Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

When I said adjacent, I meant above as well as that is also adjacent. There was no noise from above.

Next door to the west meanwhile, has no mimes, etc., they have, as previously noted, a yappy dog.

I've slept over. There's no problem with sound transmission that I've experienced. Spending most of Sunday there again, and I'll be listening. I'll get up-to-date shots too.

I wouldn't be surprised if those units are vacant. Noise from concrete ceilings is pretty common.

I wouldn't be surprised if those units are vacant. Noise from concrete ceilings is pretty common.

Can you name any Toronto condo projects from recent years that don't have "concrete ceilings"? That's how all recent projects are built; concrete slab. If you think the way your ceiling is treated makes a big difference, you are kidding yourself. It's not as though condos use drop ceilings or heavy insulation up there.

Unless you are just on a crusade here, explain to me how a finished ceiling in your unit would make a dramatic difference in sound transfer than a "concrete ceiling".

Last edited:
Can you name any Toronto condo projects from recent years that don't have "concrete ceilings"? That's how all recent projects are built; concrete slab. If you think the way your ceiling is treated makes a big difference, you are kidding yourself. It's not as though condos use drop ceilings or heavy insulation up there.

Unless you are just on a crusade here, explain to me how a finished ceiling in your unit would make a dramatic difference in sound transfer than a "concrete ceiling".

EXPOSED concrete ceilings. UD brought up RAW concrete...so that's what the conversation's about. Learn to follow along before making smart comments. Concrete tends to amplify impact noise, especially if not treated properly. If expressing this makes me a crusader....then so be it.

Last edited:
The unit upstairs is lived in. It has less to do with the concrete ceiling and more to do with the cushioning between the floor and the slab.

The unit upstairs is lived in. It has less to do with the concrete ceiling and more to do with the cushioning between the floor and the slab.

Cushioning. Again, if the developer does a good job you're in great shape. If they don't (which is common now) then you're not. By the way. I've seen the "cushioning" some developers use. No thicker than a piece of paper.

Let's agree to disagree and jump back on topic.

So you want to disagree that these apartments are quiet? Sure, live in whatever world you want to.

So you want to disagree that these apartments are quiet? Sure, live in whatever world you want to.

That's not what I said. I made a general comment about exposed concrete and you took issue with it (of course). If you want to argue against physics then by all means go ahead.

Of course, the sound transmission through raw concrete is worse than through concrete with a dry wall ceiling and a good cushion in the flooring above. We hear everything with our noisy neighbours who drop things all the time. If developer's 'finish' the ceiling it's nothing more than a skim coat nowadays, but Tridel and Plaza still use drywall I believe that significantly reduces noise transmission. I know of higher end units that put on a double layer of drywall That's ideal but costly. To do this right, the ceiling heights have to be built higher which would cost more, obviously.

Not sure why raw concrete benefits anyone except the developer who play off the marketing scheme and says it's 'cool' and 'loft-like'. NO, it's just plain cheap and absorbs so much artificial light at night making one's place dark. So vampires may enjoy this.

But I guess we should be happy with a $400k concrete box nowadays. To get it finished ideally would cost money and we live in the city anyway and should expect constant noise from neighbours through our concrete walls. Let's just hope the exposed concrete looks good and doesn't have a worker's glove in the ceiling like in my neighbours lol. Thanks Bluescape construction for your glove. Adds a real nice touch to a S+P design. NOT

I agree that the loft look benefits developers as it is less costly. They can also leave things in a rough unfinished state and call it character. That said, I like the look when done right. Of the units I have seen here, the developer has done a pretty good job.

I think the raw concrete aesthetic is too sophisticated for your average condo resident. The glove in the concrete is a classic example of pure industrial chic--love it!

It reminds me of the River City thread where residents whined about the "unfinished look." ha.

Architect/designers types love the purity of concrete undisguised by generic drywall. Although one feature wall with a retro Victorian wallpaper design would look fantastic against the concrete.

A couple pics from a couple hours ago:

DSC01653.jpg
DSC01656.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01653.jpg
    DSC01653.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 1,228
  • DSC01656.jpg
    DSC01656.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 1,222
From yesterday:

Kinky Boots Condo (such a good show!):
DSC03242.jpg

Close-up on the podium. Lots to look at more closely.
DSC03245.jpg

Water feature. Looks like it might splash over the upper lip. Do we assume there will be lights installed in the water, pointing up through it to have shadows dance on the wall behind and above the sculpture?
DSC03243.jpg

Front door, or hole waiting for front door. View through to Pearl Street.
DSC03261.jpg

Morimoto space, mostly obscured by reflection:
DSC03251.jpg

The gap between the podium and the theatre. The concrete will be clad.
DSC03254.jpg

Looking back down into the courtyard.
DSC03253.jpg

One last thing: maybe the most interesting and promising podium glazing in Toronto:
DSC03248.jpg

A little better angle:
DSC03249.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03242.jpg
    DSC03242.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 946
  • DSC03243.jpg
    DSC03243.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 918
  • DSC03245.jpg
    DSC03245.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 940
  • DSC03248.jpg
    DSC03248.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC03249.jpg
    DSC03249.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 943
  • DSC03251.jpg
    DSC03251.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 932
  • DSC03253.jpg
    DSC03253.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC03254.jpg
    DSC03254.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 945
  • DSC03261.jpg
    DSC03261.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 943
Great photos, thanks for the update. I found out the other day that a friend of mine is moving into Theatre Park. I hope to see his place someday.

Back