Toronto Theatre District Residence & Riu Plaza Hotel | 156.05m | 49s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

The last five posts on the preceding page were moved to this thread from the now-closed 8-20 Widmer thread, now that that property has been purchased and merged into the Theatre District Residence project. (If you want to read about the history of that part of this project, that thread will remain available.)

Thanks for the info @buycondo!

Last edited:
The pics:

They have botched this first one: these two buildings are the same Entertainment District table-top height of the others, so they should no appear taller than the Lightbox or Cinema Tower to the immediate east of them.
TheDistResAerSW1000.jpg

This one includes some imaginary towers to the northwest where Peter and Adelaide will rise, and to the west. Peter and Adelaide will not look vaguely like Festival Tower.
TheDistResAerW1032.jpg

This one has exaggerated separations between the south tower and the Hyatt as well as with 87 Peter.
TheDistResStrNW660.jpg

Attachments

• TheDistResAerSW1000.jpg
    TheDistResAerSW1000.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 699
  • TheDistResAerW1032.jpg
    TheDistResAerW1032.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 809
  • TheDistResStrNW660.jpg
    TheDistResStrNW660.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 618
We're finally getting buildings with solid walls between the windows! And if I'm not mistaken the facade are warm tone colours not cold. Creating that sixties, seventies look !

I'm hoping it's precast or cementitious panel, and not just aluminum.

Could someone please refresh my memory? Why is there a height limit in this area? and will there be any exceptions to that rule (other than Mirvish/Gehry)?

It's not one height limit for the ever expanding Entertainment District. The table top that has come to pass is not at all what was originally intended. There are several limits to create a smoother transition to the lowrise neighbourhood around the broader Entertainment District. The spectre of the OMB directly and indirectly has staff settling for the 157 metre height (including south of King) when developers have pushed for more.

Chances are the skyline would be a similar table top at a 200 metre height limit or no height limit. There's an endless supply of buyers. Why build any lower?

Last edited:
What's the height of these two towers ? The festival tower is close to around 157 meters. And these two towers look much taller at about 170 meters or more in the rendering .

I just did a search and I think you are right. I saw 65m google search but now I'm seeing closer to 75m. Thanks. I think I'm going to cancel it as I thought I was getting a clear view over the Hyatt when I purchased

By the time this is built, there would be 4 towers all along Mercer street , Nobu and King blue, that would probably obstruct the south views for most (or probably all) floors in that building.

Smart move. I know I'm being fooled. However, That Frankenstein design was so awful that I'm okay with these.

By zooming in on these photos . I find these towers especially their podiums blend in more better with the Victorian homes than the previous renderings ever did. With its warm tone colours of materials like the brick and precast stone. They really collaborates with these homes instead of overpowering them!

What's the height of these two towers ? The festival tower is close to around 157 meters. And these two towers look much taller at about 170 meters or more in the rendering .
If you read what I wrote in the post where I introduced the renderings, you'll see the answer.

To interchange42

Thanks I appreciate the info! The towers actually look better at the height in the rendering. Maybe they should slice five to ten storeys off the south tower and add it on to the north. To create some dynamics and breathing space between the two towers!

Back