Toronto U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | ?m | 1s | U of T | MVVA

Speaking of which, what is the status of the University Park project? The website has been dormant for a few years now, and aside from a very vague set of tweets by Jennifer Keesmat, there haven't been any updates on the project. Should it get its own thread in UT?

Speaking of which, what is the status of the University Park project? The website has been dormant for a few years now, and aside from a very vague set of tweets by Jennifer Keesmat, there haven't been any updates on the project. Should it get its own thread in UT?

It's being discussed in the University Avenue thread, here:

On the last page, to which I have linked, you have all the latest news.

1) U of T has committed to provide $15,000,000 in funding for the section next to campus

2) Two donors (notably Judy Matthews) have committed to provide up to the same to fund the Environmental Assessment for the project.

I was here, yesterday, July 19th, 2023, and I took some pics:

First, a couple bits of mostly complete landscaping in the north-west section of the circle:

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02171.jpg

Now into the front campus field area:

DSC02197.jpg

DSC02195.jpg

Now down the east side of the Circle, towards Gerstein. Starting with walkover the north-west vehicle access to the under-field parking:

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

Now over to Hart House Circle, which is starting to take shape:

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02183.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02187.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

Our final 3 take us to the south side of the circle, west side, first looking east across to Med Sci, then north across the face of Convocation Hall:

DSC02199.jpg

DSC02200.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

12 days later............

Pics taken August 16th, 2023:

(Quick note, I talked to the guys on site, and boy was it a busy site yesterday...... they have a target date for substantial completion of Sept 1st)

That will be challenging, but is within the realm possibility.

I believe they will manage to:

Complete the interlock on front campus/King's College Circle; complete the sodding of Front Campus, re-open the stairs/plaza at Med Sci.

I am less convinced that they will have the parking open and all of Hart House Circle complete, but those are not unreachable goals.

The sod will likely be fenced off for the month of September:

Now.... The pics:

DSC02402.jpg

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02406.jpg

For the above, I will note that the sprinklers on bare ground are not a waste; they are intentional. They serve two purposes, one is to make sure the ground is wet when the sod is laid, as this promotes root growth; the second, more important purpose here is dust-control and preventing all the new top soil blowing away in a breeze.

On we go:

DSC02409.jpg

DSC02410.jpg

DSC02411.jpg

DSC02412.jpg

DSC02413.jpg

DSC02414.jpg

DSC02415.jpg

DSC02417.jpg

DSC02425.jpg

DSC02428.jpg

DSC02430.jpg

Last edited:
Is it just the grass that's above the parking garage? I'd hate to see any mature trees or other pretty landscaping have to be ripped up in 20 years, if I'm still alive.

The grass wasn't there when I passed by - on Monday I think. I didn't take pictures because there was no notable progress from the last time I'd been in the area about a week before. Funny I was thinking I wouldn't be back until the end of the month so there would be something worth getting excited about, and now learning that the target completion date is Sep 1 ... I agree the parking garage is unlikely to be open then, but I'm looking forward to seeing substantial progress in the next 2 weeks.

Is it just the grass that's above the parking garage?

Correct, the trees around the edge all precede the garage, they aren't new; when the garage membrane needs to be redone, there will no reason to remove them, only the grass.

I'd hate to see any mature trees or other pretty landscaping have to be ripped up in 20 years, if I'm still alive.

You do know you're barely middle-aged right? You'll be checking in on it in 40 years, shh!

Last edited:
I wonder if the circle (front campus) will be fully opened on Tuesday when students return. Right now the stretch from Convocation Hall to Hart House Circle (south and east sides) is off limit except for a path from Hart House Circle to Gerstein Library.

I wonder if the circle (front campus) will be fully opened on Tuesday when students return. Right now the stretch from Convocation Hall to Hart House Circle (south and east sides) is off limit except for a path from Hart House Circle to Gerstein Library.
I visited yesterday morning, and pedestrians were indeed able to travel around the entire circumference of King's College Circle (wasn't true on Saturday morning). The entrance to MSB facing toward KCC was also opened, and you can now walk from the entrance on Queen's Park Crescent to King's College Circle through the renovated courtyard area. The south end of KCC and the east entrance to the underground parking lot (going west on Wellesley) still look very rough, so not sure that completion is imminent.

Back