Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Not only are you just pie-in-the-face, har-har, *wrong,* you've embarrassingly forgotten what 'garish' means.

I initially wrote that the building pictured was garish (disagree?), but I preferred it to the depressing Sheraton Centre. Writing being an organic process, I mutated my post a few times before I hit 'submit' and obviously (or better yet, embarrassingly) didn't edit out the offending adjective.

Also, calling an opinion "wrong" is categorically incorrect.

Not only are you just pie-in-the-face, har-har, *wrong,* you've embarrassingly forgotten what 'garish' means.

How is he wrong? It's his opinion. You guys are such snobs. Just because you and many other forumers think this building is ugly that doesn't make it a fact. Good luck proving it. You know, people think differently, that's what makes them interesting.

I realize the Sheraton Centre is what it is, and it purportedly gives important context to Toronto's history and growth, but my god, it's garish and depressing in a way that this building simply isn't.

I think the word you're looking for in place of 'garish' is 'austere'.

Don't agree with most of what Earth Heals Herself has said, but I really don't agree with the way some people behave on this forum - with the quick dismissals and belittling. It's quite mean-spirited and immature.

Sheriton Centre is a messy argument, as it is a case of hit and miss in its original design, as well as suffering from unsympathetic "upgrades" from its current owners. Its main offense is that it meets the street for %^& (especially on Queen, where it should have offered more of a public square to match NPS).

The original basic idea of expanding City Hall & NPS south to include hotel, retail, bars, restaurants & theatres (including a bridge tied to the elevated walkways of NPS) was a great idea. And the basic architecture/design certainly relates to City Hall/NPS. But because they made some mistakes in execution, the public never quite caught on. Sadly, the theatres are no longer in use, and the retail is pathetic. The only thing that keeps it going is its attachment to PATH, and whatever patronage hotel guests may bring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yes there is. And you don't seem to have it.

No there isn't. End of discussion.

"Suggesting that New City Hall would look better w/reflective glass is like suggesting that the Sheraton Centre would look better w/this kind of facade treatment"

The fact that you would suggest that the Sheraton Centre looks better than the building you posted shows your lack of taste. But then again looks are purely subjective.

You both need to grow up and not personnally attack someone for their opinion.

No there isn't. End of discussion.

"Suggesting that New City Hall would look better w/reflective glass is like suggesting that the Sheraton Centre would look better w/this kind of facade treatment"

The fact that you would suggest that the Sheraton Centre looks better than the building you posted shows your lack of taste. But then again looks are purely subjective.

You both need to grow up and not personnally attack someone for their opinion.

It's people like them that make the rest of Canada hate Torontonians. They think we're all equally as snotty.

Taste is subjective. To someone that building posted above could be gorgeous even if the execution is poorly done.

"Good taste" is a horrible thing - subjective, perhaps, but also tied to changes in fashion, and a slave to received opinions of what is proper. Far better to stick to ideas of good design and the ability to recognize the aesthetic punch of what is there when you see it.

"Good taste" is a horrible thing - subjective, perhaps, but also tied to changes in fashion, and a slave to received opinions of what is proper. Far better to stick to ideas of good design and the ability to recognize the aesthetic punch of what is there when you see it.

I think I know what you're getting at, but 'ideas of good design' aren't necessarily immune to criticism, or the onslaugt of time and the ever-morphing idea of what's fashionable. I'm curious to know what the reaction would be if a building like the Sheraton Centre or a pedestrian bridge like the one that connects it to NPS were proposed and built today. Would anyone rejoice? Would anyone be excited? I would venture that most here would protest. Still, I'm excited to see how changes to this square will buffer the effects of some truly oppressive neighbours.

Last edited:

Back