Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto transit hires New York consulting firm for pay-as-you-go

June 7th, 2010

Andrew Moran

djlogo.gif

Read More: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/293064

##########################################

The Toronto Transit Commission will be giving KMA Group, a New York consulting firm, $1.3 million to look into the pay-as-you-go system for transit riders.There are a number of different methods to pay your fare to get onto a train, tram or a bus. 1) Pay $3 in coins, 2) bus ticket, 3) token, 4) day pass and 5) Metropass.According to the Toronto Star, the TTC will be spending approximately $1.3 million to look into a pay-as-you-go system, which would be a cashless structure where you tap your credit card onto an electronic card reader.

TTC Chairman Adam Giambrone will award the money to New York consulting firm, KMA group, operated by Paul Korczak who spoke at the TTC’s invitation in April. The firm will study the TTC’s fare system and its Presto fare card.The former Mayoral candidate stated that the smart card could work in collaboration with the new system, reports 680 News. If implemented, the credit card companies would be the ones who would handle the payments and not the TTC.

##########################################

SubwayCars.jpg

The TTC should no longer be acting alone on fare collection studies given that Presto will be implemented so soon. This study is pointless.

Having said that, this study is not likely to change my biggest beef with fares, which is that passes are still restricted to the 1st to 31st of the month, and Monday to Sunday for weekly passes. If the TTC could just fix that problem, I'd be happy. Meanwhile, hopefully Presto will eventually take care of cross boundary issues, otherwise that too would be a complete failure.

This study is pointless.

Not to mention expensive. $1.3 million to hire yet another consulting firm? For what? How difficult is it for the TTC to retrofit its token vending machines to accept Presto cards and dispense receipts. It's because of moves like these why the TTC has earned the notorious reputation it now has. Meanwhile both automated turnstiles at High Park Stn (Parkview Gdns entrance) have been out-of-commission for weeks now and no one's even thought to send a fare collector over there: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/fix...er-automated-ttc-turnstiles-not-so-convenient

Not to mention expensive. $1.3 million to hire yet another consulting firm? For what? How difficult is it for the TTC to retrofit its token vending machines to accept Presto cards and dispense receipts. It's because of moves like these why the TTC has earned the notorious reputation it now has. Meanwhile both automated turnstiles at High Park Stn (Parkview Gdns entrance) have been out-of-commission for weeks now and no one's even thought to send a fare collector over there: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/fix...er-automated-ttc-turnstiles-not-so-convenient

Actually, I was there sunday afternoon and the turnstile worked perfectly. Don't know when it was fixed (it's not a regular stop of mine)...but at least one of them (the one I used) works now.

The Seoul system instituted a stored value card called the Tmoney card. It has transformed into a stored value debit card system people can use to make purchases beyond subway. You can use it for phone calls, cabs, at convenience stores, vending machines, etc. It's an interesting idea for revenue generation for a transit system. But in Toronto with the all you can eat TTC pass, not many people would use it. The Seoul system is so cheap ($1 a ride) that you don't mind so much getting on/off. Wonder if the TTC ever did a cost analysis of having a stored value card, charging $1 ride, but then no transfer rights to a bus/street car. You get on a bus, you pay up another $1.

My understanding is that this system would use the PayPass feature found at Loblaws, Tim Hortons, etc. This would be a great feature for occaisional riders that do not use the system regularly. On average, I probably use the TTC about once or twice a month, and carry tokens in my wallet. If I could just tap my Mastercard, I could see myself using it instead of buying tokens in bulk - ad the TTC would be collecting $3.00 from me per ride rather than $2.50.

Still, PayPass could be implemented system wide for $1.3 million. Spending that for "consulting" is asinine! Just another screw up to add to Giambrone's record I suppose.

Really? How do you estimate that ... that's far less than any other system has spent implementing.

Sorry, it is too late for me to find out how much Petro Canada, McDonnald's, Loblaws, Tim Hortons, etc. spent implementing their systems nationwide. If you can find some numbers for me, I'll admit I was wrong.

Sorry, it is too late for me to find out how much Petro Canada, McDonnald's, Loblaws, Tim Hortons, etc. spent implementing their systems nationwide. If you can find some numbers for me, I'll admit I was wrong.
I meant other transit systems. I'd think that it would be a lot cheaper to implement in a store that has electricity and internet.

I meant other transit systems. I'd think that it would be a lot cheaper to implement in a store that has electricity and internet.

It would not surprise me because having pre-existing infrastructure and physical plant already in place for this sort of thing does tend to make it easier and cheaper to do.

I personally don't give a crap about PRESTO and if the province won't fork over the cash to retrofit it into existing stations they can stop complaining and take a hike. I'm far more interested in getting something that will let me use these new smart cards that my banks have been mailing to me over the past couple of months. This would probably benefit more people too.

One of the primary costs to the TTC for any electronic payment system is upgrading their network from whatever was installed when the station was built. This is expensive because in many stations there is no real data network and installing one can require asbestos removal.

This is the exact same reason some stations do not have the new video screens.

One of the primary costs to the TTC for any electronic payment system is upgrading their network from whatever was installed when the station was built. This is expensive because in many stations there is no real data network and installing one can require asbestos removal.
Fair enough for the 69 stations (7 of which already have Presto in, with 5 more on the way).

But isn't the real cost in the over 2,000 surface vehicles?

Back