Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Went to check it out today. Very nice building and space. My cousin said it reminded him of London. And I overheard the same thing from a random girl who walked by. My parents said it reminded them of Hudson Yards. A bunch of people asking me where it is on social media. So it’s definitely an impressive space.

Without question, the most refreshing development in this city. Toronto's new architectural gem. There are just too many good things to say about the quality and interest in this development. The holiday lights they have on display illuminating the canopy are really great I might add. I hope they keep a permanent lighting fixture on display. Here is a detail shot I took tonight. More coming soon - look out online for some on Sunday :)

♥ Dustin

TheWell_thelandofdustin_copyright.jpg

I really wanna see how the indoor/outdoor space looks in the weather. Where the snow will blow in, how the rain will drip in. Whether it’s aesthetic or just blech.
Yes, it does look a bit as though it was built by people who live in Nice or San Diego and it will be interesting to see how it deals with winter here but it DOES look fantastic!

Exposure to our harsh elements will be the real test of time for this place for sure, rain, shine or snow...

Nice review, mostly complimentary, by Alexandra Lange, from an NYC perspective:

Pulling the comparison with Hudson Yards because I thought it was interesting:
That easy comprehension and clarity of path immediately mark The Well as different from another mega-development, Manhattan’s Hudson Yards, which opened in 2019 with double the retail at 750,000 square feet. Despite the odds, Hudson Yards has become an economic success, generating hundreds of millions of dollars more revenue than expected.

Still, the design of Hudson Yards’s “vertical retail center” continues to fight shoppers’ desire lines. There is no central spot from which to comprehend the entire layout, no single stacked run of escalators from the ground floor to the top, and no food court in the body of the mall. At Hudson Yards, the ground floor is filled with luxury shops uninteresting to the tourists who stream through the front doors, their curiosity piqued, and then get the runaround on the way to the Shake Shack on level four. Chairs and tables have been added along the hallways, and the Uniqlo is buzzing, but you’ve really got to work for them.

The retail designers of The Well, BDP, have not made these obvious errors. You will be able to see (and likely hear) the marketplace from most points in the complex, and the 11,000 residents in the six residential buildings above will provide a built-in customer base for the greengrocer, butcher, baker, pharmacist and gym down below. This is not a mall for window shopping, but for everyday urban life — heavy on the food and entertainment, light on the fast-fashion retail.

Back