Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I think its only problem is the finishes: the cheap tile floor and white plaster walls on one side detract from its otherwise impressive truss arch. That could be changed. I think that the change from the glazed truss arch to a safe box seems like a decline in architectural sophistication. However, I wasn't too excited by the previous rendering of the station box entrance inserted into the arch because it looked disharmonious with the arch, so maybe this situation is a catch 22.

Catch 22. Nice spin, given that the original airport rail link was called "Blue 22".

The arch is the greatest feature of this space. Anyone remember the multiple banks of escalators on the west end that were later mostly replaced by stairs (with one up escalator)? In the early 90s, this space was hopping, now it's a brighter version of the Eaton Centre space between Canadian Tire/Mark's and the rest of the mall.

Catch 22. Nice spin, given that the original airport rail link was called "Blue 22".

The arch is the greatest feature of this space. Anyone remember the multiple banks of escalators on the west end that were later mostly replaced by stairs (with one up escalator)? In the early 90s, this space was hopping, now it's a brighter version of the Eaton Centre space between Canadian Tire/Mark's and the rest of the mall.

And if anything the fact that the wall was on the side that could potentially provide the better viewpoint. South facing over the railway tracks looking at the lake, CN Tower, Rogers Centre, and the developing South Core district. I always found the view to the North to be like I was looking at the backside of the buildings on Front St.

Opening up the south wall would be spectacular IMHO

Is there any chance of another crossing over the tracks as part of the redesign? Now that the Southcore buildings along the north side of Bremner are filling in it seems like another bridge might be well-used.

Is there any chance of another crossing over the tracks as part of the redesign? Now that the Southcore buildings along the north side of Bremner are filling in it seems like another bridge might be well-used.

A bridge over the tracks would be great but I would have loved to see the area below the tracks west of York (the York teamways occupy some of this space now) dug out and incorporated into the Union station dig down to create a bigger concourse below the tracks. Also could have opened up some of the space at York St.

If Metrolinx gave a damn about people along the UP Corridor they wouldn't even consider a loud polluting diesel train.

This has nothing to do with the noise of the tracks and it's effect on the residents but has everything to do with Metrolinx providing an excuse to defer electricifcation of the line for atleast another 25 years.

If Metrolinx gave a damn about people along the UP Corridor they wouldn't even consider a loud polluting diesel train.

This has nothing to do with the noise of the tracks and it's effect on the residents but has everything to do with Metrolinx providing an excuse to defer electricifcation of the line for atleast another 25 years.

Loud polluting diesel train? Srously?

Considering that metrolinx has funding for electrification on their 15 year "next wave" list of projects, I would say they have it planned for the near future. And to electrify it would be to delay it past the Pan Ams as the electrical infrastructure would take until 2017 or so to finish.

Boy!!, do you live where you should live in the first place??

Where you and others forced to live beside or near this corridor and if so who did the forcing of it?? When did dictatorship come into existent in Toronto or Ontario forcing people to live by highways, rail corridors and etc???

As far as I know, you and everyone made the choice to live by/near the rail corridor.

Since you/others aren't as old as the corridor, you have no right to bitch about what runs in the corridor at all, considering you/others made the choice to do so in the first place knowing these train ran there in the first place.

Since the choice was made to live by/near the corridor freely, you/others have the choice to accept it or move as well stop your bitching.

I agree the corridor should be electrify decades ago, but not every train will be electrify due to the far distance and cost that some trains have to travel. In Europe you will find DMU's running along electrify lines as they will be traveling in areas were there is no electrification in the first place.

It was made very clear at Thursday night meeting that only 30km out of the 40km for this corridor will have walls ""IF"" the community ""wants them"" in the first place. A number of the communities don't want them in the first place.

It was decided after the EA was approved to add more wall sooner and in places not plan for. Knowing the corridor as I do, 30km is too much since a lot of the residential area is not next to the corridor in the first place that will require walls in the first place. Even then, only half walls are needed in some of these areas. Don't support having the wall on the east side of the bike path as proposed, as it will become a safety issue if it happens, since people will become unseen at night using it.

How do you expect Metrolinx to built the electrification of lines if the government is not providing the funding to do so in the first place?? Unless there is money in the pot to pay for the electrification, it can't happen like you want it without taking funding away from other parts of the system as well not expanding or reducing service to do so.

Why wasn't there a push to electrification of this corridor during the days of steam locomotives and diesels when CN and CP had major yards on the waterfront before they relocated to where they are in the 60's/70's?? There were more trains in this corridor then compare to what there now or by 2020.

Never have or will support the rail express service to the airport, as it will be a money looser. I like to see all the so call "WORLD CLASS CITIES" promoted by Metrolinx that have this type of service, since I only saw a few of them with this service. At the same time, these cities had rail, tram, metro and bus service to the airport costing a fraction the rail fare for this express service.

That's the silliest thing I've ever read. I live near the Lakeshore East/Stouffville corridor. I wish they didn't give a damn about me either, and wanted to make my life miserable with additional train service.

Back