Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

One can't legislate taste and we might not like the result if we could. They build what people buy. The only way we'll get better design is if the public demand it and are willing to pay for it.

One can't legislate taste and we might not like the result if we could. They build what people buy. The only way we'll get better design is if the public demand it and are willing to pay for it.

Is it though? People buy it because it is what's available on our market - and no one is suggesting we clad this thing in gold either.

AoD

BAA43945-ABB8-4629-9E99-42CFEDD37159.jpeg

Spoken like a true condo investor. You really think buildings should be built with the absolute lowest quality finishes that meet safety standards with no consideration of aesthetics? I know I wouldn't want to live in a cheap and ugly building. Having to look at the hideous grey spandrel wall at street level every time I come and go would definitely impact my happiness and quality of life.
My nightmare if the building where I own an apparent is given a landmark status.

There are good landmarks and bad!
The point was mostly that for any sneeze in the building, a permission from the city will be needed. Working for a landmark must be a lawyer’s dream, pushing piles of paper around. A good thing, that Time and Space according to this forum has a slim chance to make it to this status 😊

The point was mostly that for any sneeze in the building, a permission from the city will be needed. Working for a landmark must be a lawyer’s dream, pushing piles of paper around. A good thing, that Time and Space according to this forum has a slim chance to make it to this status 😊
You are, I think, talking of a building being Listed or Designated under the Heritage Act. This POS is unlikely to have to worry!

They make sure there are no bubbles in the concrete and that it is smooth and well compacted. Don't let your youngster get too confused by the many kinds of vibrators there are!

Vibrators are used to settle and compact concrete during pours or as concrete is being finished. The goal is to shake the wet concrete and eliminate air pockets so that the slab or foundation becomes more solid. There are four basic types of concrete vibrators:

• Internal (also called needle or poker): includes a vibrating probe that is immersed in the wet concrete
  • Form: attaches to the outside of the concrete form to create vibrations that eliminate voids along the edges of the form
  • Surface: attaches to a screed to vibrate the concrete surface during screeding
  • Table: has a vibrating metal table for vibrating concrete inside a mold
concrete.jpg

They make sure there are no bubbles in the concrete and that it is smooth and well compacted. Don't let your youngster get too confused by the many kinds of vibrators there are!

Thanks! That explains the sound. I just used my binoculars to see someone using what I imagine is an internal one in a wall they are pouring in the southwest tower. Which sadly is now right at the level of my balcony.

Vibrators are used to settle and compact concrete during pours or as concrete is being finished. The goal is to shake the wet concrete and eliminate air pockets so that the slab or foundation becomes more solid. There are four basic types of concrete vibrators:

• Internal (also called needle or poker): includes a vibrating probe that is immersed in the wet concrete
  • Form: attaches to the outside of the concrete form to create vibrations that eliminate voids along the edges of the form
  • Surface: attaches to a screed to vibrate the concrete surface during screeding
  • Table: has a vibrating metal table for vibrating concrete inside a mold
View attachment 324869
That is a power trowel, not a Vibrator!

A power trowel (also known as a "power float" and "troweling machine") is a piece of light construction equipment to apply a smooth finish to concrete slabs. There are two types of power trowels, ride-on power trowels and walk-behind power trowels.

The information on this website (Item 16) is wrong:https://www.thebalancesmb.com/concrete-contractor-tools-844980

Back