Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

It's the owners' responsibility to take into account things that may affect their living experience, things such as neighbouring buildings and/or to-be-developed lots, and in this case design flourishes. If any owners are bothered by the bands it's their own damn faults, and they deserve to be thrown off the balcony. I'm sick of these twatty condo owners who buy in to a building and then complain about something that would've been so painfully obvious had they opened their stupid eyes.

I know I'm getting mad at theoretical people right now, but unfortunately people as stupid as described somehow exist, and even more bafflingly can manage to afford a condo.

Agreed. I'm surprised however, that no one has mentioned what seems to be quite obvious: that many if not most of the buyers purchased in this building because of the way it looks (eg. the bands).

The residents could eventually agree to remove the bands for better views and to save on maintenance. They'll probably stay though because the minor gains with removal would be offset by the building losing its landmark features.

I can't believe this discussion. The bands are a part of the design of the building and why it's so highly regarded. Why on earth would anyone want to remove them? Silly.

I can't believe this discussion. The bands are a part of the design of the building and why it's so highly regarded. Why on earth would anyone want to remove them? Silly.
well said!I second that. why move in there knowing the chance of obstructed view and have the nerve to complain about it.
agreed it wouldnt make much sense.

The Royal Alex is to the immediate west and that building is protected. Mirvish+Gehry is proposed to the west of that, which will leave enough space for Theatre Park's west facade to be visible from various angles.

From Bisnow: A deal for the 7,000 square foot restaurant space at Theatre Park is "firm" according to Hullmark development Vice President Aly Damji. Set to close in early 2015, the deal brings Icon Legacy Hospitality and INK Entertainment to the space with Canada's first Masaharu Morimoto branded restaurant.

From me: looking forward to it!

9ftZipU.jpg

What happens when somebody comes along and builds a tower just west of this building?
You won't see anything but the horizontal bands on King Street.

There are some generous distancing guidelines employed by the city (20 to 24 metres). But because the Royal Alex will lie right between, there should be a good amount of space to see the banding even when a building finally goes up to the west.

Last edited:
They've installed an exterior cladding panel at the top of the building, north west corner.

And it looks terrible - that horrible green colour - what were they thinking?

Indeed, the entire south and east (and possibly west) sides of the mechanical penthouse are completely clad, with metal bands and a greenish milky glass.

Back