Toronto Toronto Island Park Master Plan | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Interesting idea to upzone Ward’s Island! One could even propose new infill islands to the south of The Islands as a way to allow development dense enough to defray some infrastructure costs. As well it is theoretically possible to build an airport in the Lake south of the Island and redevelop The Airport Lands. What would they do in Copenhagen?! 🇩🇰🛫🏙️

This, of course, will make some people’s heads explode! 🤯

Last edited:
I'm sure that I've seen an old article somewhere that showed plans from the 1920's to build a streetcar tunnel under the western gap, work had almost started too

Interesting idea to upzone Ward’s Island! One could even propose new infill islands to the south of The Islands as a way to allow development dense enough to defray some infrastructure costs. As well it is theoretically possible to build an airport in the Lake south of the Island and redevelop The Airport Lands. What would they do in Copenhagen?! 🇩🇰🛫🏙️

This, of course, will make some people’s heads explode! 🤯

Not sure on the feasibility of this. Lake Ontario gets quite deep just past the point of Leslie St Spit. This would also require flood proofing the islands if significant infrastructure is to be built there.

1722280195811.png

^Thanks! I do see shallow water just to the southeast of The Island. I wonder how much land could be squeezed there? Anyone have contacts at the Dutch Land Reclamation Office?! 🇳🇱🌷

Not sure on the feasibility of this. Lake Ontario gets quite deep just past the point of Leslie St Spit.
Wouldn't you build at the Eastern Gap instead of off the Leslie Street spit? It can't be very deep at the Eastern Gap, as that used to be land until it got washed out in a storm. And now of course it's dredged.

Back