Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Maybe UPX could issue "standby" passes. If no "business class" or "first-class" passenger fill up the UPX train, they can get on. At a reduced rate, of course. Wonder if those "last minute" organizations will get a hand into it for a "complete" vacation package.

Certainly would not help the workers (who seem to be the focus of all this fare kerfuffle)....how would that work "Hey boss, gonna be late....can't seem to get a spot on the train"?

I dont suppose Metrolinx can spec a more commuter friendly train when if it decides to replace the current ones during electrification can it?
A big issue in the whole price debate is with seats/train available vs potential demand and trying to make money off of it. Assuming the train length is limited to 3 cars is it possible that the seat layout be revised in the future so that more seats can be crammed over creature comforts or inward facing rows to allow for standing room? If they are going to get EMUs in the future they should consider ones with open gangways between cars so that they can fit more passengers over segregated cars they have now.

The trains they purchased convert to EMUs. Because the trains are going to the airport they are designed for luggage and longer distance travel at higher speed. For the same reason that GO buses aren't the same model as the TTC buses, the UP Express trains are not build like TTC subway trains. Frequent stop slower trains for commuters are focused on stand up room and seats with little room. GO buses, VIA trains, and UP Express are designed for faster trips, most people sitting, and luggage space. If the VIA derailments that have occurred happened with half the passengers standing how much more severe would things have been?

Not entirely true IMO
The Airport express in Rome travels much faster than what UPX will ever travel at yet the seat layout does accommodate the possibility for standees with open gangways standing room and still plenty of luggage space.
That being said the point Im trying to raise is that the layout should be adaptable for both ends. what UPX has right now is akin to seating on a coach bus, but I guess thats what you get since were still following traditional rail design vice European EMU design.

GO buses, VIA trains, and UP Express are designed for faster trips, most people sitting, and luggage space. If the VIA derailments that have occurred happened with half the passengers standing how much more severe would things have been?
Isn't the UP Express maximum speed 90 mph, compared to 93 mph on the existing GO equipment?

Why would you not be worried about so many people standing on the faster GO Trains?

UP Express seems very similar N'EX which goes to Narita and the competing Narita Skyliner. Leonardo Express started with sit down expectations but in 2011 switched to commuter equipment which handles 690 passengers but only has 280 seats. I would think that a commuter option should also be available at Malton GO with the airport people mover reaching there at some point combined with Eglinton LRT. UP Express just isn't designed for that.

Isn't the UP Express maximum speed 90 mph, compared to 93 mph on the existing GO equipment?

Why would you not be worried about so many people standing on the faster GO Trains?

Does GO run trains at 93mph in crush load conditions? Maybe it is a false concern. GO seems to operate with a goal of trying to seat everyone unlike the TTC, not to say that I haven't been on a GO bus or GO train with standees.

Does GO run trains at 93mph in crush load conditions? Maybe it is a false concern. GO seems to operate with a goal of trying to seat everyone unlike the TTC, not to say that I haven't been on a GO bus or GO train with standees.

I may get flamed for this, but does it really matter whether there are standees at 90mph? in a derailment at that speed the chances of survival for all occupants are low. Provided that the train does not exceed physical occupancy limits for safe travel and cornering I dont see a major difference.

I believe that only roughly 60% of their trains run without standees, their peak services almost always have standees. they say that they would prefer their trains to operate on an 80% non-standee model, but it doesn't happen.

That policy will likely change with GO RER.

There was a UPX train at Willowbrook this morning.

Not the train but the Strachan overpass from yesterday:

IMG_0734.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 853

Back