Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

People deserve nice places to live with good design and in an affordable manner. This building mostly demonstrates the opposite of that barring last minute radical changes. So I am sorry we can't agree to that.
It is big and imposing, but are the apartments inside any different than any other new build apartment these days? They are surely more comfortable for the inhabitants than all the 1970s buildings that surround it.

I didn’t realize how jarring the black and white juxtapositioning was going to be. Went back and noticed the drawings were taken from the opposite side

12F73BBC-1B76-48CD-931B-A2C07195EBD0.jpeg

It is big and imposing, but are the apartments inside any different than any other new build apartment these days? They are surely more comfortable for the inhabitants than all the 1970s buildings that surround it.
Not sure that is so. The surrounding buildings generally date from the early 1980s and most are very well built regarding sound and thermal insulation etc. I also suspect, but am not sure, that most (with similar number of bedrooms) are larger than the equivalents today. One thing that is clear is that (even unfinished) T & S cuts off sunlight to its neighbours.

Perhaps...

...but dailing this back a bit, sometimes in the anecdote I use Google Street View to "drive" around cities such as Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Bristol or Berlin for example. While I'm sure there are hits and misses like any other good city, but I am constantly reminded how much things could of been better for our city regarding housing and design with a bit more inspiration and imagination. Settling for mediocre instead because it's viewed as an upgrade shouldn't be something we roll over, lay dead and buy, IMO.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting that this building is going to have two absolute slabs on the North end. Pain.

What in God's name were they thinking? That last photo shows an elevation that is a straightforward and relatively inoffensive but comes down to detailing and materials. If it were SSG glass without clunky mullions, if it used shadow boxes in place of backpainted spandrel glass, and if the dark grey/black aluminum panels didn't have big panel gaps and inevitably oil-can within a few weeks of their installation, I'd say the motif works. If that wasn't in the budget (lol developers) then another architectural approach should be taken.

Even without a mind-blowing design, the right materials would have made this at least passable and I could look the other way. But this is really bad and it didn't have to be that way. The most ill-considered part of the execution is that ridiculous spandrel glass. Even if you squint you can only just see the motif of the solid aluminum panels. The entire facade motif visually recedes and all that is perceived by the eye is that vast mess of spandrel panels.

For reference, here is the decently attractive (or at least inoffensive) idea beneath all that poor execution / detailing / budgetary constraints:

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 6.23.46 PM.png

Last edited:

Back