Toronto Toronto House | 186.53m | 58s | Westbank | Hariri Pontarini

If only this side walk material was used as the standard in Toronto. It alone would make the city 10 fold more attractive
When I last visited Downtown Vancouver, I noticed they use material like this for most sidewalks and it does look way better. The only issue I found was it was really annoying to pull a suitcase over due to how bumpy it is, but unless you're doing that all the time, it's fine.

When I last visited Downtown Vancouver, I noticed they use material like this for most sidewalks and it does look way better. The only issue I found was it was really annoying to pull a suitcase over due to how bumpy it is, but unless you're doing that all the time, it's fine.
I have a big issue with poured concrete sidewalks. Aside from the obvious one, that they are soon dug up by the city for utility work and then just patched with asphalt, over time they become cracked and chipped and in general, even if they somehow miraculously don't get dug up, just look plain awful. I think the city with the best sidewalks is Berlin. Theirs consist of laid large stone or concrete pavers, often laid in a diamond pattern and flanked on both sides by a narrower strip of small cobblestones. Aside from adding great visual interest and texture to the streetscape, the fact that they are laid, rather than poured, means that they can simply be reset after the inevitable utility work takes place, and as a bonus, they look better the older they get! Of course, you don't have to go all the way to Berlin to see great sidewalks...just take a look at the stone pavers along Bloor's 'Mink Mile'! I'm sure the city would say that we couldn't afford this here, but they're also the same ones willing to spend upwards of $600,000 to rename Dundas Square!

Back