Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

I guess the rental market is going hot at The Well.

Taken from the IG ad!

Screenshot_20231030-215550_Instagram.jpg

From Indigo on October 28, 2023:

IMG_0709.jpeg
IMG_0712.jpeg
IMG_0718.jpeg
IMG_0719.jpeg
IMG_0720.jpeg
IMG_0721.jpeg

More photos from that Indigo here:

Prince Street Pizza on the same day:

IMG_0727.jpeg
IMG_0728.jpeg
IMG_0738.jpeg
IMG_0739.jpeg
IMG_0740.jpeg
IMG_0741.jpeg
IMG_0742.jpeg
IMG_0743.jpeg
IMG_0744.jpeg

I had to wait two hours in line to get my pizza, which is a Spicy Spring pie. It cost $40 and it was well worth the wait. The pizza took half an hour to cook. Thus, it took me two-and-a-half hours between entering the line and getting my pizza.

The Spicy Spring pie tasted amazing. It's my favourite pizza of all time, but given the price, it's not something I can eat often.

The mismatched colouring is a bit mystifying, but to be clear, there is nothing "cheaped out" on here. There's also no 'oil canning', @daptive, it's terracotta.
The mismatched colouring is mystifying? It makes perfect sense to me to present terra cotta in multiple tones, giving it a mottled look overall.

By having more than one tone you emphasize "this is a handcrafted product, made with natural materials, variations will occur." It speaks to care being taken, as opposed to the blandness we get from machined uniformity. It's the same effect one is looking for with brick, like in Prince Street Pizza, above.

Of course, the designers have to be quite deliberate about "randomizing" the differently toned panels to give an overall balance to the application: if all of the darker panels were at one end and the lighter ones were at another, it would simply looked botched, as was the case with the limestone panels applied to the exterior of the Womens College Hospital rebuild, and even the (highly machined yet still mismatched) slats on the surface of the ROM "Crystal."Here, they've gotten it just right to my eyes.

Back