Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Hmm... I went half-way through the buying process to see what payment methods they take (why don't they put that information at the beginning?), and they take AmEx, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. No Interac Online, or other payment cards like UnionPay.
Seems reasonable ... though a shame it doesn't take Presto.

Seems reasonable ... though a shame it doesn't take Presto.

Wouldn't that be a bit redundant? A loaded Presto card is already a ticket for the train.....any time, any day, any station....just walk up and tap the card and away you go.

Is there anything online that takes Presto?
No.

Wouldn't that be a bit redundant? A loaded Presto card is already a ticket for the train.....any time, any day, any station....just walk up and tap the card and away you go.
In this case though (for a 3-hour return to Pearson) it's cheaper on-line than using Presto ... unless there's some undocumented savings similar to the almost-free 3-hour return fares using Presto on GO.

Last edited:
Maybe they could also integrate a ride on it with an incoming plane ticket to Pearson at a much lower rate.

I expect that integrating the ticketing process with airlines would bring a noticeable boost in ridership. The actual price probably isn't that noticeable given how expensive plane tickets are though.

Out of curiosity, I examined the Kingston to Pearson trip to see how the train compares other modes for people getting from eastern Ontario to the rest of the world.
Kingston - Pearson: Wednesday June 17 2015

Megabus: $58, ~3h30, 3x per day

VIA (Escape) + UPX (Presto): $66, ~2h55*, 14x per day
*2:15 VIA, 0:07 transfer, 0:08 avg wait, 0:25 UPX

Taxi/Car: $$$, 2h35 with no traffic (as if!)

Air Canada: $237, ~1h00 + security, 5x per day

So the train looks like a fairly competitive option that many people would probably choose if it were an option on online booking sites.

Last edited:
I expect that integrating the ticketing process with airlines would bring a noticeable boost in ridership. The actual price probably isn't that noticeable given how expensive plane tickets are though.

Out of curiosity, I examined the Kingston to Pearson trip to see how the train compares other modes for people getting from eastern Ontario to the rest of the world.
Kingston - Pearson: Wednesday June 17 2015

Megabus: $58, ~3h30, 3x per day

VIA (Escape) + UPX (Presto): $66, ~2h55*, 14x per day
*2:15 VIA, 0:07 transfer, 0:08 avg wait, 0:25 UPX

Taxi/Car: $$$, 2h35 with no traffic (as if!)

Air Canada: $237, ~1h00 + security, 5x per day

So the train looks like a fairly competitive option that many people would probably choose if it were an option on online booking sites.
That's interesting ... though I don't think there are 14 trains a day between Kingston and Toronto ... my gosh, there are 14 trains from Kingston that day. Kingston-Toronto must indeed be blessed with more trains than anywhere else in Canada. I think there's more than when I used to do that run frequently in the 1980s and 1990s.

And a direct bus from Kingston to Toronto? How long's that been around ... used to have to take the bus, and change to the Airport Bus at Royal York. Still, I expect I'd use Pearson Express and VIA if I was still doing that run. I could never abide being in a bus that long ... in all my years (1980s and 1990s) doing the Montreal-Toronto run regularly, I never once could bring myself to do the whole thing by bus - and seldom ever could bring myself to do Montreal-Kingston or Toronto-Kingston.

Last edited:
Just bought 2 tickets for myself and a friend to ride the train opening week sometime, thought I'd post them here in case anyone is curious as to what they look like. Most of my actual usage will of course be with Presto but Meet & Greet works well for this. The website is decent on my desktop, checked it out briefly on my iPhone and it's not as well-optimized for mobile as I'd like but it's usable enough.

First off we have my confirmation e-mail. Already a bug in their system, heh--the time given in the e-mail's body for my purchase is 9:52 PM EDT whereas I actually bought them at 5:52, as shown by Gmail's timestamp for the message...guess the clock they use for that field is actually set to UTC not UTC -4. Overall, this is a nice, simple confirmation e-mail.

upx1.png

Secondly we have one of the actual tickets. Amusingly the "Issued" time on the top right is also the correct 5:53 PM despite the e-mail having said 9:52. Overall, nice and simple as well--QR code on the right is clearly the main method for scanning it, I'm assuming the E-Ticket number in the centre is the actual information encoded in the QR code and that they could manually just type that number in if the code was un-scannable for whatever reason. Fare type, price, origin/destination, expiration/allowed uses (and fine print detailing same) are nice and clear. Good stuff.

upx2.png

Can't wait to ride! Probably going to go Sunday--I feel like Saturday will have bigger crowds and possibly press+Metrolink/Government folks. Then again, I might not be able to wait!

Attachments

• upx1.png
    upx1.png
    85 KB · Views: 670
  • upx2.png
    upx2.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 643
If you go in the morning, you can also take the GOtrain to Weston from Kingston, and transferring there. 1h50min GO + 2min transfer + 8min avg wait + 11min UPX = 2h11min. This can beat the car.

It also ends up much cheaper, too, at about 25-30 dollars total (give or take)

Was confused for a minute then realized that perhaps you have mixed up your Kingstons with your Kitcheners?

Noticed this in the "fine print":. No good for me, I live near the Weston Station. If I could board from there and return to there, I would have applied.
Just gab the airport bus for that nice free ride.

You got 2 tickets, so used one from the airport to Union and then from Union to Weston for your return trip.

You can wait until June 14 for a trip from Weston to the airport and back.

Got my 4 tickets for the 6th, but giving 2 to someone who wants to go for a ride.

You got 2 tickets, so used one from the airport to Union and then from Union to Weston for your return trip.
That's not how it works according to their terms. Each ticket is valid for a Union to Union trip via Pearson. The email comes with two tickets, which would allow two people to make that trip.

Please note:
-Each of these tickets are valid for one round-trip from Union Station to Toronto Pearson International Airport
-The tickets are valid only on June 6, 2015. They are valid all day - from 5:30 am until 1:30 am - and will expire at the end of service on June 6. They cannot be used on a future date.
-Each ticket has a unique barcode and cannot be duplicated or copied.
-These complimentary tickets cannot be sold or exchanged, and have no monetary value.
-All trips must start and end at Union Station. (The UP Express entrance is located on the Skywalk between Union Station's Great Hall and the CN Tower.) Boardings from Bloor, Weston and Toronto Pearson are not permitted.
-UP Express is a 25 minute trip each way. Trains run every 15 minutes.

Attachments

• UPExpress_FreeTicket_Confirmation_02-01.jpg
    UPExpress_FreeTicket_Confirmation_02-01.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 1,052

Back