i was planning on using UP but i booked a limo instead, because it was -20 with the wind chill outside. And i didn't want to drag my suitcase through the snow and slush.
Once you are in PATH, you aren't dragging it in snow, as it is indoors all the way to airport boarding.

Minor air gap caused by Union construction nonwithstanding....

But in this particular case, large group at odd hour, Limo makes sense. That said, if I was alone, would take subway to Bloor UPX and transfer there.

Who is "they" in this situation and what fare split do you envisage between Metrolinx and TTC?

Remember, TTC expects riders on the 141- series to pay $6.50 cash to ride a bus.

It wouldn't cost the TTC a nickel. The UPX fare would remain exactly the same fare but if you take the TTC to get to the station then you $3.25 fare is automatically deducted off your UPX fare.

As far as Metrolinx, I doubt it would cost them anything either if they stopped at Et.North and Eglinton as the ridership from their smaller fare revenue would be offset by the huge jump in total ridership. The line with ET.N, Eg, and hopefully Humber which take the ridership from 7200 to 72000 overnight.

well that really insane especially now with SmartTrack. Actually I meant UPX

It wouldn't cost the TTC a nickel. The UPX fare would remain exactly the same fare but if you take the TTC to get to the station then you $3.25 fare is automatically deducted off your UPX fare.

As far as Metrolinx, I doubt it would cost them anything either if they stopped at Et.North and Eglinton as the ridership from their smaller fare revenue would be offset by the huge jump in total ridership. The line with ET.N, Eg, and hopefully Humber which take the ridership from 7200 to 72000 overnight.
72000 on UPX, that right now with every seat filled 18 hours a day could manage 32400 or so. And the TTC will send it passengers and Metrolinx, as Trump might say, will pay for it. good one.

Electrification should take less than a year for the entire stretch as it's actually quite a easy process. Until electrification they can just use the current stops and when complete they could also add Eglinton, Etobicoke North, and Humber.

Electrification should take less than a year for the entire stretch as it's actually quite a easy process. Until electrification they can just use the current stops and when complete they could also add Eglinton, Etobicoke North, and Humber.

It's not an easy process. Not just stringing some wires on poles and you are done.

You have to:
- build transformers along the line to power the wires
- acquire the land for the substation
- make sure the electrical grid can handle the extra load (probably adding higher capacity wires to get to the substation
- ensure that all the bridges can handle the increased height (for example the Union Station shed is too low...I know not for this project but for future projects)

Plus of course Weston will complain about something...probably the magnetic fields that the wires will produce.

See the EA for the entire scope of the project
http://www.gotransit.com/electrification/en/project_history/default.aspx

It's not an easy process. Not just stringing some wires on poles and you are done.

You have to:
- build transformers along the line to power the wires
- acquire the land for the substation
- make sure the electrical grid can handle the extra load (probably adding higher capacity wires to get to the substation
- ensure that all the bridges can handle the increased height (for example the Union Station shed is too low...I know not for this project but for future projects)

Plus of course Weston will complain about something...probably the magnetic fields that the wires will produce.

See the EA for the entire scope of the project
http://www.gotransit.com/electrification/en/project_history/default.aspx

I would assume that he meant the construction part of it. Of course the planning will take much longer. I would imagine that at least 3/4 items have been/are being addressed now.

Yeah, thanks, likely the best plan. And if I take the limo to the airport and then on return the weather is nasty we can still take the UPE back.

Back