Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

The density is not that excessive imo, but the parts fronting Princess and Sherbourne are too overpowering. Not only are those sides very tall but also very wide. Breaking down the bulk into narrower buildings like on the Esplanade and Front frontages, or breaking it down in some other manner would help. So would turning those slab towers into more slender towers. A small podium in a different material (brick?) with at least small stepbacks along Sherbourne and Princess would help too. The fact that it's denser than the rest of the neighbourhood doesn't have to be a problem, as long as the block stands out rather than sticking out.

Yes, it is really close to the WORST design I have seen in recent years - some proposals would look good in a different location (60 Colborne as an example) but this is just dense and bulky, as far as one can tell from the rendering, squeezed right up to the property line. Ugh!

That's exactly what's so good and refreshing about this proposal: It's old fashioned blunt urbanity, efficiently making the most out of the property, avoiding the "tower in the park" island-of-podium mentality of leaving an alienating gap between the building and the sidewalk. I love how it fully meets the street and provides a street wall all around the block. Density is wonderful.

That's exactly what's so good and refreshing about this proposal: It's old fashioned blunt urbanity, efficiently making the most out of the property, avoiding the "tower in the park" island-of-podium mentality of leaving an alienating gap between the building and the sidewalk. I love how it fully meets the street and provides a street wall all around the block. Density is wonderful.

Clearly we disagree - are you aware that they are proposing to build 1663 Units, 1100 of them one-bedroom. This is extreme density so I guess you are happy. One of the strengths of the St Lawrence Neighbourhood is the mix of people in the area, adding so many one bedroom units will certainly change things as most will be bought by investors and occupied by transient tenants.

I decide to name this condo "Memory Chips" since the achitect was obviously inspired by the inside of a computer.

I spent some time looking at then renderings and I find it over the top. Way to much for any block let alone this one.

Clearly we disagree - are you aware that they are proposing to build 1663 Units, 1100 of them one-bedroom. This is extreme density so I guess you are happy. One of the strengths of the St Lawrence Neighbourhood is the mix of people in the area, adding so many one bedroom units will certainly change things as most will be bought by investors and occupied by transient tenants.

Won't an influx of smaller units in an area which has predominantly larger units only serve to further mix the already complex urban stew you so treasure (and rightly so)?

Won't an influx of smaller units in an area which has predominantly larger units only serve to further mix the already complex urban stew you so treasure (and rightly so)?
There are already many smaller Units (esp. on the Esplanade) and I doubt anyone objects to more but the numbers (and %s) being proposed will really create 'ghettos' and are creating whole buildings of small units. Two of the hopes from the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association (see their Guidelines at www.slna.ca) are:

* encourage the provision of some rental residential buildings along with condominiums and particularly favour projects that offer both subsidized and non-subsidized units.
* encourage the inclusion of some family-sized units in every residential development as well as the provision of child-friendly amenity spaces.

Absolutely not, since the area is already filled with many tiny, newer units, and this inevitably is going to continue project by project.

Absolutely not, since the area is already filled with many tiny, newer units, and this inevitably is going to continue project by project.

Will the Urban Fresh remain?

Will the Urban Fresh remain?
Firstly, Pemberton have gone back to the drawing board on the building plans they submitted so I doubt anyone really knows what will finally appea or when it will appear. Secondly, the Sobeys is not doing well (they have recently gone from 24-hours to 7-midnight and the place is always pretty empty.) I think they might be quite pleased to be allowed to cancel their 5 (or 7?) year lease and walk away so even if the new building has space for a large retail tenant they may well not be interested.

Firstly, Pemberton have gone back to the drawing board on the building plans they submitted so I doubt anyone really knows what will finally appea or when it will appear. Secondly, the Sobeys is not doing well (they have recently gone from 24-hours to 7-midnight and the place is always pretty empty.) I think they might be quite pleased to be allowed to cancel their 5 (or 7?) year lease and walk away so even if the new building has space for a large retail tenant they may well not be interested.

I agree, if they are given an out, then they may will take it. The latest project documents suggest that they are proposing just over 70K sf for retail over three levels. Perhaps an independent grocer may take a run at this redevelopment, taking a smaller space and finding a niche for themselves.

Secondly, the Sobeys is not doing well (they have recently gone from 24-hours to 7-midnight and the place is always pretty empty.) I think they might be quite pleased to be allowed to cancel their 5 (or 7?) year lease and walk away so even if the new building has space for a large retail tenant they may well not be interested.

Here is my post from 2 years ago, posted even before No Frills opened:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...E-First-Gulf-6-16-24s-DS)?p=463963#post463963

My prediction is that within five years of No Frills opening, the Front and Princess Sobeys will go under.

(But I hope that's not the case)..

In later posts I went on further detail to describe why i thought so.

Again, I certainly still hope I am wrong, as having local vibrant retail choice is always good.

Back