Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Grand-Slam: no, there's been no formalization of an UrbanToronto Good Urban Design group, but we do urge people to go to public consultations and committee and council meetings to speak their minds. The politicians need to know we care. Other citizens at these meetings need to know we care, as it may inspire them to pay more attention too. It's at those meetings where policy is influenced and decisions are made. We do have members who show up and speak up, but it's always good to add more to that number. I'm not convinced that it requires a formal organization to foster the kind of change we are talking of, but put the right people in charge, and my mind could be swayed.

Well said. I'd also like to add that members (and lurkers) be sure to learn about who is running for the Council seat in your Ward, which Mayoral candidate you think would best move the city forward and then get out and be an informed voter this October. Further, stay in the loop with your Councillor with civic matters on anything from jets at Billy Bishop, street furniture, hydro poles, good architecture, policing - anything that moves you. Learn who to copy in your written communications too, such as the Planner and Councillors who sit on Executive Committees. Get involved, speak your mind - I can tell you it can truly affect change - unless your in Doug Ford's Ward, but he'll be gone soon. ;)

Well said. I'd also like to add that members (and lurkers) be sure to learn about who is running for the Council seat in your Ward, which Mayoral candidate you think would best move the city forward and then get out and be an informed voter this October. Further, stay in the loop with your Councillor with civic matters on anything from jets at Billy Bishop, street furniture, hydro poles, good architecture, policing - anything that moves you. Learn who to copy in your written communications too, such as the Planner and Councillors who sit on Executive Committees. Get involved, speak your mind - I can tell you it can truly affect change - unless your in Doug Ford's Ward, but he'll be gone soon. ;)
It is also good to get involved with your local neighbourhood association as these groups are usually consulted about plans - frequently long before they become firm - and are often where the members of local 'construction liaison committees' come from.

What's the point of the new permanent stage if we keep putting up temp stages for events?

Oc60Bxu.jpg

I don't get it.

The large tent and temporary stage are normally used by the Jazz Festival – with the space being taken over Friday night for the World Pride opening concert. I saw some news coverage and it looked like Deborah Cox was performing on a stage near the fountains (?), so I gather they were using multiple stages. I imagine the Jazz Festival likes to have the large tent in the middle of Nathan Phillips Square as it allows them to offer performances without worrying about rain.

Was anyone there? Was the permanent stage used for anything?

Some video from the event from Xtra. Olivia Chow, John Tory, Kathleen Wynne and Kristyn Wong-Tam all appear in the video.

Last edited:
Have you seen any concerts or events on that new stage? I like that stage as a sculpture but it doesn't work well for shows and let's face it, a big part of any show is the presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
They tend to have a lot of smaller concernts there Ifind.

What is going on Queen ! There's been 0 progress in forever, isn't this whole thing suppose to be done by 2015 ?

Progress is actually proceeding at a good pace now. A lot of the West side of the Queen Street forecourt has had the precast floor tiles installed.

IMG_2278.jpg

It looks like they'll soon be able to remove the fencing and move on to the centre section. This will see the demolition of the vent and parking entrance both of which have turned out to be poor decision from a pedestrian traffic perspective. I can't wait for the vent to be gone to allow for more organic traffic in and out of the square from Queen St.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
And yet while we complain about Toronto being so Torontonian in its expression of public space, design, and architecture; we ourselves behave as typical Torontonians - complain privately and quietly wait for government, business, or some other parental figure to determine what's good for us.

I’ve been coming to this site for a couple years, mostly passively observing, and I’ve long wondered why a group of people who are so clearly passionate about good design and their city has not given rise to a more formal organization. While that last few years have certainly seen an increase in friends-of-parks and neighbourhood resident associations, and greater involvement of the BIA, where are Toronto’s better public space and architecture citizen-lead advocacy groups? I have family in New York City and in visiting, I’ve always been stuck by how much more involved and engaged it’s citizens are in the building of the city. A world class city isn’t defined simply be things. It’s also a reflection of the people who live there. If we want a world class city, we have to be world class.

Perhaps I’m wrong. Perhaps there is an organization which has evolved from this site…But you’re certainly being quiet if you are out there . Perhaps there was and for some reason it failed? And I do realize I’m part of the problem I’m describing – what have I done? Fair enough. I guess I feel a certain level of embarrassment in stepping into that realm…What do I know? I don’t have education or experience in the field. But that of course is the Torontonian in me, I suppose.

Sorry, this is probably a thread in itself, but it’s been on my mind lately and this seemed the right moment in this conversation to say something.

Those are some good points, but I'd say there's a fair bit of public participation in city development. The Waterfront Regeneration is a great example - the process involved fairly significant public consultation and from what I recall (especially at the meetings I attended) citizens were very engaged.

One of the issues I've found is that Toronto, to some degree, still has a very working class mindset when it comes to public spending. Beautification projects and good design are seen as a waste (or 'gravy'). Don't get me wrong, a lot of people in this group may complain that Toronto isn't 'world class' or as beautiful as other cities they've visited, but what they don't seem to realize is that many if not most of those cities invest far more in the public realm.

Hopefully we can reach the point where beautiful public spaces are seen as a worthwhile investment by the vast majority of citizens.

Something I've noticed thinking back and looking at the Queen St. forecourt as it's being built is that the City Hall district concept seems to have been killed. They're installing pretty generic floor tiles, nothing like the striped design pattern that was in the rendering and was being planned to extend to Old City Hall and other parts around Queen & Bay.

urbantoronto-2205-6358.jpg

Progress is actually proceeding at a good pace now. A lot of the West side of the Queen Street forecourt has had the precast floor tiles installed.

Something I've noticed thinking back and looking at the Queen St. forecourt as it's being built is that the City Hall district concept seems to have been killed. They're installing pretty generic floor tiles, nothing like the striped design pattern that was in the rendering and was being planned to extend to Old City Hall and other parts around Queen & Bay.

It is still very nice - the floor tiles definitely exceeded my expectations. Don't mind the toning down of the texture and having it compliment the pavers at the actual square - and this can still be extended to the precinct in the future - the need to figure out the precinct plan first.

AoD

Last edited:
Very nice - the floor tiles definitely exceeded my expectations.

AoD

Maybe it'll grow on me, but in person it doesn't look much different than poured concrete. It would have been nice to pixelate it with alternating dark and light tiles, something distinct that could have then been ported over to Old City Hall, Osgoode Hall and maybe the Sheraton and Four Seasons Centre.

As work continues on the Queen Street forecourt and the new Peace Garden appears to be nearing completion, my attention turned to the walkways. Then it occurred to me: this could be our little version of New York's High Line! Now, that may appear like hyperbole until we start drawing comparisons:

3zfdkPZ.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/dYWpni

npspai_walkway_6.jpg

iJxOwkW.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/am9GqU

illustration-of-new-theatre-stage-at-Nathan-Phillips-Square.jpg

Of course Nathan Phillips Square's walkways are in no way on the scale of the High Line, but their use and aesthetics could very well turn them into a gem like New York's.

Last edited:

Back