Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Too bad GO can't work out a deal with them to provide big discounts on fares between Union/Bloor and Weston.

Hopefully over time some better options/fares will materialize. I agree there should be a better discount for the other stops along the line and perhaps it would be more widely used by locals and not just to/from Pearson.

Took the train this afternoon from Union to Pearson and back and overall it was a very nice experience. Of course there were lots of minor day-1 glitches. For example, on the trip out to Pearson there were no stop announcements, and on the return trip they had some difficulty lining up the train with the platform doors properly.

The views arriving from and departing the airport are quite spectacular.

Here's a link to some photos I took: https://flickr.com/photos/59903165@N00/sets/72157653739955478

June 6
Will post more on my trips later and the gremlins were doing a number on the trains. Other videos not on line yet.

Only saw 5 people get on the UPX before I went to Union and none after that. No one got off any trains during the time I was there. First time seeing the C car on the east end, not the west for the past month.
https://youtu.be/MqH47FDRCFQ
https://youtu.be/I5xjf-V-kPQ

My trip from Union to Hwy 27 broken down between stations and points
https://youtu.be/3h2xuuDnq5U
https://youtu.be/gH9Aoapz5do
https://youtu.be/NPQb9E06p5g

A-C-A arriving at Pearson Using the Elevating line.
https://youtu.be/oSmHjOWUqZw

My trip up the elevated section
[video]https://youtu.be/vw9QlzhkhZE[/video]

Think this will be successful. Don't see why some want it to fail. Now we need other options to the Airport such as the Crosstown and Finch LRT.

Which puts Weston way above most of the stations on the line for rail service.....not sure what point you are making.
The trains are already stopping there anyways. Why not let people around the area to use it as a fast route to Union? It's not about "fairness", but good use of existing resources.
I'm not sure why from your wording you seem to be against that.

The trains are already stopping there anyways. Why not let people around the area to use it as a fast route to Union? It's not about "fairness", but good use of existing resources.
I'm not sure why from your wording you seem to be against that.

nothing stopping them from using it as a fast route to Union.....in fact, my penny pinching, non transit enthusiast. wife made that very point (un prompted) yesterday on our return trip to Union when we stopped at Weston...she said "this area sure got a lot of transit infrastructure out of this train....are there any other neighbourhoods that have a fast train every 15 minutes to get downtown?"....made me smile.

nothing stopping them from using it as a fast route to Union.....in fact, my penny pinching, non transit enthusiast. wife made that very point (un prompted) yesterday on our return trip to Union when we stopped at Weston...she said "this area sure got a lot of transit infrastructure out of this train....are there any other neighbourhoods that have a fast train every 15 minutes to get downtown?"....made me smile.

It'll be interesting to see how many people use it for this purpose from Bloor and Weston. My guess is very few.

GO RER would be different.

It'll be interesting to see how many people use it for this purpose from Bloor and Weston. My guess is very few.

It will be a % of GO riders on the line who miss the last train and weigh changing to TTC or taking the UP....or people on the weekend going downtown and wanting convenience and saying "drive and park? longer ttc ride for $3? or direct train for $15" but at least they have the option.

GO RER would be different.

Yes it will...and, as discussed ad nauseum in this thread, it is a separate discussion and a separate item.....and, when it comes, Weston's transit options will grow further because it is, won't be, a choice between UP or ReR....they will have both.

The moving targets set by the protesters against this line have netted Weston a pretty good, and improving, transit menu if that was their goal (I was never convinced they really wanted to block this service from ever happening) then they have done a good job.

I doubt anyone in Weston can afford the $600/month to take this train from Weston to Union everyday.

Yes it will...and, as discussed ad nauseum in this thread, it is a separate discussion and a separate item.....and, when it comes, Weston's transit options will grow further because it is, won't be, a choice between UP or ReR....they will have both.
The moving targets set by the protesters against this line have netted Weston a pretty good, and improving, transit menu if that was their goal (I was never convinced they really wanted to block this service from ever happening) then they have done a good job.

I hope this is the outcome. (To continue the ad nauseum), since 2008 the GTS/UPX project has morphed - from a promise of an airport express link and improved GO service, to delivery of a really nice airport express link, a reduction in VIA and GO capacity, and a promise of improved GO service - with no timetable or end date specified, even after seven years' work.

Remember that if nothing changes, RER will make a left turn at Eglinton and head for Mississauga - while Weston, North Etobicoke, Malton, Bramalea and beyond will get nothing.

What the Weston vs UPX tale demonstrates is - the squeaky wheel does get greased. The challenge is now up to Etobicoke, Mississauga, Brampton to continue pressure on Metrolinx to finish the job. Otherwise we will move on to an RER debate that will benefit Scarboro, Markham, and Mississauga but not the Georgetown South area.

Having seen the finished product, I would declare some of my personal misgivings as dead issues. But one has to observe, $15 Weston to Toronto might attract one passenger an hour, whereas $7 Weston to Toronto might attract three passengers per hour. If revenue is the goal.......even I can do that math!

- Paul

Well I went on the UPX train yesterday and it was great. Really enjoyed traveling through the various neighborhoods. Saw that not everything is finished at the Weston and Bloor Stations yet and also some of the neighborhood road links and sound barriers still need quite a bit of work.

IMO this will be a great transportation service that many people will use, however, I think it will take a while for this to happen. It may cater to a certain demographic (higher incomes, tourists etc.) and as the word gets out the users will increase their usage of this service.

The ticket price that regular users will purchase is a bit high, however, seeing how it cuts through traffic and quickly gets you downtown or the airport I think its worth the price especially during rush hour traffic and the snails pace subway movement during peak travel times.

One thing that I brought to UPX customer service attention was that their is no washroom at the Pearson UPX station and only a certain train at a certain time has an on board washroom. If you want to use the washroom before boarding it is a 8-10 minute walk to the nearest washroom which is in the airport terminal 1 building. I timed it myself. Hopefully in the future a washroom can be added at the Pearson stop. A lot of people have weak bladders and the population is getting older. They can't easily walk 8-10 minutes to go to the washroom and then back again. I don't know how they could of missed this when they were designing the Pearson UPX stop.

What I really liked is that at the Union Station UPX stop you can you use the washroom and then grab a coffee and light snack at the station and then quickly board the train to go to Pearson. That is really cool. The seats inside the train were like airline seats (but very spacious) that have fold down tray holders that can easily be used for laptops (power outlets and free wifi available) or placing your coffee and snack on.

The on board ticket agents were very professional and helpful with any questions that you had and it really made you feel like you were flying with Air Canada or another major airline. Plenty of room for suitcases and other carry on luggage with spacious overhead bins.

It was a great experience and I thanked the UPX representatives there for the great service that they are providing to the public.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone in Weston can afford the $600/month to take this train from Weston to Union everyday.

Two things.....

First.....there really are two populations in Weston.....for simplicity (although the line is not this clear) south of the tracks are lower income people and north of the tracks are reasonably well to do population.....certainly the people I see boarding the GO train at Weston appear to be fairly comfortable in their lives...well dressed, carrying all the modern devices of life and the conversations you overhear tend to indicate pretty decent, professional, employment.

Second....no one in this conversation suggested that people can/will/should use it for use in commuting every day...it does, however, present very viable alternative to, say, a cab on a night when they went out for dinner/show/drinks after work....or if they were going downtown for an event on an evening or weekend.

Back