Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

The testing is not for the cars per se, but rather the signal systems. The cars will be out for as long as they can do so without completely messing everything up.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

From Metrolinx:

Reopening of Old Weston/Junction Road Rail Crossing – Postponed Until Early December

We regret to inform the community that the Old Weston/Junction Road rail crossing will not reopen at the end of September as previously committed to the community. Instead we expect the crossing to open in early December. We apologize for the inconvenience.

At this time CP Rail is still installing the rail crossing signals and that work will not be completed until the end of October. Metrolinx will then need about one month to finish its construction in the area. Keeping the crossing closed will allow our work to be completed more quickly. The rail crossing also cannot open until it is safe to do so. We appreciate that we have made commitments before to reopen this crossing and again, apologize for this continuing delay. We are doing all we can to complete the work as fast as possible.

I guess the upside to the colour scheme and overall appearance of these trains is that visitors new to the city will look at them and assume we've had an airport express since the 70s.

Yeah, that is a truly unfortunate palette.

UP Express ‏@UPexpress 14m

Our 4 new #train cars arrived in Savannah, GA all covered UP. Next stop? Rochelle, IL for assembly. #trackthetrains pic.twitter.com/Tb3Q7j0bIQ

UP Express ‏@UPexpress 14m

Our 4 new #train cars arrived in Savannah, GA all covered UP. Next stop? Rochelle, IL for assembly. #trackthetrains pic.twitter.com/Tb3Q7j0bIQ

Looks like the middle sections?

By the way, new renderings of stations here:
http://www.upexpress.com/en/news/photos.aspx

Image1_Bloor.jpg

Attachments

• Image1_Bloor.jpg
    Image1_Bloor.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 1,516
No way the Bloor underpass can look that clean, I'll believe it when I see it.

I was there today and it was actually quite clean. A new coat of paint is being added over the concrete walls and rusty rail overpasses. But we'll see how long that will last. Eventually I would like to see a mural instead of a blank wall.

I guess the upside to the colour scheme and overall appearance of these trains is that visitors new to the city will look at them and assume we've had an airport express since the 70s.
Ha, good one.

But seriously - I don't mind the new livery so much - what bothers me more than anything is the look of it on GO trains where it's mixed with new and old - truly vomit inducing.

Sept 20 Update.

Bloor Station:
In the next week or so, the south side of Bloor St will be closed off as the north side is finish with the sidewalk open. New handrails are in place. The walls have been painted and tag at the east end.

A lot of glazing still missing.

Haft of the north haft new platform has had concrete pour over the snow melting system on the east side and the west side waiting to be done.

Track 4 & 5 area for the north end is ready for new track as they have received the mats and graded. Track 6 north of the station is also ready for new tracks.

New fare machine have been installed at Bloor current platform and looks like it solar power and hard to confirm it.

Rogers Rd:
Tracks have been place on all 4 bridges at Black Creek. New retaining wall going up south of Rogers Rd. Old style farm fencing going up between CP and CN south of Roger Rd.

Dennison Rd:
What can I say about the grade separation that I haven't said in the past. It will not be open until 2015.

This past Wednesday, they open a new temporary sidewalk on the north side at the future road level and close off the grade crossing. This will allow work to be done to get the 4 tracks into place. Only a quarter of the new high level south side sidewalk is built.

The Free BBQ was held for the residents with few residents in attendance. All the community staff were there including some of the project team and the big boss of the whole project on hand. Face paint and safety items for kids where on hand including coach car cutout. This will be the same for all the others events as noted Here post 4251

Weston Station:
The new centre platform is partly in service with the existing platform close and torn up for permanent one with snow melting. It went into service on July 28. Track 4 has been removed with a new track 2 in operation. By the looks of things, track 2 to 3 will be remove shortly with it been connected to track 2. Track 2 is ready for the cut in and up to the crossovers at Ray Ave.

New fare machine same as Bloor have been installed.

Steel work is up on most of the platform roof area, but no roof on them.

The platform for the UPX has finally been pour and looks odd.

Foundation grade beams of the new station have been pour with a small test wall section that will be the retaining platform wall.

They have built the foundation piers for the new bridge over Lawrence Ave

Weston Grade Separation:
They are building the retaining wall over the John St area and the last of the retaining walls to be done.

The roof slab between King and Church are at 2 different levels and being waterproof. I thought it was to be one level.

All the steel beams are in place for the roof at both ends of the tunnel.

I wouldn't be surprise to see the 4 tracks being install in Oct in place of Nov at the rate of this work. Trains could be using this new fly under earlier than plan for now.

The goal is to get all 4 tracks in place were possible now than trying to do it after UPX is up and running.

Will have a look at the rest of the north line either this week or next when I go for a car ride along that section. Will do a video of that trip if I can.

Last edited:

Back