Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

^ it still doesn't seem to show the expected opening date.
I have a trip coming up on May 8, wondering whether I would be able to take the UPx for the first time! Doesn't seem likely.

^ it still doesn't seem to show the expected opening date.
I have a trip coming up on May 8, wondering whether I would be able to take the UPx for the first time! Doesn't seem likely.
Presumably that's so that if testing shows an unexpected issue, they don't miss their deadline.

Late April would be my guess. You may be lucky!

I don't have the first clue how long it takes to test a new transit line, but based on some of the photos in this thread I'm wondering if it might be the construction rather than the test schedule that will be the critical piece that drives the opening date.

If, for the sake of argument, they plan to follow two weeks of overnight testing with two weeks of daytime testing and then they're done, that puts them ready to go May 1st-ish. But Bloor Station, for instance, looks more than six weeks away from completion, at least from my armchair vantage point.

The improved weather should speed the contractors up significantly and if they're willing to open their shiny new bauble with construction fencing and hoarding here and there then I'm sure it's quite doable --- presumably the GO platforms at Weston and Bloor can get punted to the back of the queue so the contractors can focus on the UP stuff (if they haven't been directed to already) and even on the exclusively UP infrastructure there are bits and pieces they could open without having ready on Day 1.

Perhaps the testing will take longer than four weeks and much of the above is moot, though.

But Bloor Station, for instance, looks more than six weeks away from completion, at least from my armchair vantage point.
Simple solution. Open line without Bloor or Weston. Pearson is ready. Union should be ready.

And the line is clearly close enough, or they wouldn't be running test trains every 15 minutes.

Its not like we don't, every day, run transit through and to stations where there is construction work underway.

In 4 - 6 weeks, both Bloor and Weston will be much further along than they are today.....if they are not quite 100% they will be close and should be able to be used.

Its not like we don't, every day, run transit through and to stations where there is construction work underway.

In 4 - 6 weeks, both Bloor and Weston will be much further along than they are today.....if they are not quite 100% they will be close and should be able to be used.
I have yet to see Bloor centre platform since it open, but the UPX platform was in place when I saw it on the Friday before it open. Weston UPX centre Platform was finish last fall.

Bloor East platform for UPX was still being work on and should be done now. Weston West platform for UPX should be done either the end of March or early April.

Both stations have no elevator to the centre platform nor the Bloor East Platform. Weston west platform use a ramp in place of an elevator to/from it.

The UPX platforms have handrail for the ramp to/from GO platform as well at the ends.

Work is being done as the GO/VIA trains pass the stations where riders are not in the way or (Platform close to the public). Once the last GO train leaves the station in the AM until 3 pm, construction crews take over all the platforms to do what they have to do on them.

I went by Bloor on the bike path this morning. There is still a fair bit of work being done on the cladding and roofing for the GO platforms. The new east side entrance had Presto machines in place so there must be some substantial progress in terms of power, telecom, etc. It still looked like it was weeks away from completion.

The bigger issue is that while the second track is pretty much done, the third track isn't in place from south of Bloor to the tunnel at West Toronto. Southwards from Bloor, the track is in place but hasn't been aligned or surfaced. A tamper and a broom machine were warming up as I walked by, so surfacing must be starting. All the intermediate signals south of the tunnel aren't turned on yet.

I gather there is a gap in the track at Weston also, due to having left a gap so construction equipment can access the platforms. It's certainly going to be challenging to test a full 15-minute headway operation without the platform construction being further along and more track in place.

- Paul

Bloor Mar 18 2015 2.jpg
Bloor Mar 18 2015.jpg

Attachments

• Bloor Mar 18 2015 2.jpg
    Bloor Mar 18 2015 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 936
  • Bloor Mar 18 2015.jpg
    Bloor Mar 18 2015.jpg
    987.1 KB · Views: 918
I am not aware of any gap in the track for Weston, unless it has to do with track 4 in the tunnel that needed special track. Lack of a gap after track 2 got moved in Dec was a bitch for the contractor at Lawrence Ave.

My understanding that special track work was to be done by the end of 2014. All the track work was in place in the Weston Station and connected to the tunnel track when I was up there a month ago, but not ready for service then.

There is 4 tracks in place from St Clair Ave to the Block Signal Bridge south of Jane St. From that signal bridge to Bramalea, its 3 tracks with various block crossover areas having 4 tracks. No idea if there is 4 tracks block crossover at 427, as there is no way to get a look at it at this time unless in the corridor.

I would say off hand, track 4 for Bloor should be in operation this month as there wasn't that much to be done when track 3 went live, other than wait tell the snow melt to place the ties and rail north of Dundas.

The flashing has been very slow on the Bloor station for some reason. The UPX Platform is next to the enclose area with GO platform north of it.

Still haven't install the new fencing south of Bloor St up to the Block signal bridge, yet it is south of it. Same as I saw it over a month ago.

Had my first visit to the new centre platform on Thursday and this is what I saw.

All bridge work over Bloor St completed with all lanes of traffic open as well the south sidewalk.

Ties being place between the Signal Bridge south of Bloor St to Bloor St for track 4.

Track 4 that was in the station area has been removed and not sure if it north of the station with crews working on it or a temporarily track that was removed when the shift took place in Feb. Not sure what they were doing to that 100 m plus section. Track 4 will not be in place for the end of March, but early April with the removal of the track. Track 4 in the station area was being dug out with the removal of the ballast as well the snow.

Taken back that the UPX platform is not finish for the centre and the east platform hasn't been touch since Dec or my visit in Feb.

Roof being place on the centre platform and this is preventing the the flashing being completed as well installing the skylight. Looks like a May completion date at this date.

Work still taking place for the new stair? on the west side of Galt #2 track.

Saw no sign of elevator work, but easy to miss when you don'y have a good view of it.

The tunnel walkway in raw form.

Sound barrier wall going up between Shoppers and Freshco as well part of the sport field for the school.

Will post photos when I have time.

The existing temporarily east platform has been touch at all nor the unfinished section of GO platform.

Between the hard winter and the subway mesh, it has set this project at least 3-4 months behind schedule.

Caught the 6 car GO train arriving at the station and odd looking. Only 3 riders got off the train and none got on. Only 6 of 12 cars are being open at the station until the work to the south is completed over the next few months.

Taken back that the UPX platform is not finish for the centre and the east platform hasn't been touch since Dec or my visit in Feb.
Do you think the UPX people have been reallocated to make some priorities (e.g. Union Station) happen quicker? Maybe they're planning to start running UPX to Pearson without everything ready at Bloor/Weston yet, and finish Bloor/Weston after the initial priority construction rush elsewhere is finished (and UPX operating initial revenue service)?

Do you think the UPX people have been reallocated to make some priorities (e.g. Union Station) happen quicker? Maybe they're planning to start running UPX to Pearson without everything ready at Bloor/Weston yet, and finish Bloor/Weston after the initial priority construction rush elsewhere is finished (and UPX operating initial revenue service)?
That only makes sense if the same contractors and subcontractors are involved in both projects.

2 different contractors.

Haven't been to Weston in a Month or so, and would say off hand it will be ready for UPX before Bloor if the elevator is install in the centre platform soon.

The west platform has to deal with the new bridge over Lawrence Ave that should start in April and it doesn't require an elevator.

Should note that Track 2 is out of service with piles of dirt on it at this time. One person did get on the train to Toronto.

Lot more up on site
16871677412_7a7318365e_b.jpg

16871682852_9946beecf9_b.jpg

16686737619_482e5bb8b4_b.jpg

16846984446_ef1ebc98ee_b.jpg

16685252748_bfcbed73c7_b.jpg

16665575127_333270f793_b.jpg

16686766219_abd25d1742_b.jpg

16871701822_632798b806_b.jpg

6 car GO Train
[video]https://youtu.be/otBMmqrXF2s[/video]

Back