Toronto Union Park | 303.26m | 58s | Oxford Properties | Pelli Clarke Pelli

Demolish the entire site and build a new convention center on top of the railroad tracks, integrating it into the existing southern underground half of the convention center. The current northern part should be redeveloped into a plaza fronted by condo/office/hotel towers.

That's my fantasy.

Bring back Metro Centre! :)

20101118-metrocentre.jpg

The existing centre is an ugly, overbearing 80's throwback from an era when planning ignored how to properly meet the street in a pedestrian friendly manner. Take it down I say, or at the very least, completely re-do the side facing Front st.

I can't see anyone demo'ing this thing. There can't be much of a business case for rebuilding a pretty impressive and functional (and kinda fugly) convention centre just to build a prettier one. I'm wondering if Canada lands would try to ensure it doesn't get rezoned as part of the sale.

I can't see anyone demo'ing this thing. There can't be much of a business case for rebuilding a pretty impressive and functional (and kinda fugly) convention centre just to build a prettier one. I'm wondering if Canada lands would try to ensure it doesn't get rezoned as part of the sale.

+1 I agree with you. Although if they could expand it that's a different story. I can't say for sure but I believe this a very high perfoming convention center in terms of the revenue it brings in, anyone know for sure ?

It's fun to fantasize about alternative uses. The building is so large that anything done to it would have a grand impact.

The tracks out back are a big deal. One thing I would definitely like to see reworked is the Front Street Entrance and bridge to the CN Tower. The office building siding it is minor, and a heavy re-doing of this stretch would be doing the city a favour. The way John Street ends ingloriously in the sinkhole of a parking entrance is something of a letdown, too. It would cost a lot of dough, altering that, and replacing the Convention Centre's office building there with something much more beautiful and impressive. Heavy going, but it could generate a lot of it money back, as it is a key location.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone would be willing to include a reinstated link between Roundhouse Park and Union Station in a redevelopment of the south building.

from the Globe, via CTV....sold!

Oxford Properties to buy Toronto Convention Centre

Steve Ladurantaye - The Globe and Mail

Canada’s commercial real estate market continues to attract investors willing to outbid their rivals for stable assets, despite instability in global financial markets and uncertainty about the strength of the economic recovery.

Oxford Properties Group Inc. said Thursday it will buy the Metro Toronto Convention Centre complex from Canada Lands Company in a deal worth as much as $250-million. But it wasn’t the price that was surprising – it was the number of potential buyers who were willing to spend that much for the property.

“The depth of debt available was somewhat surprising given the macro-economic environment,” said John O’Bryan, vice-chairman of CB Richard Ellis, which helped market the properties.

“With the amount of liquidity that was present, we could have sold the asset several times over, which tells you investors still feel comfortable investing large blocks of capital into Canada,” he said.

The deal, which is to close in September, will see Oxford buy the north building of the convention centre, along with the nearby InterContinental Hotel and an office building occupied by Royal Bank of Canada and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. A covered parking garage with room for 1,200 vehicles is also part of the transaction.

The hotel and convention centre will continue to operate as usual, and Oxford said it has no immediate development plans for the site.

The convention complex was put on the market in the spring, and was marketed by CBRE and TD Securities Inc. Prospective buyers came from Canada and the United States, with many real estate investment trusts and private equity funds hoping to hive off certain buildings rather than buy the complete package.

Toronto has been a magnet for commercial property investors this year. In a quarterly survey just released, Chicago-based real estate brokerage Jones Lang LaSalle ranked the city as the third-most popular destination in the world for global investors with $2.7-billion in deals. New York was first with $6.3-billion, while London attracted $6-billion in investment.

With $5.1-billion in deals across the country, the quarter ended in June was the best for Canadian commercial real estate since the recession – activity tripled from the previous quarter.

“Funds are being more cautious with a focus on investing primarily at home and trusting experienced managers with their cross-border investments,” said Arthur de Haast, who is in charge of the international capital group at Jones Lang LaSalle.

The convention centre complex was developed by CN Real Estate in 1983, but transferred to the arm’s length federal agency, Canada Lands, when it was formed in 1995. The agency exists to dispose of surplus government properties, but it will hold properties for years before deciding the market is right to sell.

While Canada Lands has properties across the country, the Toronto complex was among its most high profile, behind only the CN Tower – the one property that vice-president of strategic acquisitions Gordon McIvor said is not for sale at any price.

“We felt it was a good time to put the convention centre on the market in the spring and we did see a wide range of bidders,” he said. “It’s an iconic asset that everyone knows about, and there aren’t too many properties like it anywhere in Canada. Every type of buyer was well represented.”

When Canada Lands sells a property, the money goes toward either buying new properties or financing development. Whatever is left at the end of each year is paid to the federal government as a special dividend. Last year, Canada Lands paid $8.5-million.

Oxford Properties is the real estate arm of Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System, which is active across the country as well as in London and New York. Oxford owns several high-profile buildings in downtown Toronto, including the Royal Bank Plaza and TD Canada Trust Tower. It also owns three development sites, and is considering building a new tower on one of them in the near future.

“This is good real estate that we plan to improve over time, though the plans aren’t quite there yet,” said Oxford chief executive officer Blake Hutcheson, who recently announced plans for $150-million office tower in downtown Vancouver. “This is a good income stream and a long-term hold, but we are also excited about owning almost a mile of downtown Toronto.”

edit: googling around, link to survey.....http://www.joneslanglasallesites.com/gcf/global-capital-markets-research/executive-summary

Last edited:
I hope that they do not redevelop the site into something other than a convention centre. The loss of such facilities would cause immense harm to the city.

Would be interesting to see if a future aquarium expansion could be combined with a redeveloped convention centre in some fashion. Certainly would make for a unique building / convention experience to blend the two.

Last edited:
I hope that they do not redevelop the site into something other than a convention centre. The loss of such facilities would cause immense harm to the city.

I'm fairly sure it makes money so there's probably not much incentive to do that, but a redevelopment i.e. redo the entire center (and expand possibly) along with more offices and condo(s) seems okay ?

Yes, do whatever you want with it. Just do not eliminate the convention centre elements. Do not knock it down and sell off the land in pieces for condos (see that Washington DC development above).

I really hope the new owners consider the possibilites of building over the tracks out back. (To repeat myself a bit here)

-The Tower badly needs a newly expanded, more open and noteworthy Front Street Entrance.
-The west end of the Convention Centre is awkard, architecturally drab and undistinguished.
-Simcoe Street could use a better terminus than a parking entrance.
-Building out over the tracks out back could allow any number of things to go in - a green roof and new linear park. Room for a new attraction - planetarium, museum, gallery - any number of things, plus retail. Room for new commercial or residential real estate.

The facade of the convention centre itself could use a tweak or two to make it more street friendly.

Back