Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Sure, if the board disagreed with management and agreed with the politicians above them that slashing price was the only approach then the issue becomes the Board's confidence in management.

The current Board was painted into a corner. Whether it was their own doing, or the politics, is something for a good book.

I was actually surprised how quickly this has come to the boil. I would have expected the 'stay the course' vote to hold in a little longer. Clearly someone felt that the last two months' ridership couldn't be explained away or overlooked in the public's eye. I would love to know who authored Plan B, and when. Was it desperation, or was the Board backpedalling all along?

In the past, the ML Board clearly gave comfort to the premise that one could implement a premium transit product ahead of meeting the broader, more plebian needs that they are supposed to treat as Job #1. It would be hard for them to argue that they hadn't bought into that one. So they can't plead innocence. I guess they could argue that the Pam Am games deadline was forced on them, but there is little in the Board minutes or public statements to demonstrate any pushback to that.

At the same time, management energetically plumbed the 'premium service' mentality beyond prudence. When you see them boasting about earning international awards for a service that hasn't started operation yet, you know they are operating on a conceptual level and not a results level. That's foolhardy business strategy at its best.

It will be an interesting argument (I'm not suggesting that we will be privy to it) should ML jettison the leadership team for UP. Arguably, management faithfully executed a flawed strategy that the Board authored and stood behind. There must have been private discussions somewhere about the flaws. Who was on what team would make a good read.

- Paul

Last edited:
Screen shot 2016-02-23 at 6.38.27 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-23 at 6.38.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-23 at 6.38.27 PM.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 477
Any idea if the $2 surcharge for buying on the train is still happening?

Any idea if the $2 surcharge for buying on the train is still happening?
Unless the Metrolinx BOD approved that change today, it should remain the same as today.

Was planning on going to the meeting, but with the Ministry doing his thing, it would be rubber stamp by the BOD with them saying next to nothing.

Time the BOD start doing their job in public, not behind close doors or not saying anything at all.

The CEO needs to go and get one who willing to go out on the limb to say this is wrong when the Pols ideas will cost more and not do the job in the first place.

Unless the Metrolinx BOD approved that change today, it should remain the same as today.

Other things that were not seemingly on the agenda are being done though....like reducing the GO fares to match the announced fares for UP where GO fares ended up being higher.

bad (and slightly offensive) jokes aside.......at the presser today the confirmed the family day crowds were "close to 43k" it was also confirmed that "if ever train was full over the course of a 19.5 hour day it could carry about 17 thousand riders"......

....so even giving it away did not really/technically fill it ;)

bad (and slightly offensive) jokes aside.......at the presser today the confirmed the family day crowds were "close to 43k" it was also confirmed that "if ever train was full over the course of a 19.5 hour day it could carry about 17 thousand riders"......

....so even giving it away did not really/technically fill it ;)
That's because the children weren't riding trains between 5:30am and 9:30am, and between 9pm and 1am.

re: signage and better awareness - from today's board report:

QIj5UY0.png

Nice exterior design. I think having a dedicated entrance like this would really make way-finding a lot easier and create visibility for the service. But I guess the eventual goal is to convert UPX to GO RER so no need to further distinguish it from the rest of GO system.

Nice exterior design. I think having a dedicated entrance like this would really make way-finding a lot easier and create visibility for the service. But I guess the eventual goal is to convert UPX to GO RER so no need to further distinguish it from the rest of GO system.
Except a GO Train won't fit on the Pearson platforms for being too long.

Back