Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

The Denison Road underpass opened today, between Weston Road & Jane Street. The left turn arrow at the traffic lights from southbound Weston Road were still covered at this date.

The parking lots between Denison Road and Lawrence Avenue West are still being worked on, but looks like they will open soon. Don't know when, though.

What I would like to see is the difference in GHG emissions this thing produces vs the number of passengers who would drive /take a cab or bus.

Remember this was sold as not only a airport connector but also as a way to reduce GHG emissions. Wouldn't it be interesting to see if GHG emissions are rising due to these near empty trains running on diesel?
I did some googling and found this link:
http://www.cleantrain.ca
Haven't double-checked any numbers. According to it, the UPX at 2,500 riders/day is producing about 1/3 more CO2 emissions than if everyone just drove to the airport separately. That's not accounting for the modeshare that would take transit instead of a private car.

I did some googling and found this link:
http://www.cleantrain.ca
Haven't double-checked any numbers. According to it, the UPX at 2,500 riders/day is producing about 1/3 more CO2 emissions than if everyone just drove to the airport separately. That's not accounting for the modeshare that would take transit instead of a private car.

Ah yes, it's the Clean Train Coalition. I am not surprised that they came to that conclusion.

Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 11.35.03 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 11.35.03 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-03 at 11.35.03 AM.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 858
Though the numbers wouldn't surprise me.

At 2500 people per day using the train, you are running a lot of empty trains to maintain 15 minute service. Spewing GHG's while the line isn't being used, and while people still continue to drive would mean higher GHG's.

Fill up the trains, and you may see GHG emissions decrease, but until we have more people taking the train, and less people driving, it only makes sense that this won't be achieving the goals regarding reduction of emissions.

Would cutting back to 20-minute service hurt ridership much? (I think not).

It would cut emissions by 25%, instantly.

- Paul

that ad reminds me of the ones on the subway currently about converting to be a vegetarian. Some of them have a picture of a dog or cat along with cows, pigs, chickens and ask why love one but eat the other.
Well buckle up folks. Mike Sullivan was defeated in the federal election, he's got a lot more free time to make this stuff.

that ad reminds me of the ones on the subway currently about converting to be a vegetarian. Some of them have a picture of a dog or cat along with cows, pigs, chickens and ask why love one but eat the other.

Actually, the poster really had a profound affect on me. I really had a deep ponder and I said to myself, "you know what? They're right!" and I decided to eat my cat. Thanks for the advice poster! She was delicious!

Actually, the poster really had a profound affect on me. I really had a deep ponder and I said to myself, "you know what? They're right!" and I decided to eat my cat. Thanks for the advice poster! She was delicious!
The posters are indeed rather odd. I'm not sure those behind it really understand the audience. I know we should treat livestock more humanely - but many of the photos they post of cute cows and sheep, just make me hungry. I can't understand how one can't look at field full of lamb and start craving mint sauce.

And the one with the cute cow and cute puppy? They do eat dogs in some places; the only thing that makes me hesitate is that the report I get from those that have tried it is that cooked dog tastes rather like a wet dog smells - which really doesn't appeal to me. But those puppies perhaps are more tasty. Maybe I should jump on the UPX and fly somewhere to try and taste some tender puppies. Because really, my reaction on seeing that poster - is also to conclude that there's nothing wrong with eating dogs - or I suppose cats (though is there enough meat on them to be worth the bother?).

Maybe I should jump on the UPX and fly somewhere to try and taste some tender puppies.

I saw that. Nice job working UPX into the discussion.

Maybe UPX could offer you a 'raging carnivore' special fare (with Presto, of course). Or special event promotions - the Distillery District does well with its dog days, maybe people could fly their dogs to Toronto for the day, taking UPX to get downtown. And a 'meat eating layover' fare so riders can hop off at Bloor, take the new tunnel to Dundas West, grab a Big Mac, and get back on the next train.

Instead of a quiet car, just have a minute of silence as the trains pass the old Stockyards....

- Paul

I've seen those ad's. Makes me want to grab a black sharpie and write "Well some cultures do eat both!".

Weston UP station is really nice, too bad people aren't using it. It's also a shame that none of the GO stations, even the most important ones, have the same quality of architecture.

23319838279_9a9b99f3b6_h.jpg

23605327131_ee8c21db8a_h.jpg

23319836909_5306cdf93a_h.jpg

23059638504_7daf58964e_h.jpg

23579225952_8379ef152d_h.jpg

23661704486_973a6544d3_h.jpg

23319834499_31ade9708d_h.jpg

Back